Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 12:03

Plan: Atkins OWL + PP Phase II
Stats: 160/142/130
BF:?%/25.6%/20%
Progress: 60%
Question RE: ? on Protein Shakes and loss of appetite

I've started by 12 BFL Self-challenge and while I'm not using the BFL way of eating, more of an Atkins OWL WOE, I've started to add GNC's Mega Whey shakes to my diet (made with 3 oz cream, rest H20, 2-3 scoops mix).

I've been eating 6 meals/day since starting Atkins back in Jan but until now I've been eating high fat/low carb snacks, not shakes. But since I've started working out I needed to increase my protein while still making sure my carbs aren't terribly high. So Mega Whey shakes are low in carbs but high in protein, 40 grams/serving.

Ok, back to my question. Until I started with the shakes, I've had no problem eating my 6 meals/day. I've stayed within the recommendations most importantly within the fat/protein/carb levels. Now that I've been working out, my appetite has actually decreased (which is the complete the opposite from what used to happen when I'd work out years ago). And when I have a shake (usually for a mid-am snack) I'm not even close to being hungry for my lunch. I'm actually so stuffed I can barely drink my water. But I do make myself drink anyway.

I'm not hungry again until 2-3 PM which is fine but I'm not drinking the shakes for a meal replacement. They're supposed to be a protein supplement. If I cut out my shakes, it's going to be a challenge to get in all my protein for the day. Right now, I need about 120-150 grams/day. I managed to eat that once with just meat, eggs, & cheese but my calories were 3000+. Not terrible but a bit high for me.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem with protein shakes?

Annie G.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 14:24

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hi, Annie -

I'm no expert, but I did a BFL challenge that ended in mid-March and I'm doing a CKD now so I've been working out for a while. A few things come to mind:

1. First, I'd say that shake might have too much fat in it. I am not anti-fat by any means , but it satiates you more than anything else. It might just be making you full. I make my shakes w/ 8 oz. water, 5 ice cubes and 1 oz. of cream and I have one or two a day, no problem, as supplements.

2. How long have you been working out? I found that my appetite actually decreased until maybe week 4 or 5 - then I was ravenous.

3. I find it possible to eat 160-200 g of protein and stay under 2200 calories, but only if I use poultry and fish as my main sources of protein. It's pretty hard to do it with cheese and eggs. Don't get me wrong - eggs are great, but you need to eat about 3.5 to get a decent amount of protein in.

HTH

Dani
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 20:02

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default appetite

Jeez, wish I had that problem ... LOL. I use fat burners, and STILL my appetite is out of control.

however, as Dani said fat had a satiating effect, as does protein. This could be the reason for your temporary appetite supression.

Tell you what ... Go have yourself a hard, HARD leg training session (LBWO, I think that's what you BFLers call it) ... The kind where you can barely walk afterward. Wait until the next day and let me know how your appetite is ...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 08:22

Smile Thanks DivaDani and TrainerDan

I've just started the BFL program this week but I did a trial week last week to get used to the flow of the workouts.

I'm not using the BFL way of eating, but sticking to low carb Atkins OWL (between 30-40 grams for me right now). Chances are, once I get going on my workouts, I'll be able to increase the carbs. But for now, I want to stay in ketosis and workout.

TrainerDan, I had one of those last week in my trial BFL period. OMG, for the whole weekend following, it was a struggle to go down the stairs. Plus, I was taking 10-15 gms of glutamine to keep the pain to a minimum. I think once I get going on my workouts for a while, my appetite will come back... hopefully.

When I make my shakes, I do add 3 oz of cream. I guess I could cut back on the fat... But then my calories will have to come from either protein or carbs. Not sure what I'll do there.

DivaDani, I used to easily eat 3 fried eggs for breakie but now I've been making protein crepes with 2 eggs, scoop of whey protein and 3 oz half and half. I've actually cut back on my cheese intake and pushed myself to eating more chicken. So hopefully I'm heading in the right direction.

Thanks again you two for your help.

I'll post if anything changes.

Annie G
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 08:53

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default protein ...

Yeah, leg days are fun. LOL.

As for reducing the fat cals, I would replace them with protein calories since the body doesn't process them as efficiently as it does fat or carbs.

In my shakes, I find that 2 Tablespoons per shake is adequate to make taste good ... and I also take at least 3 shakes per day. But, I also add 1 T. flax to each, so the fat conent of each shake is easily 20g ... and STILL my appetite is out of control ... LOL ...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 09:25

Exclamation Update... My appetites back!!!

Just to let everyone know, my appetite's back and it's hungrier than ever! Thank goodness!

Cut back on scoop of protein in my shakes to 2. Was feeling too bloated drinking 3 scoops. Also cut back the cream (a little bit )

Workouts are getting better each time. More energy, more muscle, heavier weights! What could be better?

Annie G.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 07:54

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Annie, I was reading something this weekend that made me think of this post. Whey protein is a fast empyting protein - it gets out of your stomach quickly and to your muscles. It also contains Glycomacropeptides (GMPs). These are BCAA that trigger the release of CCK, a powerful hormone that suppresses appetite. I've found that my new protein powder makes me feel incredibly full right after and for about 2 1/2 hours later, and I make it with nothing but water.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 11:11

Default re: bcaa in protein shakes

My Mega Whey shakes do have BCAA in them so when I drink my shakes (just 1-2 scoops now) I do get really full for an hour to two after. I did a little experiment and stopped drinking them for the weekend and found that my appetite was HUGE. So I'm guessing it's just the shakes so I cut way back to just 1 scoop per shake or 2 if I use it as a meal instead of a snack.

From GNC:

"Mega Whey™ combines 40 grams of whey protein per serving with 5 grams of glutamine and 3 grams of branched chain amino acids (BCAA)... One of the many attributes of whey is that it has high bioavailability when compared to other protein sources and supplies (BCAA) which are essential amino acids that are part of muscle protein and help reduce the amount of protein breakdown during exercise*"