Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 11:22
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Default Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #8

We call ourselves "Hard Core" because we are a group of like-minded people with the same philosophy about losing weight.
We are following A '72 Induction until we reach our GOAL WEIGHT without CHEATING!
Some of us will remain at Induction level carbs even in maintenance because we are that carb sensitive!

HARD CORE A '72 Warrior "MAINTAINERS"

(made desire Goal weight or below):

Bernie2014 125 lbs (as of 07 December 2015)
DelaneyLC 143 lbs (as of 03 January 2016)
Just Jo 114 lbs as of 25 April 2016 (130 lbs as of 10 March 2014)

I hope that everyone has a stellar 2016 with all of the Warriors making their desired goal weights so that we can all work on our MIM (Masters in Maintenance) together!!

We will be Warrior members of TEAM 5%!

Holy Hannah, we had over 2000 posts on 136 pages & over 64,678 views (as of today 27 December 2015) with our last Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #7 thread.

Last edited by Just Jo : Wed, Jun-29-16 at 05:06. Reason: Option M: More to say of course! HA!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 11:26
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Thumbs up Important Atkins 1972 Information

Almost Everything You need to know about A' 72 if you don't own the book!

Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution 1972

Induction Rules, Foods List, DR No No's & Other Notes

Biologically Zero Carbs
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 102
Quote:
"...Where you start the diet, of course, is with a daily intake of zero grams of carbohydrate. Although we allow salad on the diet from the start, and lettuce has carbohydrate in it, the amount it contains is so minute as to be biologically the equivalent of zero."
A Tablespoonful Of Potato Salad Can Slow You Down!
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 154

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...921&postcount=3

Dr. Atkins on "Weight Problem? = Stay On Plan For Life"

Diet Revolution 1972 pg 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletteB1
A good quote from Dr. Atkins:

“...as long as you look upon being off your (low-carbohydrate) diet as part of your future plans, you will never solve your weight problem. This can only happen when you accept the reality that if you have a weight problem, you must stay on a diet for life.”

"We must always keep this tidbit in mind. To remain thin - we must stick with our chosen WOE beyond our goals for LIFE to Infinity & Beyond!" [by Just Jo]

Posted by Paulette on 30 July 2015
Dr. Atkins on "Calories"
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 157

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...922&postcount=4

Dr. Atkins on "Alcohol"
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 147

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...924&postcount=5

Sugar Alcohols (Researched by Just Jo)

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...925&postcount=6

Dr. Atkins on "MAINTENANCE ~ Staying at Your Best"
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 261
Quote:
THE MAIN CHANGE THAT HAS TO BE MADE IS IN YOUR HEAD.

Success in maintaining your trim figure and your zest for living is guaranteed if you can achieve this radical change in your thinking.

If you have a chronic weight problem it is essential to totally accept, fully understand that your fat is one symptom of a lifetime disease. Your metabolizing processes are and always will be abnormal. Yes, even if you get slim and stay slim!

Many medical studies have shown that the biochemical responses of a formerly overweight person, such as the excessive insulin release when carbohydrates are eaten, are still quite different from a never-over weight person. In other words, you cannot eat what normal people eat and expect to stay thin.

So say to yourself over and over until you've got it through your rebellious head:

"My tendency to be overweight is one sign of a chronic metabolic disorder. My physiology doesn't handle certain kinds of foods as slim physiologies do. I mustn't try to compare my eating habits to those of a person who has never had a weight problem. Not now. Not ever."

"I have an illness, a lifelong illness. I can't cure it, but I can CONTROL it!"

Basic to controlling it is to understand that it is a permanent condition...about which you can do a great deal. Controlling it isn't all that difficult.
Dr. Atkins on "Amount of Carbs for Maintenance"
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 263
Quote:
The best decision is probably to stay pretty much on the very low carbohydrate diet on which you lost; only now you can feel free to deviate in small ways.
Dr. Atkins on "Maintenance"
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletteB1
From the book:

Q. Once I get the weight off and am a normal person again, why can't I maintain this normal weight by merely eating normally?

A. Because you only look normal; inside your body is the same metabolic abnormality that made you overweight in the first place. This, by the way, is one of the key points of the whole book.

Posted by Paulette on 31 July 2015

Last edited by Just Jo : Tue, Dec-29-15 at 13:09. Reason: Option M: More to say of course! HA!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 11:27
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Talking Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Threads from 17 November 2014 - 29 June 2016

Past Hard Core Atkins ‘ 72 Induction Threads!

