Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#511   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 13:11

Plan: Atkins 72 induction
Stats: 225/125/125 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello warriors,

How is everyone doing today?

Welcome to our new posters Glenda, Gail and Jand!

I have been shoveling since 4:30 this morning another 4 inches of snow today! However, this should be it until Friday! I am a praying 🙏!

Jane, Good luck on starting HC -A72 tomorrow! I have never stopped A-72 it is my way of life! So I eat this way no matter what! I think you have a very positive attitude and along with hubby you have every opportunity for success!

I see a nap coming Have a spectacular Sunday warriors and take care of yourself today!
Sponsored Links
  #512   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diabetes Revolutio
Stats: 205/173/150 Female 12
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
Hello warriors,

Welcome to our new posters Glenda, Gail and Jand!

I have been shoveling since 4:30 this morning another 4 inches of snow today! However, this should be it until Friday! I am a praying 🙏!

Jane, Good luck on starting HC -A72 tomorrow! I have never stopped A-72 it is my way of life! So I eat this way no matter what! I think you have a very positive attitude and along with hubby you have every opportunity for success!

I see a nap coming Have a spectacular Sunday warriors and take care of yourself today!

Hi Bernie - does that mean that you are on phase 1? Or have you gone up to some of the other phases?

I noticed that you and a number of other posters here have achieved your goal weight and it is so inspiring to see that. I would love to hear the story of how you did it, how long it took, challenges, what a typical day in your life looks like, etc. I could really use the motivation.

Last edited by jane x : Sun, Feb-11-18 at 14:41.
  #513   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 17:46

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMN
I do understand when you state that this group is an induction food only eaters group. I have stated from the beginning why I have veered from the concept and have added minimal carbs, but my goal is to be at carb zero. I looked into this group at the suggestion of someone but I feel I should look for a different group that better fits my present needs. My intent was for help and support, not to circumvent the basis of the group. Good Luck to all of you in your journey.

Hi Gail, i would like to see you hang around this thread if you want to. I got to goal on induction levels, but then after I had some health issues I needed to up my vegetable carbs a bit, so I know where you’re coming from. I am a grandmother to 5 and retired. I’d like to chat with you some more. It is a big change to cut out carbs you’re used to. I know I felt so much better though without all the bad carbs. Not many doctors approve of low carb eating, but then they aren’t really trained in nutrition usually. It can be a rare find to get doctor approval. It isn’t always easy, but well worth the effort to go low carb. PM me if you want to.
  #514   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 17:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane x
Hello everyone!

So glad I found this group as I'm getting ready to do the '72 Atkins program. I even cleared out all the non-compliant foods from the house!

But I've hit a roadblock: I've discovered I have a dairy allergy. The two things that I like the dairy taste in are coffee and jello.

Does anyone have any suggestions for replacements that would be compliant with the program?

I know, logically, that this is a small thing but it's making me feel a bit panicky about starting the program without these little 'treats'.

Help!

p.s. I also gained 5 lbs in one week due to my menstrual cycle and I'm wondering how long it takes for that water weight to come off. Is there a section on the boards where I could find discussions of this nature?

You are making a good decision to commit to Atkins 72. It’s a great way of eating for those of us addicted to carbs! I haven’t given up dairy. Some people use almond milk, but it’s not my favorite. There’s also coconut milk if you like that. Once your body is used to low carb eating it is easier to give up the treats.
  #515   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 270/260/170 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

DelaneyLC - was unable to send pm, I do not have permissions, I think because I am fairly new. I do like this group, and perhaps I was too sensitive with my reply. I plan to stick to induction as closely as I am able until I get this diabetic/med thing figured out. Thanks for your kind words.
  #516   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 23:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMN
DelaneyLC - was unable to send pm, I do not have permissions, I think because I am fairly new. I do like this group, and perhaps I was too sensitive with my reply. I plan to stick to induction as closely as I am able until I get this diabetic/med thing figured out. Thanks for your kind words.

