Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 21:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

I am a world champion emotional and bored eater...or should I say was...

And back to my last post, I said that if you consume fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight. I stand by that. I did not say I counted calories myself. And there are as many or more bad ways to limit calories than there are good/LC ways.

And a lot of folks here have reported that if their fat intake went up, they lost weight. Just as many here have reported and I have experienced it is possible to still eat too much food, no matter how properly LC it is and stall out.

Lot's of well thought out posts between my last and this one too!

BTW, every single person I know who has said "Atkins does not work for me" Has not done it properly! That goes for any LC plan. They all did not start with a Doctor visit, blood work or reading the book. One person close to me, at a festive gathering ate fried chicken, only a little mashed potatoes and Gravy and had several mixed drinks with regular soda...yet wondered out loud why she had not lost weight in 2 weeks...

Far too many people eat like this and blame Atkins...
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 21:59

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
Yes! Not just meat and veg tho, nuts, eggs, fish, seafood, cheese, butter....

All natural and filling!!

Jo xxx

There ya go! Though there is a "Meat and Egg Fast" group on these boards somewhere...I did that to break a stall a few times and slowly added veggies and then went back into the correct phase of the plan. I get real bored, real fast eating the same stuff over and over so I always look for ways and basic recipes to keep low carbing "fresh".

You should see the looks and hear the comments and questions I get when I eat some roasted, unsalted nuts and some Raw goats milk cheddar cheese and some salami nuggets and call it lunch!
  #108   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-13, 07:37

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
I am a world champion emotional and bored eater...or should I say was...

And back to my last post, I said that if you consume fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight. I stand by that. I did not say I counted calories myself. And there are as many or more bad ways to limit calories than there are good/LC ways.

And a lot of folks here have reported that if their fat intake went up, they lost weight. Just as many here have reported and I have experienced it is possible to still eat too much food, no matter how properly LC it is and stall out.

Lot's of well thought out posts between my last and this one too!

BTW, every single person I know who has said "Atkins does not work for me" Has not done it properly! That goes for any LC plan. They all did not start with a Doctor visit, blood work or reading the book. One person close to me, at a festive gathering ate fried chicken, only a little mashed potatoes and Gravy and had several mixed drinks with regular soda...yet wondered out loud why she had not lost weight in 2 weeks...

Far too many people eat like this and blame Atkins...

I largely agree with your post, because I have seen so very many people on this forum who are kidding themselves on about what they are eating, then after cleaning up their act for about two days, coming on and insisting that they have been eating clean for two months... However, I do think there is the odd exceptional person who cannot lose weight on Atkins - possibly due to hormonal, medical or metabolic issues.

I do want to pick up one point you made though:

Quote:
I said that if you consume fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight.

Now .. this may well be true.. but it is kinda misleading, because people who consume fewer calories will burn less of them over time. Their energy will nose-dive, and their body will start to cling to every last calorie it can get hold of, and in some cases that includes water. That might involve losing weight in the short-term, but they keep having to cut calories further in order to continue to lose, which is unsustainable. More to the point, however, I don't think that it is as simple as you think. Recently, my weight had gone up marginally, in spite of very low calories, and being quite active (for me), so I increased my calories by quite a large amount (I know I lose better on higher calories).. In spite of my energy being low, I have lost those few pounds again, to bring my weight back to 168. I don't really understand this whole issue of eating / burning calories, but my own experience has proven to me that it is not as simple as we are led to believe. I think in my case, my blood sugar is quite wonky, and if the calories are too low, I might get a surge of insulin, which is packing everything I eat into the fat cells. Being unwell, my body doesn't always work properly, so rather than using the glycogen stores, it simply shuts down my energy output and waits for the next meal. Over time, this leads to weight-gain.. in spite of very low calories. I have observed this happening with the low-carb diet, but it was far, far worse before I started Atkins.. I could honestly gain about 8lbs in the course of several days of eating about 80 calories (yes - 80 and not 800). I don't understand it, but it happened, several times, and it didn't come back off until I discovered Atkins. I suspect that inflammation was responsible for those gains, and I was very impressed by Hutchison's post early in this thread, which dealt with that issue.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Thu, Mar-28-13 at 08:37.
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 08:00

Plan: Keto (Phinney)
Stats: 248/227/195 Male 71 in
BF:24/19/14
Progress: 40%

I believe there's at least one more reason people do not succeed on low carb diets. They forget the simple formula that calories in has to be less than calories expended.
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 08:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-PHX
I believe there's at least one more reason people do not succeed on low carb diets. They forget the simple formula that calories in has to be less than calories expended.

