Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 19:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/124/100 Female 4 feet 11 inches
BF:38%/25%/20%
Progress: 52%

I'm an Atkinser, and don't really know much about TSP~but a little curious.

I just wanted to share a couple things.

My husband decided to join a weight loss challenge this year. He cut out Mtn Dew and Tacos. He's down 25 lbs so far.

I was eating LC LF, so his diet would do NOTHING for me. I always drank Diet and had Chicken soft tacos. My problem was not enough fat. I was always hungry, with awful sugar highs and lows. I've lost 25 lbs. now too, by ADDING FAT and cutting carbs.

My point is this. One thing I remember from my Nutrition class is that "Diet" means the way one eats. Ones 'diet' should be satisfying to them, or feelings of guilt put too much meaning on food.

I had to learn (again) that fat is ok, good, necessary. The addition of fat helps me moderate my intake; I was STARVING on 1500 cals before, and am now full and happy on 8-900. Bacon tastes good--I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.

Deprivation is what kills a diet for me. I feel naughty eating the way I do, it gives me such pleasure, that I don't think about foods I can't eat, I look forward to the ones I can.

My DH had nothing short of an addiction to Mtn Dew. He had such feelings of guilt and powerlessness regarding it. Now, the unthinkable has happened: He loves Diet Coke! I thought I'd never see the day.

I think many of us can relate to how you're feeling. That was me on slimfast, just before Atkins. Tired of not knowing what to eat, or obsessing about it. No more. If I want pizza, cool. I just avoid the crust. No problem.

We all have a different way to find our sweet spot. Find yours. In a book, or your own mind. If it works for you, it works!

I feel you though--5000years ago, we were just happy to eat. Obesity wasn't even an issue. I think the key for me is avoiding White flour and sugar, and hydrogenated oils. That's something I can live with. Happily. I'm just using Atkins as the vehicle to get there. Notice how most maintenance diets look similar. There are some principles that make sense. Cancer and Diabetes weren't rampant until Nabisco, Snackwells, and Frito-Lay took over our tastebuds. I avoid boxes, and stick to the outside aisles in the grocery store. Real food. When I'm hungry. Sounds good to me. Just enjoy! That's the kicker. You have to like your plan. Get excited about it. I remember eating much like you are (at my smallest post 2 kids). I remember saying to my DH: you can have whatever you want to eat, you just don't have to eat it all at the same meal or even the same day! I planned my diet sort of weekly. If I craved something on Mon, I may not get to it till Wed. Sometimes a bowl of cereal is good. Sometimes a steak, or strawberries. What's the rush? There is no reason to feel a sense of loss for food, simply by not choosing it THIS meal, ya know? Just knowing that I'd have it tomorrow was often enough--I'd go light in anticipation. You probably know more about food and your body than any diet book writer around. I think that MOST of what MOST of us are dealing w/ are the psychological crap we associate w/ food, not the food itself. It sounds to me like you're in a GREAT place! Take your body back--start that thread, and keep us posted!

Sorry for the book!