Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2281   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 06:56

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Wow- for not feeling good I sure had a load to put on the thread! Read what ya want and toss the rest!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2282   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 07:39

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

got internet troubles.

on Tony's Verizon hot spot but he is leaving to go to Charter/Spectrum for new modem and more problems we are having have to be discussed.

will chat up later, be back in full force---well maybe if all the new modem crap works we shall see

we are the type to 'fix' a problem and get WAY MORE darn problems that are worse than the first even LOL

ugh
  #2283   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 08:43

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Jaz- not Thai, Indian. So think Chicken Tikki Masala, Butter Chicken, some things with lentils/ chickpeas and the like. Really fascinating flavors that I hadn't been familiar with.

Sorry that your chicken made your tummy sick. That is no fun. Yeah, definitely toss it but especially for only three bucks not worth the return trip.

Glad you picked out a new washer/dryer. Hopefully that will be all that you need to deal with for a while. I know you are over the expenses!

I think you being gone is the best thing for M to experience. Good on you for leaving her own reports for her to do.

Blue- Oh girl, you know how I feel about books, and you do too, so I know that was hard. I have kept some childhood book favorites both from my own and from my kids. Those are sentimental IMO the same as smells or tastes-- they take you right back. Did you know that we read the Polar Express aloud every single Christmas Eve? Love it- the writing, the drawings. My kids will each get a copy of that, and Santa Mouse, and the Night Before Christmas to continue the reading tradition in their own families. It is the last part of our xmas eve traditions and they all curl up together on the couch to listen, piled up like puppies. Fi is in the pile now too.

BTW, you big talkers (Jaz, Blue, I'm talking to you!) are more than welcome. I love it. You just keep on with your long newsy posts.

Lori- I laughed aloud about your Dh rushing you along, and you having none of it. My DH is similar. It is funny though, particularly regarding airlines, I am much more likely to get here with a large margin of time now. For YEARS I was that chick running literally running through the airport trying to get there as they were closing the doors. Well, security lines have ended that fun.. they can be fast (as they were today) or 45 minutes long. Between that and boarding starting 30 minutes early, I am usually camping out for a while just to be on the safe side.

Man, I totally agree with Jaz about the attic. Who KNOWS what kind of treasures are up there and what might be there of value?! I'd be all over it!

I hope you have a really really excellent trip!

Jaz again- Yeah she is picking me up here at the airport. She is near Piedmont Hospital, for a point of reference. I know exactly where Ashford Dunwoody is- I went to Ashford Elementary for a year. My grandmother lived in Sandy Springs.

I think the ToastMasters would be a good idea. Why not? You can try it for a year and then see what you think. And you might make some new friends!

Trig- Sorry about the modem/internet issues. That stinks!

••••••••••••••

So I have been hanging out in the airport way too long. The flight was supposed to leave at around 10, with boarding starting around 9:30, so I had Dh get me here around 8- figured I would go through security which at times can be REALLY long here, and then grab a bite and some coffee. Well, security was a BREEZE-- they had a K9 officer and dog, so we didn't have to take off shoes, unload electronics or liquids or anything -- no bins at all. It was super quick, which was awesome. So I was through there by like 8:10. I went over the diner and had a good breakfast and coffee, read a paper and some of my Kindle. Then I got a text on the way to the gate-- flight delayed from 10 AM departure to 12:20. UGH. Really?? So I've been doing some walking and right now I am sneaking time at a table at a wine place that doesn't really seem open yet. It's only 10:36 so I have plenty of time to kill still.

So I think this trip will go okay- I am not staying with my Mom so I will have some space from her. I will have evenings, over night and probably until at least 10 AM before she comes over. By then I will be restless. I am staying by Lenox/Phipps which has tons of shops etc so if she ends up not coming until late I can wander around that area. I can take her pretty well in small doses as long as I counsel myself to be patient. It is usually about 2.5 days in that I start really freaking out and I will be leaving by then.

So, are you guys paper boarding passes or text/phone boarding passes? Just curious. I use my phone. No paper to keep up with.

Bah, I am bored and restless! I can waste tons of time until I am told I have to and then I get stir crazy. I am so fickle and contrary. One of my worst traits. DS19 asked me about my plans once DS16 goes to college and I told him I cannot imagine actually working under/for anyone. Even in my younger years I had great difficulty with that. I HATE being told what to do or being directed in any way. I am very much an independent worker/thinker.

Ok enough about me. I might wander back over to the gate in a bit. I've walked up and down the various terminals to get some steps in, but I have to drag all my stuff around with me.