(The first Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group thread is no longer available!)

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group part deux (17 Nov 2014 to 22 Feb 2015)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...84&page=1&pp=15

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #3 (22 Feb 2015 to 29 March 2015)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...22&page=1&pp=15

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #4 (29 March 2015 to 23 May 2015)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...78&page=1&pp=15

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #5 (23 May 2015 to 21 July 2015)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...07&page=1&pp=15

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #6 (21 July 2015 to 12 Sept 2015)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...95&page=1&pp=15

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #7 (12 Sept 2015 to 27 December 2015)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=9046773

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #8 (27 December 2015 to 29 June 2016)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=9076431

Last edited by Just Jo : Wed, Jun-29-16 at 06:32. Reason: Fixin' Flippin' TYPOS! Pffffffffffffft!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 12:19

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Thanks for the nice set up Jo!

Coming up on 2016.. It will be a good year for WARRIORS,
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 12:29

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/169/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I've been lurking on y'alls thread for quite some time now. I think with the new thread starting I'm going to come out of the woodwork. I practice Dr. Westman's plan of lchf, but it's pretty close to Atkins '72 I believe. He's been a big supporter of Dr. Atkins for many years and even observed Dr. Atkins in his clinic for a bit.

My name is Sarah and I've been back to <20 whole carbs per day since August 5. Usually I'm well under 20, getting carbs from mostly leafy greens and low-carb veggies. I consider myself hardcore, not tempted, and set in my belief this is the way I'm going to live my life and reverse my diabetes. I've lost 24 pounds since August 5 and I am a patient of Dr. Westman.

Jo, I love your style!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 12:40

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

JO--you had me laughing about 'the carb police'----boy do I wish I had someone at my side saying a flat out NO to me some days!
But like you said NO ONE is there but ME. I will not allow what others do to drag me in anymore.

anyway---like you said, goal is my priority. life opens up a very little later down the line. grit the teeth and get thru to goal. then learn a safe way to stay there. I am on my mission!!!!!

De---great for you getting thru but with hubby working I sure would see it being different. I love the whole family around at certain times and when one is missing for whatever reason it sure isn't the same.

Bernie---wow on the nerves being damaged that it takes a bit for you to feel that pain. yes you be careful! I know you are a go getter for sure, but you take care of that leg and don't overdo it too much!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 16:13
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
Thanks for the nice set up Jo!

Coming up on 2016.. It will be a good year for WARRIORS,
Amen, Warrior sister!

Yep I think a lot of the WARRIORS will make goal in the next few months as long as we all stay 100% OP today and let tomorrow take care of itself!

2016 will be an amazing year for sure!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 16:45
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobugsara
I've been lurking on y'alls thread for quite some time now. I think with the new thread starting I'm going to come out of the woodwork. I practice Dr. Westman's plan of lchf, but it's pretty close to Atkins '72 I believe. He's been a big supporter of Dr. Atkins for many years and even observed Dr. Atkins in his clinic for a bit.

My name is Sarah and I've been back to <20 whole carbs per day since August 5. Usually I'm well under 20, getting carbs from mostly leafy greens and low-carb veggies. I consider myself hardcore, not tempted, and set in my belief this is the way I'm going to live my life and reverse my diabetes. I've lost 24 pounds since August 5 and I am a patient of Dr. Westman.

Jo, I love your style!
Hiya, Sarah!

Our thread is dedicated to those following Atkins 1972 Diet Revolution Induction Level. That's what makes us Hard Core!

We are all committed to following the Rules of Induction set forth in his first book to goal and beyond (since some of us are über carb sensitive). These are posted above in the second post.

That being said, our carbs are actual carbs and most of us are doing biologically ZERO carbs, a few (Karen and Larry) are doing Zero carbs. Sorry if I missed anyone else doing ZC, I apologize now!

Biologically Zero Carbs
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 102
Quote:
"...Where you start the diet, of course, is with a daily intake of zero grams of carbohydrate. Although we allow salad on the diet from the start, and lettuce has carbohydrate in it, the amount it contains is so minute as to be biologically the equivalent of zero."
Once we hit our desired goal weight, some of us will experiment with adding a few more carbs, if we want.

Here's what Dr. Atkins said in 1972 about the amount of maintenance carbs [pg 263]:
Quote:
The best decision is probably to stay pretty much on the very low carbohydrate diet on which you lost; only now you can feel free to deviate in small ways.
I'm one of those that is pretty much stickin' to the exact number of carbs I started with...which is 4 daily!