Hi Gail, oh yeah I think you might need a few more posts before you can PM. Maybe it’s around 25. It sounds like you’re on the right track and I think low carb will really help with your diabetes. You might be able to cut back on your meds eventually if you stick to low carb. You could also think about starting a journal, you would get help and feedback that way too. Starting out can be a challenge and I know how much it helps to have people in the same situation to talk to. I started back in 2014 when I was pre-diabetic and going strict low carb turned that around for me. Keep posting and also check out as much of the board as you have time for. It really helped me when I first started to read journals and other threads, which is how I ended up on the hardcore thread.

I liked the Rizzoli & Isles tv show too. It didn’t exactly follow the books, but I was sad to see them end the show.
  #517   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 04:10

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

This post is for GailMN, if you happen to drop by and read this, I agree with Bluesinger, this may not be the place for you, but we encourage you to start your own Journal, where you can meet and visit with others for the support that you need.

Stop by my Journal sometime, I love company, ttys, have a positive day...
  #518   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 04:56

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Last edited by Whirrlly : Thu, Mar-08-18 at 03:51.
  #519   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 06:23
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Default Monday, 12 February 2018

Good Monday Morning, Warriors!!

Hope all is well and wishing each of you a totally marvelous day in every way possible!

Stay WARRIOR Strong!

Carb-Free Food for Thought:
If you EAT what you’ve always EATEN, you’ll WEIGH what you’ve always WEIGHED!!

~ unknown

Onward WARRIORS! We've GOT THIS! Woot! Woot!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We've got 17 Days til SPRING!

De:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
At this time I would like to suggest we open up this thread to ALL Atkins ‘72 followers. I think the help we can offer is tremendous for anyone interested in low carb. If someone wants to do induction, that’s great. If not, we can still welcome anyone who is working toward goal as they follow Atkins ‘72. Sounds good to me!

I really do think we have a lot to offer. I love this thread but new people coming on board can be helpful to them and to us! Thoughts anyone?
I totally agree and I love this thread too!

I have no problem with anyone doing A '72 joining our merry band of Warriors b/c our ultimate goal is to help support, encourage and inspire each other every day.

The only roadblock I can foresee is that we don't have experience climbing the carb ladder. So we wouldn't be much help there...

Climbing the carb ladder doesn't work for me with my carb metabolic processing disorder and food related issues, so that's why I've stuck to Induction carbs all this time, as you guys know!

And Dr. A did say this which resonates with me to this day:
Quote:
The best decision is probably to stay pretty much on the very low carbohydrate diet on which you lost; only now you can feel free to deviate in small ways.

pg 263 | Diet Revolution 1972
jane:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane x
As a new person who has realized that a more disciplined approach might be necessary, I was delighted to find a place dedicated just for this approach that I need. I like the idea of focusing specifically on the '72 approach. I tried the Atkins website and was discouraged by all the focus to eat more veggies and move to a higher carb intake as soon as possible.

Personally, I need the support to learn how to work this particular program. There seems to be plenty of areas on this site and on the internet for the Atkins in general.
We're totally here for you if you're doing Atkins '72!
Quote:
I realized that I never properly introduced myself. Let me rectify that right now!

Hello, everyone. I'm Jane. I'm 50 yrs old and a real shortie at 5'2". This morning I weighed in at 198 lbs and I hope to get down to the 120 range. I have a dairy allergy, so I'll have to improvise to get the dairy equivalent. Not because I need the dairy, but because I miss the rich taste. Right now I'm trying out coconut milk and next week I'll try out almond milk.

I'm starting my phase 1 tomorrow and my husband is joining me. Yay! It will be so much easier without his carby treats tempting me all day long. Plus, we can eat our meals together and spend some quality time.
Hiya Jane, nice to meet you!

That's terrific that your DH is gonna be doing this with you! Sure will make cookin' that much easier and will eliminate the carby treats which could be a temptation!

