Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 08:28

Plan: Medical Weight Loss
Stats: 180/163/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default At My Witts End!

Hi, my name is Cat.

In Feb 2012, I found myself at my heaviest - 180lbs - and decided to join Medical Weight Loss Clinic. I lost 35 lbs pretty quickly and was working on my last 5 lbs. Then, in Oct 2012 I suddenly gained 20 lbs in approx 3 weeks... I also felt very tired, and had body aches. When the heart palputations began, I went to my doctor who diagnosed me with hypothyroidism. I was put on Synthroid (25mg). At this point, I weighed 160lbs. No matter what I did - 1 hour Zumba classes, followed by weight lifting, 5x week - I couldn't loose weight. I'm not a fan of taking any medicine so I sought out a Naturologist. After looking at my labs, she suggested I increase my dosage of Synthroid to 50mg. Ideally, she said I should go on Armour but we were going to wait till I got results of my Adrenal test. Turns out some of my hormones were off (not a big shock as I am 50) and my cortisol was out of whack (waking was 10, mid afternoon was 4... when it should be more like 6 or 7)... anyway, I started a program (about 6 weeks ago) of taking Cortrex, Thyrocsin, Pregnenolone and Armour Thyroid (30mg) instead of Synthroid.
I watch my carbs but honestly, I have been eating more carbs than I used to because NOTHING seems to tip the scale in my favor...so I guess I'm to the point of why bother? I DO eat healthy... organic whenever possible, no (or VERY little) fried foods, mostly proteins and veggies.... but I am up to 163lbs. I am SO frustrated.
I will have my regular doctor run blood tests again to see if any of these herbs have helped and to see if Armour should be increased....
does anyone know how long it takes for a body to adjust from Synthroid to Armour? My doc wanted to test in 4 weeks but my Naturologist said it takes 3 months for herbs to have effect. It's been about 6 weeks now and I feel if I just look at food, I gain weight ; (
Any insight or advise anyone can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links