Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 09:39
One day at a timer

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 328.5/280.5/180 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question Need to get serious....

about working out, but I feel like I am running around and doing different things and not very structured. I want to lose fat but I really want to build up my muscles. I had written in my journal about not know how hard to push myself or what to do and someone mentioned coming to this forum for help. Here is what I have to workout on in my garage:

~Treadmill (I actually won this at work )
~Row Machine (you can lock the seat and do other stuff)
~Ball (You know the big ones)
~Little hand weights (2.5, 5 lbs)
~We will be getting a weight machine in the next few months.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 14:31

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

My garage is a workout space, too.
that's great, you're set up pretty well. It's so wonderful and convenient to be able to workout at home. Here's what I would do:

CARDIO-
-treadmill- 3 days a week (or more, but minimum 3. max 6) 20 minutes HIIT (high intensity interval training. Do a search and you will learn a lot about it.)
-row machine- you can do the cardio with this too, to vary your routine. I've never used one, so I can't tell you what to do.

STRENGTH training-(4 days a week, with a day of rest in between workouts. If the workout was not very strenuous, you can do another the next day.) I usually do 3-5 exercises to get a good workout (I've been lifting for a while and just do olympic and powerlifting exercises, at very heavy weights, though) You could certainly do more. I'm sure other people will give you more ideas. But even as a beginner, you can start out with this basic routine plan. How it evolves depends upon what you learn (read up!) and what works for you.
I would say the less strenuous the exercises, the more you should do.
Your set and rep routine can and should vary.
For example, 3 exercises, 5 sets, 10 reps each.
You can do 1 exercise at a time, then move on to the next one, or you can rotate them.
If you are going to rotate them, this is how you do it: 1st exercise, 10 reps, rest a minute (optional); 2nd exercise, 10 reps (rest), 3rd exercise, 10 reps (rest), then repeat until you have done it 5 times.

Here's what I think should be included in any well rounded routine:
-swiss ball- crunches! there are so many different ways to use a swiss ball to make your body stronger. Do a search and look online at some exercises. I usually add basic ab work like crunches on as an extra at the end of my workout (doesn't count as one of my 3 or 4 exercises). You can do it however you like.

-POWERLIFTING(!!!)
There are 3 basic powerlifting exercises:
*squat
*deadlift
*bench press (which i don't do.)
I would HIGHLY recommend including squats and deadlifts in your routine. They are (hardly arguably) the best moves for overall core strength, which is the basis of all strength training. If you could choose only 1, do the squats. They will give you great legs and derriere. You can start out on bodyweight, but can work up to using weight very quickly. Your little hand weights won't cut it, though.
Please do a search on proper squat form with pictures. Ass to the ground is best in terms of how low you should work up to getting.

The deadlift consists of picking a bar (or weights at your side) off the ground, then putting it back. Do a search.

other good exercises:
-rows (for your arms and back)
-presses
-lunges

Depending on the logistics of your weight machine, there are tons of different exercises.
The above all works great for me. If you stick to the workout/set/rep scheme i outlined above, for at least 4 days a week (plus 3 cardio days), you will do great.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 14:41

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

By the way, very important things to consider when strength training include:
-FORM!!! You must have good form. MUST. Keep your back strong at all times, for all exercises.
The way you keep your back strong is by keeping your abs pulled in tight, and NEVER bending at your lower back. Keep an arch.
The individual stance for each exercise will vary (of course), but a strong back is the foundation. Don't lift more weight than your back can handle without breaking your form.
-amount of weight vs. reps. I've already written a ton about this in this forum, do a search.
-changing up your routine MUST be done or you will not make gains. This is because our bodies adapt very well, and very quickly to physical stress. Change it every 3-5 weeks. It doesn't have to be a huge change, just enough to keep your body challenged. For example, less reps, more weight of the same exercise; different exercise form (front squats instead of back squats), etc. etc. The options are great, and like I said, it depends on personal taste.

As for not knowing how hard to push yourself...Do as much as you can. As a beginner you will make gains quickly and be able to handle more weight every couple of weeks. If you don't keep adding that weight you will be doing your muscles and bones a disservice.
Don't let extra non-muscle weight on your body deter you, ever. I have a friend who's a very big girl (needs to lose the weight for health) and I'm training her. It's hard, and she's not loving it, but she's doing 60 pound squats.

Last edited by lilli : Sat, Jan-29-05 at 14:52.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 10:46
One day at a timer

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 328.5/280.5/180 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thank you so much! I will start on the above and do the find those threads to read up.