See ya later!
  #2284   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 16:38

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Hello from Virginia! We are so glad we decided to only drive halfway today as traffic was not good. 3 or 4 crashes that had us slowing for miles. Just as we would get going again, another alert would pop up on Google maps about another traffic slow down. Frustrating, but we are safe and in our hotel for the night. We'll get going by 8 or so in the morning.

Trig...hope your Internet is an easy fix.

Nic... I always like to get to the airport and thru security early. Sorry your flight was delayed. Hope you are there and settled.

Jaz.. Hope you're feeling better by now.

Hi Blue.. Hope you had a good Saturday.

I'll check in from Myrtle beach tomorrow!
  #2285   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 17:43

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Trig---UGH, I hate computer problems. Sure had my share this year with my desktop burning out and then me spilling a waterfall of iced coffee over my barely one year old laptop. But y'know, these days I just grit my teeth and get it done because you just cannot be without a computer for more than a a day or two these days in business. Literally impossible. And who wants to do it concerning personal needs either? I think of my computer as like having a whole library on my desk, there's literally nothing you can't find, no question you can't get answered in a few clicks. SIGH, we're all slaves to technology now.

Jaz---My tummy rolled over reading about your bad chicken. I think chicken is the most sensitive of meats, both to spoilage or being undercooked. Almost any other meat will tell you by the smell that it isn't edible. Not chicken. Hope you're feeling better now.

Hee hee, I lovz that you didn't do your boss's reports for her. Interesting that she was extra badly behaved when you were gone. I have a feeling she doesn't want you to see that. Has fear you're on the upper's radar in a good way. Just a spidey sense. Good luck w/re-entry Monday. Man, I hate that after a vacay.

Think your next school course sounds so interesting. I have thought many times when you mention your assignments, that they would be fun to write about. You've had a break and good to hear your enthusiasm to get back in there. Proud of you.

Lori---Yay, you're off. And now cozy in your hotel. Tomorrow will be so much easier and less stressful for the stop, and then you'll be there. I have to go google Myrtle Beach as I'm not familiar. Love to do that when you gals travel, so I can visualize where you are.

Nic---That is so darn sweet that you still have a reading tradition on Xmas Eve and all the overgrown kids pile up like kitties to listen. I think we all want to find a way to get back to childhood, if only for a few moments. So great you provide that.

Oh man, I hate being stuck in airports, in fact, I pretty much hate airports and flying. Yeah you can kill some time in the shops, but they're pretty much over priced and crappy tourist stuff. And the seats in airports are the most uncomfortable seats anywhere, so even reading, something I can usually lose myself in, is uncomfortable and "itchy."

Had to laugh about you being the gal who was always running thru the airport to catch a flight before they closed the doors. Slap me five sister, that was me too. NO MORE. Age has taught me some stress is just not worth it if given a choice to avoid it.

Didn't realize you weren't staying w/mom. Sigh of relief for you. That will sure help, and maybe even add in some happy, relaxed and alone moments for you. Hope your mom is doing better, really do. I know she's not easy, but still.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today a great pal of mine took me out for an early b'day lunch. Oh my, did we have fun. We were there 4 hours!!! We ate at a downtown Marquette hotel that has some memories for us, and we had the place pretty much to ourselves so we didn't have to worry about over staying our welcome.

She and I get started and we just ping from subject to subject, and giggle like school girls. God, I just love that woman. She is my professional singer friend, so talented words can't express. She also has a lantern in her soul, and it's impossible to be down or blue with her for even 5 minutes.

Food was fab, half LC, half not. We split everything. But again, I really watched how much I ate. Never felt full or stuffed, and treats were not big.

Off to watch our latest TV series w/the hubby. "The Affair." Season 4 on Showtime. We have three to catch up with. Really good.
  #2286   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 06:33

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Lori, very glad you split your trip halfway. The traffic along the 95 corridor is a beast as you well know, and some areas of VA and MD are going to back up no matter what day or time. Car crashes just make it worse! I'm sure you are also seeing end-of-holiday-week traffic. I hope today goes better for you.

Blue- Love, love, love reading about your time with your gal pal. It sounds fabulous and wonderful and exactly like what you needed. Thrilled for you! That kind of get together is healing and beneficial.

Hope you and Hubs enjoyed your time watching a show together. I am going to be finishing up Season One of The Big Family Cooking Showdown soon. I can't get enough of those British cooking shows!

•••••••••••••••

Well, I'm here.

