Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-16, 16:14

Plan: Blood Sugar Solution
Stats: 278/215/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Newbie to the forum, but not new to LC

Hi all! I'm super excited I found this site. I tried Atkins years ago (back in the 90s) with some degree of success, but I didn't stay on it. Since then I've been on and off LC several times and even tried the HCG diet about 2 years ago. I lost a lot of weight quickly on the HCG diet, but I didn't keep it off. It's my fault I didn't keep it off because I didn't choose a maintenance plan after getting off the diet. I intended to keep it LC, but I didn't stick to it.

Since then I gained the weight I lost back and and more on top of it. I've had increasing trouble with arthritis in my knees and I have pain, numbness and tingling in my feet. The symptoms in my feet seem to indicate I have diabetes, but I don't. I've been to several doctors and they can't tell me what is causing the pain, tingling and numbness.

The arthritis and symptoms in my feet have made walking very difficult. I've been walking with a limp for a few years now. I've lost muscle strength and had trouble just standing from a seated position. If I walk more than a few steps, I get short of breath and if I climb stairs, my heart starts racing. I really thought I had an autoimmune disease, but testing didn't find anything.

I heard about Dr. Mark Hyman's Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox on the Dr. Oz show some time ago. I downloaded a sample of the book on Kindle but never read it.

I was getting to the point of desperation and knew I needed to do something. At the very least, I needed to lose weight and see if that helped. I received an email in my office that a weight loss challenge would begin in January. I knew this was the perfect time for me to do something.

I started reading Dr. Hyman's book and by the time I finished the free sample, I knew this was something I needed to try. I purchased the book and prepared to enter the challenge at work. In the first week of the detox diet, I lost 10 lbs! On day 4 of the diet I noticed I had more energy and my muscles were feeling stronger. It was easier to stand up and easier to walk. My pain is decreasing and I finally see possible hope for improvement in the symptoms in my feet!

Dr. Hyman's new book, Eat Fat, Get Thin came out this past Tuesday. I purchased it on Kindle and started reading. Jumping ahead to the eating plan and recipes, I see it's very similar to the detox diet. It gives me more recipes and I'm finding the information in the book about eating fat and carbs very interesting.

I really want to stay motivated and reach my healthy weight this time! I know being active in this group will help me reach my goal!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-16, 20:11

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Welcome aboard. Please keep us informed about your new plan. I'm guessing (and hoping) it will be a healing journey in every way.

Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 01:41
Novelist2B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi!

I just joined the forum. Like you, I did HCG a few years ago with initial success but it made me sick--weak, tired, jittery--and I didn't keep it off. Reached my all time high weight a year ago and finally got scared enough to get serious. So far, so good. You've got a good start...keep up the good work. I think we're all onto something really great--low carb!

Wishing you all the best,
Nina
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 05:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Gail

I also started reading Dr Hyman new book yesterday and it is more in line with the LC programs here. Although he calls it "pegan" and it has more veggies, he also suggests protein 100-120g. To get into ketosis, some here restrict protein more than that, but it seems a good plan combining his previous plans and LC. His Recipes are complicated, I followed a much simpler plan, but great to see that he now embraces fats.
Add: Dr Hyman will be the featured Health guru on our PBS station fund drive starting now...check your station guide if he will be on yours.

There are other reasons for peripheral neuropathy http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...es/con-20019948. But also some doctors miss testing insulin levels and instead just focus on BG. They miss the big picture without checking the insulin reaction to carbohydrates.
https://intensivedietarymanagement....-video-lecture/
The fact that you are seeing improvements while eating lower carb would seem indicate it is a diet to do for life. Look around here for more tips
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-28-16 at 05:57.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 07:27
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Welcome Gail
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 14:27
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/203/140 Female 166 cm
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Gail! The challenge at work sounds like such a good idea - does it help with those meeting nibbles and birthday cakes if lots of people are doing the challenge? That's what I find problematic, team meetings with plates of cakes and cheese and biscuits.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 14:47

BF:

Thank you all!

Novelist, I am impressed and motivated by your progress. I REALLY want to make this a permanent WOE this time!

