Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 19:35

Plan: Akins
Stats: 197/188/154
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default My Workout Rutine (please critique)

HI there im a Low Carber currently on a WeightLifting routine. People here seem to know a hell of a lot more than i do about this so i was wondering if anyone could offer me advice for improvment. I am currently achieving good success, but theres always room for improvement. I am also not to good at the names of the exercises, so i hope you know what i mean.

here is my schedule

Day(1)
Chest
Decline Bench Press 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
Incline Dumbell Press 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
"Normal?" Bench Press 1 x 15, 45s rest, 4x10 1 min rest
Cable Flys 3x10 1 min rest
Biceps
Preacher Curls 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
Easy-Bar Curls 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
Dumbel Curls 3x8 1 min rest

Day (2)
Back
Cable Pull Downs 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
Reverse Pull Downs 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
"Hammer Machine?" 4x8 1 min rest
Triceps
Rope 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
Dips 4 x 12, last 1 till cant do any more
Overhead rope pull 3 x 10, 1 min rest

Day(3)
Shoulders
Side Dumbell Raises 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
Front Dumbell Raises 3x10 1 min rest
Shoulder Press 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
Shrugs 4x10 1 min rest
Legs
Leg Press 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
Hamstring Curl 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
Leg extensions 1 x 15, 45s rest, 3x10 1 min rest
Another 1 where u stand on your tip toes. you know the 1
I jumble up the order every time i go, alternating between body part Eg) chest, bicep, chest, bicep etc

I go 4 or 5 times a week, i find on a low carb, high protien diet i can only really train at high intensity for 40 mins, however the results are usually very good.
Anyone see any improvements?
Im burning Fat on the diet and im loking to build muscle
Thanks Dave

Last edited by Alucard : Tue, Jan-14-03 at 19:58.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 19:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hiyah, Dave. Routine looks challenging How about some info on the order you do your exercises in along with the reps and sets (and time inbetween).

Have you had a chance to look through the two stickes at the top of this forum called "Advice for the beginner: getting started" and "The best weight training exercises"? Both are full of great info.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 20:02

Plan: Akins
Stats: 197/188/154
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Thanks 4 the quick reply Nat!

Put some new info on there as you suggested, going to look at the posts you suggested to. Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 20:10

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: My Workout Rutine (please critique)

The order of exercises for the recreational lifter in resistance training programs consists of training large muscle groups prior to exercising smaller muscle groups. Within each muscle group, exercises should be performed depending upon the number of joints utilized. The exercise using the greatest number of joints should be placed first followed by exercises decreasing in the number of joints. However, if you are a more advanced lifter, you might perform a pre-exhaustion routine. In this routine, you will exhaust the secondary muscle by performing a single joint exercise, and then exercise the larger muscle immediately. An example would be pre-exhausting the triceps before performing a chest routine or pre-exhausting the biceps before performing a back routine.
Your routine looks pretty good. There are a few adjustments I would make to this routine.
Work Back & Bi's on the same day and Chest & Tri on the same day. The reasoning behind that is Bis are an assisting muscle group for the back workout and the tris assist the chest. I would also suggest doing all chest then tri and all back then bi. Your efforts will be maximized. You can of course do super-sets occasionally.

Next, I would say to give yourself a little longer rest between sets on leg day. Additionally, you may want to consider finding an occasional replacement for the leg extension; it’s hard on the knees. A squat would be a better overall option as it utilizes more muscles (including the glutes).

Lastly, I don't see a rear delt exercise noted. You could add that on a back or shoulder day. What about the abs????? You can add them in anywhere 3X/week.

Oh, and one more thing; plan on changing your routine every 4-6-8 weeks.

Last edited by ZoneCoach : Thu, Jan-16-03 at 20:12.