I'm not even sure what else to say about that for now and on a public forum as well, so we'll leave it at that. I was wise to choose a hotel with breakfast so I'll go down and get some food in a bit. I went ahead and showered and got coffee already.

Headed back tomorrow.
  #2287   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 07:34

BF:

Nic- I am a old fashion girl- I use a paper boarding pass! Wow you did have time to kill. A lot of time! I like the Lenox Mall. I can't afford a paper bag there but it is fun to go hang out. Took the kids there several Christmases ago- they go all out for decorations.

So a story about that mall. In the front of it is the Lenox Grill- maybe you have been there. It sits in front with patio seating, so people can watch the valet cars coming and going. Well I was there with a friend of mine of afternoon. We were patio seating watching the limo come and go. We commented on it to our waiter who then proceeds to tell us this story.
"One afternoon Elton John and his entourage pull up to the valet. They used multiple limos. So he had 4-5 people on each side. They never parked the Limo's- because he was in and out in less than 10 min. He went up and down the mall and just saw what was in the windows and points- I want 2 of those, points again- 5 of those. his "people would take off and go and get what he wanted. Then he turns around and hops back into his limo- boom gone".

There is also a Tiffany shoe store in the Lenox that hand makes rhinestone shoes using either real or crystal stones. They run about 18-35,000 a pair. So I went into that shop of course. there were 2 security guards at the front doors - dressed in suits (real James Bond style). So I was just browsing. I as to see a pink and white studded pair, for the rock bottom price of 18,000 on sale. They were shown to me by a dud wearing white gloves. I was only allowed to LOOK- not touch. As I was staring I said out loud" WHO BUYS THESE SHOES????- The sales guy, responds- Whitney Huston is our biggest client". Of course. So now whenever I see one of her old videos I am looking at her shoes.

Anyway that is my Lenox Mall stories. I know exactly where Pidmont Hospital is- my new office is around the corner. That trip starts in Oct. That will be 1.5hr- each way in DECENT traffic. I take Spaulding Rd. I avoid the highways at all cost. The back up to jump onto 400/ coupled with 285 is a nightmare. I just can't wait for that commute.

Let us know how things are going! Too bad you take detour over to Duluth for a minute! Or even over to Memphis BBQ off Dunwoody Rd!!!

BLUE- I know I have wished you happy birthday recently. When was it/ when is it. Was it YOUR birthday lunch?????

Oh.... so not done-Be back to pick up where left off- want to hit save as not to lose this far
  #2288   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 13:03

BF:

Hi,

Had a good 4.5 hour drive to Myrtle beach this morning. Got here in time to stop for a few groceries and find our condo before grandson's first game. They won the game 15-1 in 3 innings. Currently playing 2nd and last game for today. I'm going to come to the game tomorrow morning at 9 and then head for the beach. Daughter will bring DH back to our condo after the 1 o'clock game. I'll have a blissful few hours to myself.

I'll send some sunrise pictures tomorrow!
  #2289   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 16:45

BF:

Good Almost evening!

Lori- so glad you got in and settled safely! Yea on the beach!!!!! I didn't realize this was baseball centered! I would let the hubby do his thing- and go your own way!!!! HAAHAHA- just saying..... HAHA
Hope the weather holds for ya!

Blue[/B]- I just love those gal pals we can kick it with for hours and it is just laughs and support. I have had a few of though in my life at times I have needed them.

I am convinced the older I get that relationships are seasonal. I could be wrong. Some RARE few have gal pals that are lifetime- but that is rare. I think that like the train story I have shared. People come into our life for a time that we truly need them. They are they for the time we need them if we are lucky. Then we come across others as well that are later in life that are important too. All relationships have value I think, and each serves a purpose.
But hey not tossing rain on your parade just being, maybe over thinking it. I have just found that in MY life - some angel shows up at just the right time and place, then sometimes they are gone. And that is OK.

So how is the move coming- I feel you are ready to be ask that front door now. That is a GOOD thing! Yea on process!!!!!
Have you worn your scarf lately? I saw a beautiful lady today in a really old restored convertible painted pale pink today. The car had fins- don't ask me, but it had fins and was 60's. Anyway it was redone- and a hot car! She, the lady was young and in PINK- with a light pink scarf wrapped to keep her blond hair from getting messed up. It made me think of you. VERY Gabor!!!!!! Darlin! I bet that lady was loving the stares. It was something to behold.