Yes Janet, I agree his recipes are complicated. I only pulled a few from the first book I read (10-Day Detox). I rarely follow a recipe to the letter though. I almost always modify it to fit mine and my family's tastes. I did find his Chicken Soup For The Cause, made without changing the recipe is awesome! If I don't use chicken broth I made myself, I use Emeril's organic chicken stock. It's fantastic!

I don't follow Dr. Hyman's plan to the letter. Organic chicken is not even available in my small town in a rural area. Organic fruits and vegetables are few and far between and the quality is usually lacking (they've been held for sale past their prime). I usually have pasture raised beef in my freezer though, raised on our property. I'm out right now and waiting for the processing plant to get to us on their list. They're unusually busy this year. But I follow his plan and use his recipes as a guideline.

I find his books very educational. I'm finding reasons I may have had so many problems. I'm understanding how my former diet was making me sick. My hope and plan is that this knowledge will keep me motivated to stick with this WOE for life.

I now see that I made mistakes when I followed Atkins or LC in the 90s. I used vegetable oils for cooking. I used artificial sweeteners and drank diet sodas daily. When Atkins products came out, I ate some of the products (though they kind of tasted like cardboard to me). I ate Atkins frozen dinners for a while. All of these are processed foods. I now understand that I need to eat whole foods that I cook myself. I know which oils are healthy and which ones are not.

At the advise of a friend, after the 10 days of detox, I have been having a cheat meal or cheat day once a week. I believe knowing that I can indulge on a planned day in the future helps keep my on track all week. I plan my cheat day or meal by what I have going on at the time. If nothing special is going on, my cheat meal is usually Sunday lunch when I make my family a big meal. I am going to work on some substitutions to make these meals healthier though. This week I will be out at the County Livestock Show on Thursday supporting my niece with showing rabbits and a cake. They don't have anything healthy out there, so my lunch that day will be my cheat meal this week.

I stumbled on a Carb Nite Solutions thread here. As I understand, this plan calls for a person to stay in ketosis except for the "carb night". I've debated whether to try this or not, but decided to keep doing what I'm doing for now. If I hit a plateau, then I can try going that route. In researching this plan, I find that some people do their own version of having a meal or day where they cheat each week. That gives me confidence that what I'm doing may be okay for me in the long run. Only time will tell!

Thank you Janet for the neuropathy info and links. I will definitely check that out! Every time I've searched on the internet for causes of pain and neuropathy in the feet, I'm led to information about diabetes. I will review the extensive blood work I've had done the past couple of years and see if there is anything I need to request specifically. I have a Dr. appointment at the end of March and my doctor will check my thyroid for sure. I can request anything else I may find helpful and I'm sure she will agree.

All in all, I find information and knowledge helpful. Also helpful is to be in communication with a community that is following a plan similar to what I'm following.

I hope to be active here for a LONG time. Wishing everyone a blessed Sunday!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 15:14

You missed a good part by skipping to the end "Getting the Right Tests" p. 113.
"...insulin, which is the first thing to go up. By the time your blood sugar goes up, the train has left the station"
He has a download at http://www.eatfatgetthin.com
"How to Work with your Doctor to get what you need"
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 16:29

BF:

Thanks Janet. I haven't finished reading Eat Fat, Get Thin. While reading the 10-Day Detox book I actually downloaded his "How To Work With Your Doctor To Get What You Need". I guess I dismissed the information too quickly because I'm seeing a Rheumatologist who is listed as a Functional Medicine Doctor. Many tests have been done on me. As I read the list of the other things that cause Peripheral Neuropathy, nothing on the list seems likely. The only thing I've been thinking lately is that though my Rheumatologist dismissed autoimmune diseases saying I tested negative for everything, I now think I may have been on the verge or in the beginnings of some autoimmune disease. After seeing how quickly I gained strength in my leg muscles (4 days) after changing my diet, and reading Dr. Hyman's book and how he believes poor diets may be a cause or at least a contributing factor in autoimmune disease, I suspect something like that was going on in me. I don't think I clearly expressed to anyone how truly awful and how weak I felt. I tried to cover up the pain, fatigue and weakness and put a smile on my face. Everyone could see I was in pain because I walked with a limp, but I don't think they realized the extent of the issues I was dealing with. I guess I didn't want them to know. I know what people think and what they say "behind your back". "If she would just lose weight, she would have less pain and feel better".