I lost by eating around 4000 cals a day no problem

Jo xxx
  #111   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 08:43

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:

I think that all depends on who you are and what you're trying to do. The formula is always true, that doesn't mean it's always useful.

Pretty much forgetting about calories leaves me twenty pounds lighter than my maximum weight on carbs--and the trend before low carb was up during all my adult life, so you can probably add another ten or twenty pounds to what my weight would be. That weight loss was easy--and early on, if I'd restricted calories excessively, perhaps I would have lost weight faster, but losing weight might have been so unpleasant that I'd end up of the diet and never known about how easy being twenty pounds lighter is for me. Just eat low carb.

If ojoj could lose weight at 4000 calories a day--what if she'd eaten less? Maybe the experience would have been so unpleasant that she wouldn't be the weight loss success we see here today.

If I want to get leaner, I haven't found a good alternative to restricting my calories within a low carb diet. But so far, getting my body fat under fifteen percent hasn't proven any more sustainable than keeping body fat under six or seven percent is for most bodybuilders. I'm just silly enough to keep trying.

Past a certain point, it's hard to tell the difference between calorie restriction and self-abuse. And that threshold can come at eight percent body fat, or it can come at twenty-five percent or even higher.
  #112   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 09:03

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Ah yes, if only we could measure the way our bodies burn calories. Pretty useless to count calories going in without any way to count calories expended.

People vary in their burn rate.

Google "Problems in the Furnace" ATP

Problems in the Furnace

Quote:
"In the new study examining how insulin interacts with the energy-producing mitochondria inside living cells, Shulman and his colleagues found that the rate of insulin-stimulated energy production by mitochondria is significantly reduced in the muscles of lean, healthy young adults who have already developed insulin resistance and who are at increased risk of developing diabetes later in life.

This is further evidence that people who are prone to develop diabetes have signs of mitochondrial dysfunction," Shulman said in an interview. This is important because mitochondria are the "energy factories" inside cells and produce most of the chemical power needed to sustain life.

The new research, which is published in the September 2005 issue of the open-access journal PLoS Medicine, indicates that a decreased ability to burn sugars and fats efficiently is an early and central part of the diabetes problem. Their new data also suggest the basic defect lies within the mitochondria, which exist in almost every cell.
  #113   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-13, 13:54

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
I lost by eating around 4000 cals a day no problem

Jo xxx

Just curious...what were you eating that added up to 4000 calories a day? I have such depressed appetite I have real trouble getting even as high as 1500. Usually I'm stuck around 1000 if I eat purely to hunger. Perhaps this is a problem...that I actually need more calories. I'm exploring this right now, but I'd love to know the kinds of eating you do daily because you've been very successful on what you are doing!
  #114   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-13, 14:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
Just curious...what were you eating that added up to 4000 calories a day? I have such depressed appetite I have real trouble getting even as high as 1500. Usually I'm stuck around 1000 if I eat purely to hunger. Perhaps this is a problem...that I actually need more calories. I'm exploring this right now, but I'd love to know the kinds of eating you do daily because you've been very successful on what you are doing!
I eat huge amounts of fat, nuts, cheese........ I rarely bother with measuring. A long time ago a friend did a check on what I'd eaten and came up with over 4000 calories and on the odd occasion when I look what I've eaten, I kinda mentally work it out and its as much as 4000. That isnt everyday, but its definitely the fat that brings it up significantly - I do at least two packs of butter a week, one pot of coconut oil and when I'm working I have a 128g pack of Camembert cheese with a big bag of pork scratchings/rinds for my lunch/supper (depending on when I'm there). However, I dont eat breakfast!

Jo xxx