Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 14:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Is it a fibroid? I've heard they often shrink after menopause, unless you're doing HRT.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 14:52

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Yes, it is a fibroid. And I've also heard that. A big part of me wants to just wait it out for the next.....5 years. I do not want to take HRT. The big draw for surgery is, I'm sick of the 5 months pregnant look, I'm worried about my bladder, and during TOM I'm homebound. BUT.....I don't want to end up with problems that make these seem like nothing by having the surgery done.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 15:05

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What are you concerned about?

I'm not asking for an answer on here. It seems like you're very concerned about a possible outcome that doesn't seem that likely to me. The women who've told me they've had troublesome fibroids removed are glad they had it done--I'm guessing maybe you have a different story?

One woman had MANY fibroids, two-week periods, half-hourly changes in super-plus protection. She was very protective of her uterus and finally went in for the cauterization, but they couldn't get them all because they limit the volume of irrigation fluid. Some time later, she had a hysterectomy, and since I've heard her say she doesn't know why she waited that long. She had a major energy surge from not being anemic all the time.

I have one; it's not too bothersome right now so I'm not worrying about it. But it's walnut, not football.

Good luck.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 15:26

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I'm there with you all right now. Am awaiting for the results of my MRI even as I speak. So they haven't recommended anything yet, but I've researched until I'm blue in the face.

But every story I've heard from women I know is that they are so happy when they finally get a hysterectomy. I have periods that are too heavy to move for about 10 days, and then drip for anotehr week. Terrible backaches and now bladder problems. And the tiredness...even with all the meat my iron is too low. And the six month pregancy look even with low carb!

Not sure what I'll do...had thought about waiting out menopause, but the last time they did a hormone check on me they said I wasn't even close. So I'm not sure what my decision will be.

sorry, I guess this isn't helping much.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 15:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/125/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 100%

Women in my family seems to have our reproductive systems affected by too much meat, esp. red meat. My aunt had to go on macrobiotic, my mom had to cut out meat, and when I started doing atkins and eating meat, I got cramps, irregular periods and spotting. My mom seems to think it's the hormones in meat. I have no idea how this works, but you might try switching to vegetarian low carb for awhile.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 15:49
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carblight
Josiemk

when you had your fibroid removed, how did they do it? And , if you do not mind sharing, how big was your fibroid? I might have to have mine removed to and the word hysterctomy has been floating around. I really do not want to have a hysterectomy at 37 years old if I can avoid it. Curious to know what procedure they used to remove yours and how that worked for you...only if you do not mind sharing. I know these things are rather intimate stuff :-) and probably off topic with low carbing...

I got mine scraped and cauterized..myomectomy. I had about 6, the largest was grapefruit size. My sister had the same, she had the same procedure. We both had heavy bleeding and I had sometimes unbearable pain.

There is no need to get a hysterectomy in these days!!!

Blacks used to have the overwhelming majority of fibroids, now fibroids are increasing among white women.

During my research I found that fibroids are a sign of vitamin D insufficiency.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Mon, Jul-17-06 at 15:56.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 17:52

BF:

Thanks for all the responses, they are much appreciated. I think my biggest concern is that right now I don't have any big problems stemming from it. I think the decision would be easy if I were in pain.

Quote:
Not sure what I'll do...had thought about waiting out menopause, but the last time they did a hormone check on me they said I wasn't even close.
Same here.

Quote:
And the six month pregancy look even with low carb!
For me.....that's at the top of my list of reasons to have it done. That and the bladder problem.

Quote:
So I'm not sure what my decision will be
Well, I hope you'll come back here and let us know what you do decide. I know for me, I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 17:56

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

I'm going for ultrasound on Wed - actually hoping for *big fibroid* rather than *something else* - I know I have fibroids but either one decided to take off big-time or ... we'll see what's what. If it is just bigger fibroid - I'll be following your (you all) decisions with interest.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
Removal of the uterus will not cause menopause although it will stop your periods; it's removal of the ovaries which will bring on a surgical menopause.

I have read that removing uterus will cut blood supply to ovaries, and impact ovarian function, even tubal ligation can damage ovaries.
As for LC and estrogen connection, there is one IMHO. Estradiol as well as other steroid hormones, made of Cholesterol, and it also takes saturated fat to make cholesterol, so diet higher in fat and cholesterol will result in higher estrogen. Carbs (especially whole grains and high fiber vegetables), block some of the estrogen from being re-absorbed from intestines back into liver, and carry it away with waste. So low carb can alter steroid hormones production in our body.
Fat cells make estrogen (estrone) mostly when ovaries shutting down, during and post-menopause. Before that estradiol is principal female estrogen and is made in ovaries. Being overweight messes up all hormones in general because of higher insulin level, that impairs ovarian and adrenal function in young females.

Last edited by dina1957 : Tue, Jul-18-06 at 12:50.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 12:53

So, I thought I'd post what I've found out.

First, had to fire my current doctor. After I did, her office said it would be 2-3 weeks before I could get my records...I already have an appointment this Thursday with someone who was recommended to me...so i bypassed the doctor and got my records from the hospital that did the sonogram and MRI.

So...I not only have fibroids, I have something called adenomyosis. This is not endometriosis, but similar because endometrial tissue somehow gets into the muscular wall of the uterus and grows etc just like endometriosis.

I suspect, based on info and my symptoms, that I've had this since the birth of my last child...and the fibroids have been around only about 6-7 years.

Plus, when they did the sonogram they saw the follicle getting ready to burst open on the right ovary (ovulation) which means I ain't even close to menopause.

So, for now, until I see the doctor, I'm thinking that a hysterectomy is in order. I'm very tired of feeling this way and dealing with this stuff.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 06:36

BF:

Sorry things have gone so badly with your doctor. I hope you'll update after seeing your new doctor. I am suppose to go in for a hysterectomy July 31st. We'll see if I make it. I'm wearing myself out changing my mind every 15 mins.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 13:48

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

well, my ultrasound came back -- and the good news is all that I have is fibroids - now what (if anything) to do about it. as the tech said "has anyone mentioned that your uterus is REALLY big?"
well - I go back to my gyn-onc in Sep - maybe we'll discuss options then- even though this isn't his area of expertise per se.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 15:18

Well, if the sonogram shows your uterus is "really big" then it might be worthwhile having an MRI.

That's part of what I have with the adenomyosis and it wasn't seen on the sonogram...I actually would have just thought I had only fibroids and only one of those, if I hadn't of done the MRI.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-06, 14:04

Back from the third dcotor now and nothing but good news.

She thinks the adenomyosis is just a part of aging and not serious because of where it was found. But she said it does cause pressure and won't go away until I go through menopause.

But re: the fibroids and extreme menstrual problems. I've pretty much decided on an ablation using HTA and at which time she'll use a resectoscope to remove the fibroids.

Of course, if the adenomyosis is cuasing more of the symptoms that we suspect, then I may have to eventually have a hysterectomy.

But I'm good with this for right now. I will just be out of commission the day of and the day after the procedure (or so), except heavy lifting etc for two weeks. It's an immediate fix too, so I feel pretty good about going this conservative route for now.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-17, 15:36

Plan: Modified keto
Stats: 230/222/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Carb light. You asked in 05 if anyone experienced anything like you did with ending up in ER from fibroid pain due to LC. I did. Miserable pain. Scared me off the diet for months. I think it's fibroids I have, but something let loose from wall and fell. Where are you since with this? Now 2017. Any suggestions besides upping to 40-60 carbs? Anyone else? Thank you.