Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 17:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 288/240/145
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Hello

Hi everyone, my name is Tammy. I am 44 years old.
I started the Atkins program in January, my first ever new year's resolution.
I had been having trouble with swelling in my ankles and went to see a doctor.
He had no bedside manner what so ever. He sat there told me that I was grotesquely and obscenely obese. And there was nothing he could do for me. At that time my weight was 235.
The depression I fell into soon afterwards aided me in gaining another 50 pounds wich I maintained, give or take 5-10 pounds, for the last couple of years. I have never really tried to diet before, just the idea of portion control gives me hunger pangs. I started to loose weight immediately on the Atkins diet, I went into moderate ketosis on the second day and maintained moderate to and I am never hungry. I started out at 288 and curently my weight is 240. I have lost a total of 48 pounds in 2 months.
The weight loss has stopped and I seem to have hit a platue. I am very careful of my zero sugar and low carb intake, keeping the carbs to under 2o, yet I seem to be having trouble getting back into ketosis.
Is this normal? How can I get the weight loss started again?

Tammy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 19:16

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Hi Tammy

welcome here! I am so sorry about that doctors rudeness. I had that happen to me a few months after the birth of my daughter. He said "well guess U need to start working on getting back into shape" I told him I was so tired an sore.He said it was because I was over weight. I knew he was wrong. I knew I was over weight because I was tired and sore. I was right.....I went to another doc and eventually was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Low-carbing has put me in remission and I feel great. NOW.... about your weight loss. WOW 48 pounds in 2 months is a tremendous amount. 1st congrats but 2nd..dont panic. Your body just needs awhile to catch up. Also U may be losing inches not weight? Have U taken your measurements. Are U drinking enough water? Huggs to U. Im sure U will find this an excellent place for support.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 22:19

BF:
Talking thanks gwilson38

I really appreciate your reply. I was beginning to wonder if I would get one. It would appear that I am not alone in with the dreaded platue problem. It seems pretty common. In response to your inquiry about loosing inches, as a matter of fact I do believe I am losing inches.
Have I taken my measurements? No, but my cloths are fitting a little better.
Do I drink enough water? Yes, I'm pretty sure I do, I like water and do drink plenty of it.
So I guess I'll just hang in there, hopefully the pounds will start to drop again soon.

Thanks
Tammy
Attached Images
File Type: gif heyt.gif (1.7 KB, 59 views)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 00:50

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome aboard!

After losing 48 pounds in only two months, I would imagine that your body most definitely needs to say, "Whoa!" and adjusts lots of its function to match the new weight. Look through the other journals and you will see that plateaus are very common and that they can last from a few days to several weeks. The one thing that they have in common is that if you just Keep the Faith they will always come to an end and you will start moving down again - frequently with a good initial surge that you make up, at least in part, for the time you were stalled.

So just keep on doing what you are doing cause you are doing great!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 14:38

BF:
Cool

Thanks for the encouragement, I am at a point in my life that every little bit helps. I was wondering if you have ever heard of a product called "Dr's Diet Carb Block" I haven't been able to find much information about it here.
Here's a link to a page with some information about the product, http://www10.netrition.com/universa...block_page.html the question is, does it work and has anyone out there tried it?.

So many forums so little time...

Tammy
Attached Images
File Type: gif pig_group_fly_md_wht.gif (15.8 KB, 47 views)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 14:51
Registered Member

Stats: 145/116/115
BF:
Progress: 97%
Smile WELCOME

Welcome Tammy ,

You're doing great! I agree your body is just adjusting right now. Don't give up hope. Together we can all work through any 'plateaus'. I went thru over a month after my first 20 lbs. I thought I'd never start losing again. But during that time I did notice a difference in my clothes get looser.
This is a terrific site with lots of helpful ideas. Take care!!

Angelfish
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 21:16

BF:

wbahn,
I have been having a bit of trouble getting my own avitar to appear. Any pointers?

Tammy
Attached Images
File Type: gif tammythack1.gif (4.2 KB, 37 views)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 19:48

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hey Tammy

I wanted to comment on your question about carb-blockers. I wouldnt waste your money on them, I doubt they work well. Also because you wont be eating as amny carbs...the ones U do eat are important for your body. I know U may be thinking," But maybe I will just use them if I go off track for a day or so" Im wondering tho if they might not screw up your metabolism. Low-carbing will help to straighten out a sluggish metabolism. Anyway just want to express my opinion.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 20:34

BF:

No no no, I didn't want to use them for cheating. I have hit a platue and it seems that no matter what I do I cannot get back into ketosis, I have reduced the number of carbs I am taking to between 15 and just under 20. I am watching the sugar like a hawk, I never knew cottage cheese had sugar in it!
I can 't figure it out. I know my body needs time to catch-up so to speak, but the inability to get back into ketosis has be baffeled. I was hoping that a carb blocker would help boost me back ontrack.
Like any good alcoholic, I want instant gratification.
Perhaps I should try a little excercise. I have a nasty case of arthrutus in my left shoulder that has had me being pretty still lately. It's terribly painful, just had a cortizone shot, and that seems to be helping with the pain. I can at least walk pain free now.

Tammy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 21:03

BF:

I wouldn't waste money on "carb blockers" or any similar products. Just continue being diligent and patient. The situation will correct itself and ten years from now you won't even remember for sure whether the plateau was three weeks or three months.

As for the avatar question - go to your profile page and go to the Edit Options page. The information is at the bottom. More information can be found by clicking the buttom near the bottom left. If that doesn't help, let me know. There's also a thread somewhere that addresses these questions but I don't recall where it is right now. If you do a search for "avatar" you should find several useful ones right away.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 21:08

BF:

I've tried to upload my pic several times... I'm just stumped as to what the problem could be
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 21:34

BF:

I don't know what to tell you. Is the image that you want to use for your avatar the one that is included in the post earlier in the thread? If so, then I don't know what the problem is - I captured it and saved it to disk and then used it as my own avatar and verified that it took - that all worked fine. There's no minimum number of posts you have to have to upload a custom avatar.

There are a couple of ways to go. You can get in touch with Wa'il and see what he has to say. You can send the GIF file to him via e-mail and he can put it up for you. You could change your password to something temporary and then give me the password (PM it to me) and I could upload the avatar using the one I have already captured and then you can change your password back. It should be pretty easy to work around the problem, but it would still leave the question of what the problem is.

Let me know how you want to proceed.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 21:37

BF:

I just saw that you only have 8 posts. I think you have to have 25 or 30 in order to PM (private message) people. You would need to use normal e-mail.

Go to the last forums in the list and you will see a couple that are devoted to the forum itself. Post your querry there.

Good luck.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 23:07

BF:

I think you're right about needing more than 8 posts before you can use PM, I haven't been able to contact you that way.
I guess I'll just have to post and post and post (in my spare time) till I get enough. Though I don't have much spare time lately. I do a little web design from home, I work part time at a book store and I'm going to school, while I do my best to raise my 2 kids, a 12 year old girl and an 11 year old boy.I've got my hands full

Tammy
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 23:12

BF:
Default PS

I see by your profile that you don't use AIM ICQ or any other instant message service, or do you?