Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-17, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 410/320/260 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Can you get away with more carbs if 1 meal IF?

Hey guys.

I just hit my one year.

I lost 60 lbs the first 6 months.
Lost 30 lbs the next 6 months.

I put part of that of the fat I traveled about 15 days which I didn't abide my diet so between that and let's say 45 days losing that gained weight, the last 6 months was short 45 days. That said, still a slow down.

Trying to continue the pace up, I've been doing a lot more intermittent fasting as my losses have gotten smaller. I'd say in a 10 day period, I'll do something like this.

4 days with one meal a day (15-20 carbs)
4 days with two meals a day (20-25 carbs total) with those meals 6 hours apart
2 days with two meals a day (20-30 carb total) with those meals being 12 hours apart.

What I wanted to ask is let's say I could do 5-8 days out of 10 where I had had one meal a day, but it was more in the 30-40 carb range.......... with the other days being some mix of what is described above (let's say one of each).

Would that work better (having some days high on carbs but packed into one meal?).

I think I could really stick to that but am just wondering if doing so what improve my loss or slow it down compared to what I already do. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-17, 23:15
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

That's essentially what I do to maintain or lose if exercising. I would give it a go. It's IF 23/1 or the "Warrior Diet" developed for the IDF:

http://www.defensenutrition.com/the-warrior-diet-2/

Some good pointers on that site.

A similar one on here are the CAD/CALP diets:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100

I prefer to fast till 1:30 PM most days then start lunch my main meal of the day so my stomach is mostly empty before bed time so I sleep better and don't get too hungry at night. You have to discover what works for you and is rather easy to tolerate. Some days I am more hungry than others and break with routine. I avoid snacking or eating unless hungry.

Last edited by mike_d : Mon, Jul-31-17 at 23:38.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-17, 04:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Agree with what Mike wrote, you should try different versions and see what works for you. Also adding that your weight loss may depend on what foods those extra carbs are...more broccoli or a few light beers on the weekend? Have you tried cutting dairy? Are you adding extra oils that have no carbs but lots of calories? Check the foods as well as the timing. A new 5 minute video about Stalling on LC. https://youtu.be/-pJ_8EP65Mc
Not that you are stalled, 90 pounds in a year is amazing!! but some tips from Dr Westman...the other videos on that channel may also help.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-17, 13:36

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

If you are insulin resistant, you may find that more than ~12g carbs at one sitting can cause a higher bump in insulin and stall fat burning. Dr. Bernstein recommends up to 12g for T1 diabetics; I'm not a diabetic, but found this seems to be my number too, so I aim for <10g/meal to be on the safe side. If I have more than that, or eat carbs with no protein & fat, I'm hungry 2 hrs later so I know it is affecting my insulin and hunger-suppression hormone levels.

When IFing in a 4-6hr window, I can handle two ~10g carb meals if they are at least 3 hrs apart (or 3 meals/snacks in an 8-hr window). YMMV, but trial & error and writing everything down is how I figured out what works best for me.

You've been doing a great job and are still losing more than 1 lb/week, which may be the fastest your body can go right now, and this will slow to 0/wk when you hit your goal. So a slowing pace of weight loss is to be expected. The key thing is to find other things besides the scale to motivate you, like how liberating it is to be hunger-free. For me it was also coming to this form to learn new things to tweak to get even more health improvements.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Aug-01-17 at 14:03.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-17, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%

WOW! 90lbs in a year is great.

I have read you do not want to eat a boat load of carbs in one meal. I am doing IF and only eat one meal a day and maybe one snack. My window is usually around 23hrs to 18hrs. I eat less than 10g carbs a day.

As long as you are losing it's good. Better than gaining. It may be slow, but it adds up.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-17, 05:31
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

There's another path to the same place, but it depends on YOUR body.

The body is amazingly adaptable, but loves routine. I keep mine off balance. By that, I mean that I don't eat meals at the same time of day. Sometimes I eat OMAD, no snacks, sometimes I eat several times a day. Sometimes more carbs, sometimes fewer. For me, as long as I stay away from sugar, it works. As a postmenopausal female, I continue to slowly lose.

As always, YMMV.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-17, 17:03
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
There's another path to the same place, but it depends on YOUR body.

The body is amazingly adaptable, but loves routine. I keep mine off balance. By that, I mean that I don't eat meals at the same time of day. Sometimes I eat OMAD, no snacks, sometimes I eat several times a day. Sometimes more carbs, sometimes fewer. For me, as long as I stay away from sugar, it works. As a postmenopausal female, I continue to slowly lose.

As always, YMMV.
So true, mixing things up can make a difference. Sometimes I have an nutrient dense snack in the morning if I feel like I can't make it till 2 PM with just mineral water and black coffee.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-17, 14:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 410/320/260 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thanks guys for all the input. Part of this is driven by a) I want to keep up the pace with my weight loss.

b) I am looking for some more flexibility in what I eat/drink.

The IF component for me is not that hard to do. Staying low carb really isn't that hard for me either but I think that's going to change soon as I am relocating and think a lot more of my meals will be in groups (personal and business).

I think I'd like to test if I can do true low carb (15-20 carbs) with IF half the time (at least 20 hours in between) and then basically the same setup but at a higher carb count 30-50 half the days. Maybe not half the days, as I imagine there will be 2-5 days a month where I do two meals a day.

I think as long as I keep carbs out of my home which is pretty easy to do, I'll be good.

If I can lose 3-5 lbs a month doing this, I'd be very happy.

If not, I'd probably be okay just losing a few pounds a month. If I'm staying even or gaining weight, that would be a bummer and I'd go back to really strict keto which is fine but I think is going to be a challenge for me as I adjust to a new lifestyle.

Thanks again for the help
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-17, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdude

If I can lose 3-5 lbs a month doing this, I'd be very happy.

I have been losing 3-4lbs a week. I do IF usually 20-23 hrs fasting a day. Only one meal and maybe a small snack a day.

Hope that helps.