I really adore the vanilla favored almond milk...makes me feel like Imma having an expensive foo-foo coffee... Which I've never had since I refuse to pay THAT much for a cup of Joe! Gees, almost the price of a lb of coffee... Yeah Imma pretty frugal!

In any case, wishing both of you much success as you start your journey to better HEALTH! You'll have to let us know how your DH is doing...

Berni:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
Holy Hannah! You've gotten a lot of snow... is it a record???
Quote:
I see a nap coming
Hope you had a chance to take a nap!

And I hope the stock market is on an up swing this week b/c I know how that affects how much work you have to do!

Karen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
I need exactly this fit. A thread that does not encourage in any way eating more carbs. I need to be very strict and I do not want to read about people eating 25, 30 carbs a day. I do not want that in my life on the thread I have chosen to join and to chat about 'how we all eat' the same and we all hold our eating to a certain level...this is the thread I need all the time! THAT is very important to me. To hold our thread to the A72 induction food list values that work for a warrior.

I don't think being a 'generic' A72 eating thread is gonna help me at all. I could go find that kinda eating thread anywhere.

I need and require the strict warrior style. I come here knowing my food eating place in this big bad carb world. I know our little thread is small and tight and very 'controlled' in our eating fashion of just eating the A72 Induction food list but that is exactly where I want it to stay!

This thread is eat the A72 Induction food list to your goal weight loss you want to achieve, after that anyone in maintenance CAN opt to add a few more carbs and experiment a bit if they desire. I am here for a reason, carbs have to go and a biological zero carb eating day is what I must have all the time.

hey, just my honest opinion on all this
Didn't you also start the LC Our Way thread couple of years ago, where everyone is all over the place on how they approach an LC WOE? NOT at all a criticism but an OBSERVATION...

That thread is still going strong and you've managed to stick to your ZC WOE w/o any problems.

I don't personally think having people in here doing A '72 is going to distract us from following our own LC WOE. That's all Imma saying...

Gail:
Hope you continue to post in here! B/c I know I'll support and encourage you 100%!
  #520   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 07:11

BF:

Last edited by Whirrlly : Thu, Mar-08-18 at 03:52.
  #521   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 10:12
Registered Member

BF:

Ok, I think I've been confused about this group and now it makes sense. I thought this was a '72 Atkins group, but I see that it's a '72 Atkins Phase 1 Only group. The '72 book does not use the word Induction, that's from a later book and in that book, Induction is a two week period only - with the option to continue if needed. I think the newer books even have Induction be a one week period.

In the '72 book, Phase 1 is very critical and Dr. Atkins notes that some people cannot venture beyond Phase 1 if they want to continue to lose weight - even maintain it. I think this is what you guys are saying - that Phase 1 is where you need to be permanently.

I can see how having a thread specifically for Phase 1 is good for people who need to stay on it permanently. I was really annoyed by the Atkins site because they keep pushing the increase of veggies and moving beyond the 20 carbs after one week. I wouldn't want to deal with that everyday, especially if I find that I have to stay at Phase 1 for a long time or permanently. It would just be a constant reminder of my limitations and would make me feel bitter and resentful.

I think if someone reached weight goal and is in maintenance using A72, that person might be a good candidate to start a new thread for those wishing to try the different phases to see how they do on it, without upsetting people who are restricted to Phase 1.

One of the things in the book that made the most impact on me was the fact that Dr. Atkins said he made the program for EASY weight loss. He said the goal is to lose weight easily, not rapidly.

I've been using that as my mantra. My goal is to find the easiest way to lose weight. If people have found that already, and it's being on Phase 1 permanently, I certainly wouldn't want to mess that up for them. I would be perfectly happy to move to another thread to do my experimenting with carb levels where I can post about my meals without feeling like I might be upsetting or triggering someone else. And where I can chat with others going through the same thing.

