Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 19:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%
Default swimming question...well kind of

Does anyone here know or have a theory of why:

If I run on land I get tired within minutes. If I run in my pool I can do it pretty constant for an hour or more. It doesn't make much since to me since running in the water burns more calories than running on land. What is the science behind why running in the water would make me less tired?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 20:50

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%

I would think that even though you're pushing through the water to run, and that's tough, the water is still supporting your body weight making you lighter.

That's what I'm thinkin'.

Julia
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 20:53
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

The water is also cooling to the body, so the body isn't having to work to cool itself as well as run.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 21:05

Sounds good to me. :-) Thanks
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 06:20

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default +1 on cooling

The NFL is using "cooling" gloves for some of their athletes. Turns out, core temperature is even more of a determinant of ability-to-exercise than being able to bring "food" to cells.

Forgot to look at your mass on the way into this post, but if you're at all large and/or insulated, you're getting MUCH better cooling in the water.

have you read Swimming to Antarctica, or Grayson, by Lynne Cox? She doesn't directly address your situation, but they're interesting takes on cold water swimming.

Only problem is, if you're regularly exposed to cold water, your body WILL lay down a layer of protective subc. fat as protection.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
The NFL is using "cooling" gloves for some of their athletes. Turns out, core temperature is even more of a determinant of ability-to-exercise than being able to bring "food" to cells.

Forgot to look at your mass on the way into this post, but if you're at all large and/or insulated, you're getting MUCH better cooling in the water.

have you read Swimming to Antarctica, or Grayson, by Lynne Cox? She doesn't directly address your situation, but they're interesting takes on cold water swimming.

Only problem is, if you're regularly exposed to cold water, your body WILL lay down a layer of protective subc. fat as protection.

Cool Information. Well, my water isn't too cool. It's nearly 89 degrees in the pool because it is hot out. I'm a little insulated but not large.

I am cooler in the water than running in 90 degree heat. :-)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 06:30

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Water conducts heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberview
I am cooler in the water than running in 90 degree heat. :-)

89-degree water will cool MUCH more effectively than 90-degree air. It's why you'll die pretty quickly in 55-degree water but probably not in 55 degree air.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 05:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/145/140 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

It's a good idea to run in a pool. I'll try it! thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 10:16

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I have been doing deep water running with an Aquajogger (floats and keeps you upright for good form). I also use weights. I love it, but I never feel like I am doing enough of a workouts because it is so easy to just target the burn to certain muscles and get the heart rate up.

I would love to talk to other folks doing this for tips and suggestion to make it more challenging as I get fitter.

Janine
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 16:10
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Default using the pool for exercise

I used to go to the Y pool (warm as bathwater) and get in one of the lanes and swim the entire time the pool was available for 'laps'. I swam for 3 hours. Since I'm a crappy swimmer, I would use a little pink square floatie thing and hold onto it and kick my way down the pool and back. Then I'd sit on it and use my arms to stroke (like a breast stroke) across the pool and back. After 3 hours of doing that, non-stop, I was wiped! That's the only exercise I've ever done in the pool that made me feel like I was 'working'!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 09:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmaniac
I used to go to the Y pool (warm as bathwater) and get in one of the lanes and swim the entire time the pool was available for 'laps'. I swam for 3 hours. Since I'm a crappy swimmer, I would use a little pink square floatie thing and hold onto it and kick my way down the pool and back. Then I'd sit on it and use my arms to stroke (like a breast stroke) across the pool and back. After 3 hours of doing that, non-stop, I was wiped! That's the only exercise I've ever done in the pool that made me feel like I was 'working'!

I started using much heavier weights and really working at making it more challenging. 10 pounds weights in my arms really makes me sweat - even in the pool. I just don't have three hours in the day for this.

Janine
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 19:16

I think too much time in the pool will burn too many calories. My goal is to strength train. I'd much rather keep my cals normal and not burn them. I'd much rather burn fat.

I generally do pull ups on the side of the pool backwards and forwards. Chest, arm, and leg excercises for 1 hour with my aqua fitness set. I can see definition starting to happen in my arms and stomach areas.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 08:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberview
I think too much time in the pool will burn too many calories. My goal is to strength train. I'd much rather keep my cals normal and not burn them. I'd much rather burn fat.

I generally do pull ups on the side of the pool backwards and forwards. Chest, arm, and leg excercises for 1 hour with my aqua fitness set. I can see definition starting to happen in my arms and stomach areas.

What kind of aqua fitness set do you have. I am looking for inspiration. Now that I am fitter but my toe isn't yet healed I am looking for some more challenging exercises (although doggie paddling with the ten pounds weights has me pretty sore, especially the abs).

Janine
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 04:06

Stats: 360/360/80 Female 5 ft 3
BF:
Progress: 0%

I aim to do aqua fit seven days a week (I don't always reach that target).

I jog underwater, I kick, I run, I flex, I hold two white polystyrene barbells and pump them up and down, side to side, behind my back, every which way I can invent of using them. I have made up exercises that specifically target my stomach muscles, which are now really strong.

I attend when the aquafit class is on, because they play loud, hard-beat music which really makes me pump. I pump and run till I am breathless, and have found it is getting harder and harder to get myself out of breath.

I do a minimum of one hour, usually about 90 minutes, sometimes 2 hours, and last week I even did three hours, joining an organised class between the second and third hours.

Now, get this: I weigh 330 pounds and if I walked outside my house right now I could not walk for more than about 100 yards without getting tired and probably having to stop. I waddle and roll because my massive thighs bounce against each other.

I cannot do any other form of exercise because I get so hot I nearly faint, plus my knees and ankles hurt.

In the pool I am so light, and the water keeps me cool. I am never tired when I finish, and I always finish by walking a mile home. And yet others times I cannot walk that mile.

Swimming has been my lifesaver.

Helena
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 04:50
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile swimming

You're doing a fantastic job! The music really helps get you going too - it's so much more fun to move to music!