Trig
- My friend- you had a PICTURE PERFECT day at your pool. Did you use it? How far from Greenville are you? You know we could meet one day half way for a day sometime! I got the perfect BBQ joint there too! They even do the Carolina mustard sauce. I don't do SWEET anything.
Are you a you tube gal?
Wait is your internet up yet?????????? Come to think of it you are having issuesssssssss. Status??????
Hope you get your situation figured out- we need our TRIG!!!!
-------------------------------------------
I am wiped out from all the travel and then spending less than 12 hours at home before back out and spent the night at my mom's. Ended up taking my computer and working on school work there.

Got home this afternoon. I am in pajama's. What I wouldn't give for just one more day- to just myself, but I have to much to do. tomorrow is payroll.

So much going on this week- work and school in full swing! URGHHH...... I need to be mindful to take care of ME!!!! Good food, sleep, walking, and BALANCE.
I am listening to my Pandora- MY music- it's peace for my soul.

So now I am back to my life, I am sorta reflecting on a couple things that were said on vacay by my son. My kids, both of them are DEEPLY hurt I have left the church. I, in their mind also abandon the faith I have raised them in. I know that this is a touchy subject for this forum. But it is tough when kids, and or family all grow up and then go separate ways in that area.
Wish I had the answer for that, except one would think love covers all. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. I just don't buy, what they accept without question. That is all I will say about that.

I am feeling better. Gearing up. My new washer and dryer come next Sat.
I could have better BETTER in my Woe this weekend. Not off the chain- but better portion control. However again it's all about the insulin spike- ALL!!!!!!

Ok ladies, finally got my full post in. HAHAHAH- took all day to do
  #2290   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 16:55

BF:
Progress:
Default ?!? If

Hi all,

Lori---Googled Myrtle Beach, never been there. Quite the place! Looks like you'd have to work hard to run out of things to do. How long are you guys there for? I think I missed that one of your kids lives there? As you are going to grandkid's games. Are you happy with your condo?

Trigger---Hope you're just chillin' and not absent because your internet is still wonky!

Jaz---My birthday is tomorrow. Going to Brother's house for dinner and a swim. Will be just he and SIL and hubby and me. We will be celebrating both our birthdays, his was a week ago.

Haha on the Elton story, guess that's the ultimato on window shopping. But honestly, what fun is that when it comes to shopping?! If I'm in the mood, particularly on a trip, I like to get in their and touch and feel and look for treasure. And pretty much I hate precious stores w/associates who wear gloves and turn their nose up at you.

Wishing you luck tomorrow, back into the fray. Get your "take deep breaths" apparatus tuned in and ready to go.

K-mom---

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy howdy, have I been a lazy cat today. So much I wanted to do, just couldn't seem to make myself move on any of it. Gotta get my mojo back and pumped up!

Reading a book I can't put down. "Social Creature." Think you either like it or hate it. I'm fascinated with it. Although it's very now, it's also somehow sort of gothic, and a creepy, intriguing psychological study. Sometimes reading is just too easy of an escape for me. I think I have to put my books aside till the end of the day for awhile. Too darn much to do.

Had a tuna burger on LC bread for lunch. Crack slaw for dinner, so good day on plan.
  #2291   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 16:56

BF:
Progress:

Oh and Nic---knew I left someone out. Hoping things are going as well as can be expected. When do you come home? I know you said it was just a few days.
  #2292   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 18:10

BF:
Progress:

Hey Jaz---we cross posted, so I must further comment, as I wait for the crack slaw to be done. LOL, I was the one of course who got the recipe and made it at first. Hubby liked it. But now he has decided he can make it better. Who am I to argue? I always cede control in the kitchen. It is his kingdom and he can have it. I'm only ever really interested in what comes out of the kitchen. In return, he doesn't argue w/me about the rest of the house. Fair and square deal as I see it.

Really came back to comment on friendships. I agree with you that many of them are "seasonal" and I really like the choice of that word. I too have had several "seasonal" friendships. Some have passed quietly into the night, others have been a bit more painful to lose. But as I look back on those once "close" friends who are no longer in my life, I realize we had the best of each other, for each other, at the right time. I don't give up on friendships easily, but I am now at peace with those I have lost.

OTOH, I will say that I have been inordinately blessed with many long friendships. A good part of it I think, is that I have not moved around nearly as much as you have. I have really only had two places I've called home. Been here in the Twin Cities since I was 22, grew up in one town till I was 22.

When I was coming of age, thru Jr. High and High school, I was a very tall, gangly gal without much self confidence. My friends then sustained me, made me laugh, made me happy, and taught me a valuable lesson early.

