Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#286   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-16, 07:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

http://www.dietdoctor.com/new-study...t-heart-failure

Quote:
New Study: Reducing Salt Might Harm Heart Failure Patients

Is salt good or bad for you? This is a hotly debated topic. For most people moderation may be the best answer.

A brand new study shakes the old advice that people with heart failure should avoid salt – something all heart failure patients get the advice to do, based on zero real evidence.

A new study tracked 900 patients with heart failure for three years. It found that people who restricted their salt intake surprisingly did MUCH worse, having an 85% higher chance of early death or hospitalization:

JACC: Impact of Dietary Sodium Restriction on Heart Failure Outcomes CME
WebMD: Reducing Salt Might Harm Heart Failure Patients
It may be that the current low salt advice to heart failure patients – that everyone gets – is lethal. They may need salt. Future randomized studies are required to know for sure.
Sponsored Links
  #287   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-16, 11:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Thanks, Janet. Daughter's FIL is a retired radiology tech, and, of course, wouldn't listen to me. I'm female and he can't understand me that well, anyway.

But he'll listen to a cardiologist; I just texted her, suggesting that she tell him to ask his cardiologist about the study, and to tell FIL that it was published in the JACC.
  #288   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-16, 12:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The opinion on salt is slowly changing, but changing it is. Many elderly who have been the recipients of anti-salt preaching suffer the consequences of dehydration, fainting, and other health issues due to self-induced low salt levels. Even those who have targeted salt as the cure for HBP and CVD are starting to back off recently due to current information. With all the recent refutations of nutritional guidelines from the past 30 years, it's beginning to sound like that Firesign Theater album, "Everything You Know Is Wrong!"
  #289   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-16, 04:55

Rob, totally agree I enter the real world and see the opposite of what we read here. Is it me? Or them? Harvard Medical offered their weight loss "special report" yesterday...I stopped after the first two tidbits from it:

1. Eat foods that are filling and low in calories. That means, as often as possible, your meals and snacks should include whole grains, such as brown rice, whole-wheat bread, and oatmeal, as well as legumes, such as lentils and other beans. And don't forget to fill at least half your plate with fruits and vegetables.

2. When you eat meat, cut out fat and cut down portion sizes. Choose lean cuts of meat and modest amounts — about 3½ or 4 ounces per serving (which is roughly the size of your palm).

(Even Walter Willett doesn't think we should cut out fat completely...did anyone ask him before this went out? Sure they would suggest reducing salt down too, but I saved $20 by not ordering).

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-03-16 at 05:06.
  #290   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-16, 06:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I wonder if it is the salt restriction per se that's at fault here, though.

http://heartfailure.onlinejacc.org/...ticleid=2479143

Quote:
Results Sodium intake data were available for 833 subjects (145 sodium restricted, 688 sodium unrestricted), of whom 260 were propensity matched into sodium restricted (n = 130) and sodium unrestricted (n = 130) groups. Sodium restriction was associated with significantly higher risk of death or HF hospitalization (42.3% vs. 26.2%; hazard ratio [HR]: 1.85; 95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.21 to 2.84; p = 0.004), derived from an increase in the rate of HF hospitalization (32.3% vs. 20.0%; HR: 1.82; 95% CI: 1.11 to 2.96; p = 0.015) and a nonsignificant increase in the rate of cardiac death (HR: 1.62; 95% CI: 0.70 to 3.73; p = 0.257) and all-cause mortality (p = 0.074). Exploratory subgroup analyses suggested that sodium restriction was associated with increased risk of death or HF hospitalization in patients not receiving angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor or angiotensin receptor blocker (HR: 5.78; 95% CI: 1.93 to 17.27; p = 0.002).

Mild salt restriction hasn't really been shown to be all that effective. Salt restriction here is defined as aiming at under 2500 mg of sodium a day. Maybe in this case, the nutritional intervention of decreasing salt, when it's done instead of an effective drug therapy, results in an increase in hospitalization.
  #291   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 23:11

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 199.0/179/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:46.8
Progress: 25%

Last night I had some palpitations, normally I get them occasionally but they last for a few seconds, last night I got them and they lasted for 2 hours!
I am going through the menopause and have been suffering with awful hot flushes and night sweats, they are so bad that my clothes are soaked with sweat and a towel that I have with me at night gets soaked too.
I am obviously losing a lot of electrolytes and am wondering if just taking more himalayan salt will fix it, I did resort to licking some off my hand last night

The only medication I am taking is Karvea 75mg I got this description off the web:
Karvea belongs to a group of medicines known as angiotensin-II receptor antagonists
Not sure if that will agravate anything.
  #292   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 07:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

That's just exactly the sort of drug that might affect something. Anything involving angiotensin-II will have effects on electrolyte balance.

Angiotensin II inhibitors decrease production of aldosterone;

Quote:
Aldosterone is part of the renin–angiotensin system. Drugs that interfere with the secretion or action of aldosterone are in use as antihypertensives, like lisinopril, which lowers blood pressure by blocking the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE), leading to lower aldosterone secretion. The net effect of these drugs is to reduce sodium and water retention but increase retention of potassium.

This stuff is used to lower blood pressure--but sometimes it's given to treat other conditions. Many of the low carb books I've read warn that people on blood pressure medication should work with their doctors, because it might be necessary to wean them off the medication.
  #293   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 09:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I got terrible palpitations with my early menopause. Drinking caffeine or booze made it much worse. The good news is it went away after 1 or 2 years. Bad news is, it took 1-2 years for it to go away!
  #294   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 14:27

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Do you take magnesium? Or how about an electrolyte formula such as this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...034578ZJNBZRF8V

Or even Smart Water. I was advised to drink that (or Gatorade) when I had chemo and it helped a lot.

Dr. William Davis has an electrolyte recipe. I'll find it in my journal if you're interested.
  #295   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Do you take magnesium? Or how about an electrolyte formula such as this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...034578ZJNBZRF8V

Or even Smart Water. I was advised to drink that (or Gatorade) when I had chemo and it helped a lot.

Dr. William Davis has an electrolyte recipe. I'll find it in my journal if you're interested.

I would appreciate the recipe!
  #296   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 05:32

#297   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 19:00

Thank you!
I do have a question though, what it seltzer?
I'm in Australia and have no idea what it is!
  #298   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 19:49

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Here's the whole thing, from the Total Health book:

Electrolyte Water per Dr. Davis

1 quart water
4 oz unsweetened coconut water
4 oz magnesium water*
1/2 tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

*Magnesium Water:

1 liter seltzer (not club soda)
1 and half TB unflavored milk of magnesia

Further tips on making the mg water here: http://www.afibbers.org/Wallerwater.pdf

The Difference Between Club Soda, Seltzer And Tonic Water

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/..._n_1434891.html

Last edited by JLx : Thu, Jan-07-16 at 19:51. Reason: info re seltzer
  #299   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-16, 18:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

TRY to tell someone who went off LC and is now coming back that the weakness they have is probably because of low salt and referenced this thread.

They do not want to "blow up" and think they will pee more??? They salt food "liberally" (we all know that is not enough).

Please hold me back from saying something not very nice....
  #300   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-16, 09:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly07
Thank you!
I do have a question though, what it seltzer?
I'm in Australia and have no idea what it is!

Water with carbonation. I can it fuzzy water.