I don't mean to be a "downer". I'm so glad to have found this group and I look forward to learning and growing (growing smaller that is) with all of you!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 17:47

Gail, you're not a downer, trying to figure out why you are in pain must be difficult and exhausting. You are making great progress with Dr Hyman's plan, so you may not like this suggestion. The organic veggies and pastured eggs are nice, but not as important as eliminating all processed foods, the seed oils like soybean and all grains and sugar. Suggest that you don't dabble with cheat meals until you have given yourself a few months with no grains at all.
Many of us here have found unexpected health improvements after being completely grain-free, following the advice of Dr William Davis of Wheat Belly fame. Here is one success story about peripheral neuropathy improving in 8 weeks. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...t-belly-update/ There are many other posts about it ...just put neuropathy in his search bar. The connection to autoimmune diseases is that grains trigger "leaky gut" that then allow the immune reaction...remove the grains, the gut starts to heal,and symptoms lessen.
And your doctor's regular testing for gluten sensitivity rarely finds this, the only way to "test" if grains are a problem for you is to eliminate them for a few months. Wheat is in so many food additives used in processing, which is why no "cheating", especially eating out at a show, would be helpful for you to try to relieve the pain.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 19:18

BF:

You're right, I don't like the suggestion, but I DO appreciate the info! I don't think I'm going to change my plans for this week. I know they will have hamburgers out at the show. If the burger wouldn't be toooo messy eating without a bun (I don't know if plates and forks will be available), I may try eating it without the bun. That will at least eliminate the bun. When I'm on plan, I have absolutely NO grains. I WILL try staying away from all grains for at least 2 months straight. Just not sure I'm starting this week. I have read a lot about gluten sensitivity and leaky gut. Considering my history, I would be very surprised if I DIDN'T have leaky gut! I realize leaky gut could be my problem, as could an imbalance of omega 6 and omega 3. It very well could be both.

I DO appreciate your advice and information. I look forward to exploring more on this board!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-29-16, 06:00

That's OK...you have lots of time to figure it out, like the rest of of your life.
There is so much information on this forum about different LC plans and success stories that you may find something that will trigger a new solution. Dr. Davis's second book, Wheat Belly Total Health, gets into the whys and how that grain elimination can help neuropathy if you want more later.

The burger without a bun is a classic LC solution you can get just about anywhere. Mooyah Burger wraps it in lettuce and calls it an Iceburger. The other alternative is to take travel foods like string cheese, nuts, etc. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lo...wcarbtravel.htm
but whatever you decide, have fun with your niece and hope she wins a ribbon!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-29-16, 06:06
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hello and Welcome Gail!

Just wanted to pop in to wish you much success on your journey to a Healthier you!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 09:48

And another thought just received monthly email from the DirectLab I use. Feb is a good time to test Vit D and Magnesium. Your rheumatologist may do that already, and aim for the higher D levels, but another deficiency that Mayo didn't list in their article.

Quote:
Vitamin D has long been known as the Sunshine Vitamin, which helps keep our bones strong. Over the past few years, we have learned that it plays a much a wider role in our overall health. Recent studies show that vitamin D deficiency is linked to an increased risk of numerous chronic disorders, including diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular, autoimmune and neurological diseases. Globally, it is estimated that around 1 billion people lack the proper Vitamin D levels and 64 percent of Americans do not have adequate amounts for our bodies to function properly. Supplementation is often needed in addition to proper diet and sun exposure to achieve the optimal levels.

Another mineral - Magnesium, is required to convert Vitamin D into it's active form in the bloodstream. Subsequently, taking Vitamin D supplements may actually cause or worsen magnesium deficiency. It is stated that Magnesium is by far the most important mineral in the body and yet millions suffer daily from magnesium deficiency without even knowing it. The first signs of magnesium deficiency include: leg cramps, foot pain, muscle twitches, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue and weakness.

As deficiency continues and/or worsens symptoms include but not limited to: numbness, tingling, seizures, personality changes, abnormal heart rhythms and coronary spasms. It is important to know and monitor your levels for optimum health before it leads to more serious conditions.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 12:20

BF:

Yes, my Rheumatologist checks my Vit D and looks for an extra high level. She also put me on a good quality Magnesium supplement and daily vitamin. She also checks my B12. I've been on B12 supplement for a while now. Thanks for the info Janet!