I mentioned that Dh is doing this with me. And that's a bit tough because he has a high metabolism and does not have any issues processing carbs. I have about 75-80 lbs to lose, he has 20 at the most and he will drop them quickly. He will probably be adding fruit within weeks and be okay. Not me. And it's going to be challenging to be around that kind of food everyday and not allow myself to eat it. I asked him to join me on this to give me a few weeks without distractions because I was starting to feel like I was punishing myself for being fat. There he would be, happily eating bagels and fruit and cookies. And I would just try to ignore it or leave the room and try to focus on something else, like reading. But it's hard. Just writing this out has brought me to tears. I don't want to do the same thing to anyone else.
  #522   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 270/260/170 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good Morning - had a very successful first week on my journey to a new eating plan. I have lost 3 pounds and realized benefits from the low carb intake. I have found valuable information on this thread, Just Jo, you are amazing in the time and resources you add. I have learned so much from all your shared info. Thank you. At a suggestion I posted to the Journal/Bootcamp thread. I will continue to visit this thread for ideas etc. At this time I cannot follow induction completely so I am outside of the reason this thread was begun. I anticipate getting to induction and then will rejoin. Have a blessed day.
  #523   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 10:32

Plan: Atkins 72 induction
Stats: 225/125/125 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello warriors,

Jane.... I have been on HCA-72 Induction level since March 2014. It took me 28 months but I lost 100 lbs. I am hypothyroid and have a metobolic resistance body! I have never been able to eat more than about 5 carbs a day and maintain my weight! Yep I am highly sensitive to the blood sugar level that even higher carb veggies have. I mainly eat eggs, ground turkey, and chik breast! Along with leafy greens or spinach. I have never gone higher than Induction level. For me there are no other levels!

Gail.... I understand that you will need to see your doc before lowering carb level. Diabetes very serious so do what doc says. My mom was able to keep her diabetes under control with low carb. Her doc always told her that her only carbs should be above ground veggies! Never any veggies shucked 🌽, in pods, or grown underground! I hope that helps you set you plan until you can do HCA-72.

Jo.... that was my big worry about opening our thread to
Higher level carb users. I don’t know anything about the imaginary ladder and will never be able to go above Induction level and maintain my weight loss! Heck I wouldn’t even try!

Karen... you know me girl I can overeat on zero carbs so I have to watch the leafy greens and Spinach! Never go over 85g. I
would be to afraid of waking the beast of cravings!
I look at this sight like an AA group. We are addicted to carbs can’t be around them can’t have even one bite or just like an alcoholic we be off the wagon and falling down the hole to oblivion!
I can ignore carbs around me just see them as cardboard but I
have no advice or help to give someone advice on losing weight with carbs!

De... your vacation on the beach 🏖 sounds fantastic! I think you gave Gail some excellent support!
Have a marvelous Monday warriors and take care of yourself!

S

Last edited by Bernie2014 : Mon, Feb-12-18 at 10:45.
  #524   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 10:38
Registered Member

BF:

Today is Day 1.

A few food related questions for y'all:

1. I notice that in the book, Dr. Atkins says that BBQ pork at an Asian restaurant is okay because the sugar in the sauce will have been cooked off. I have a Vietnamese marinade that I like to use on pork and it has a couple tbs of sugar. Do you think it will be okay to keep using it? Most of the sauce gets thrown out. I grill the meat and I think the sugar gets cooked off.

2. Ham. I just bought the Costco ham because DH needs a hearty breakfast. I think it might have minimal sugar in it, is it Phase 1 compliant?

3. Salad dressings - what are your favorites? Brands or recipes welcome.

As an aside - last week I was on my cycle and was drinking lots of coffee. But since Saturday, when my cycle ended, coffee has been upsetting my tummy. This morning I could only drink 1/2 mug (I was drinking 3 mugs last week) before I had to throw it out. Anyone else find this with going low-carb?
  #525   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 11:26

BF:

Last edited by Whirrlly : Thu, Mar-08-18 at 03:53.