Those gals are STILL with me. 4 of them, and one has died. We are scattered all over now, but we always keep in touch and have done many a get together over the years. E-mail each other and chat on the phone, still. But yeah, it's not like it once was. We are all more different from each other than we used to be. But we never forget that we are each others' witnesses to a time in life, and you can't replace that. They know my family, I know theirs. We know how we grew up, we know how we were.

When I moved up here, I knew NO ONE. Was very lonely. Took me awhile to start building lasting friendships. And the best of those, are with me still. And I've never closed my door to a new friend.

So, yeah, join the Toastmasters. LOL, I know, funny, sharp segue. But I liked what you said about now feeling some stability in your life and being ready to look for friends. I understand what you said about how easy it would be to let your job, school and your family be enough. But we ALL need a few good buddies. We don't need a parade of them, just a few. And the only way to meet them at our age is either thru work, or some outside activity.

PLUS, I think you'd be a wonderful speaker. Takes guts, but I always loved my speech classes. Funny, you walk up to that podium with rubber legs, but once you get started, and if you're prepared, it's a real high.

XO
  #2293   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 18:13

BF:

Happy sitting at the island in our condo typing away on my laptop! We went out for a yummy dinner and now are just chilling out. We will be in bed early as we are setting the alarm to be up for sunrise while sitting on our balcony.

No Blue....none of my kids live here. Our oldest grandson is playing in a baseball tournament down here....hence the trip. Both our kids live in PA. Our daughter lives a little over an hour from us and our son is only about 1/2 hour away. Anyway, our grandson plays on a traveling baseball team and they go all up and down the east coast. They live for baseball!

Happy Birthday tomorrow!!

Jaz...hope work is not too dreadful tomorrow. Chin up and take one thing at a time.

Nic.....hope everything is going ok. Have a safe trip home.

Ok...time to hit the shower and get ready for bed. We are quite tired from all the traveling.

Talk tomorrow.
  #2294   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 20:37

BF:

Some Birdy Knows Blues Birthday Is Tomorrow!!!!!!
  #2295   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 04:10

BF:

arty: Happy Birthday BLUE
Hey Blue- I hope you do something wonderful today! YEA a great year ahead for you! I know it will be! Put on some pretty lipstick and a bright colored blouse even if you aren't going anywhere! Make today special!

Nic- I am really hoping your visit with your mom goes ok. How long are you here? I was wondering if you loved that Lenox story as much as I did! It is TRUE!
Indian food huh? I have never been a fan as I think of RICE right off the rip. I could be wrong. I do however like kabobs but I am to lazy to make them.
Today weather wise will be wonderful though. Some of the humidity is gone!

Lori- I hope you are having a great time. Are you seeing any issue with that storm off the coast? Are you and the hubby going to dinner? Is the whole family there with you?

Trig- OK, Now I am concerned that you are having serious internet issue! I would not be happy about that. Internet issues for me would knock me out of school.
Goodness- get up and going!

Kmom- hope you are doing well
-------------------------------------------------------------
YAWNNNNNNNNNN........ SO NOT READY for the day! I loved my time off! I could get used to being home!

Is it FRIDAY YET????- What a busy day on tap. I have payroll first and foremost. It will be interesting to see how M is? I wonder if she was able to pull those reports. Speaking of- I have reviews to do this week for people. I have a couple I am not looking forward to! Not everyones review was stellar.

So my topic this week for school was/is- still working on it, is on ethical behavior. First one needs to define what ethical even is. It can mean different things for different people. But then we were supposed to give an example of a ethical dilemma in the work place, and how we resolved it.
I love it because I am facing one right now. So as a MIDDLE manager I see both sides of the fence. So what does one do when ya know information that will directly impact the lives of those one works with? I know that the company is going to lay off several positions. But yet I am told to keep it to myself! I am also wondering how deep this will extend into staff. This ladies I work with are sweet and dedicated to their jobs. It is way over my pay grade.
I was told- so I could help in preparations for internal processes. I was also told to stay silent. When I told M I had a problem with it- she told me I had to toughen up. She went on to say that good managers need to follow orders and stop asking questions.

Well you all know I am not the type to do that- I ask, and ask , and ask. I know that my thoughts don't matter to the bean counters. It is business. I get that too. It's not personal. But I consider that a ethical issue!

Speaking of- I need to head out. Food today- hummmmmm Thinking meatballs! I know it will be light
Closed Thread