I, for one, have no problem with you posting on our thread, Sarah! But remember we are doing A '72 Induction, so if you have an issue with your WOE, we probably WON'T be able to give you any helpful advice in that regard!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 16:58
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
JO--you had me laughing about 'the carb police'----boy do I wish I had someone at my side saying a flat out NO to me some days!
But like you said NO ONE is there but ME. I will not allow what others do to drag me in anymore .
Remember that when your family is in a "drinking" party mood... (Super Bowl etc)!

That's a whole lot of carb-age to have to burn off for a few drinks, eh? Then you gotta kick start your "fat burning engine" again! So NOT worth it in my book!
Quote:
anyway---like you said, goal is my priority. life opens up a very little later down the line. grit the teeth and get thru to goal. then learn a safe way to stay there. I am on my mission!!!!!
Grit teeth? Come on, Karen with that attitude you'll never make it to goal... remember this has to be sustainable FOREVER not just until you make it to goal!

If you're gritting your teeth now, you'll be gritting your teeth thru maintenance too!

In my personal experience, MAINTENANCE is as equally HARD as was losing the weight, if NOT HARDER because this is FOREVER.

At least with weight-loss, you knew there was a light at the end of the "fat" tunnel = reaching your desired goal weight!

Just some things to think about, Karen!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 17:23

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Grit teeth? Come on, Karen with that attitude you'll never make it to goal... remember this has to be sustainable FOREVER not just until you make it to goal!

If you're gritting your teeth now, you'll be gritting your teeth thru maintenance too!

In my personal experience, MAINTENANCE is as equally HARD as was losing the weight, if NOT HARDER because this is FOREVER.

At least with weight-loss, you knew there was a light at the end of the "fat" tunnel = reaching your desired goal weight!

Just some things to think about, Karen!

I have to agree. I believe that what makes it possible for me to maintain my weightless is a combination of gratitude for having found a way of eating that keeps me healthy and truly having come to believe that the foods that I no longer eat are poisons for my system so that even if I might have a small craving every now and then that craving doesn't translate into eating since I would never choose to voluntarily ingest poison. To succeed at this WOE you have to transform your mind from one that sees this WOE as a hardship to one that sees it a gift that brings you continued health. Learning what to eat and what not to eat is the easy part. The hard part is transforming your mind so that you can happily stick with it.

Jean
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 17:46
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I have to agree. I believe that what makes it possible for me to maintain my weightless is a combination of gratitude for having found a way of eating that keeps me healthy and truly having come to believe that the foods that I no longer eat are poisons for my system so that even if I might have a small craving every now and then that craving doesn't translate into eating since I would never choose to voluntarily ingest poison. To succeed at this WOE you have to transform your mind from one that sees this WOE as a hardship to one that sees it a gift that brings you continued health. Learning what to eat and what not to eat is the easy part. The hard part is transforming your mind so that you can happily stick with it.

Jean
Excellent points, Jean!

When I first happened upon this forum, JudyNYC left a lovely note in my journal that said:

"Remember the "gift" (losing the weight) and keeping the "gift" (maintenance)!"

I always remember the "gift" I was given!!

Here's what Dr. Atkins says in 1972 pg 261 the chapter on "MAINTENANCE: Staying at Your Best":
Quote:
THE MAIN CHANGE THAT HAS TO BE MADE IS IN YOUR HEAD.

Success in maintaining your trim figure and your zest for living is guaranteed if you can achieve this radical change in your thinking.

If you have a chronic weight problem it is essential to totally accept, fully understand that your fat is one symptom of a lifetime disease. Your metabolizing processes are and always will be abnormal. Yes, even if you get slim and stay slim!

Many medical studies have shown that the biochemical responses of a formerly overweight person, such as the excessive insulin release when carbohydrates are eaten, are still quite different from a never-over weight person. In other words, you cannot eat what normal people eat and expect to stay thin.

So say to yourself over and over until you've got it through your rebellious head:

"My tendency to be overweight is one sign of a chronic metabolic disorder. My physiology doesn't handle certain kinds of foods as slim physiologies do. I mustn't try to compare my eating habits to those of a person who has never had a weight problem. Not now. Not ever."

"I have an illness, a lifelong illness. I can't cure it, but I can CONTROL it!"

Basic to controlling it is to understand that it is a permanent condition...about which you can do a great deal. Controlling it isn't all that difficult.

Last edited by Just Jo : Tue, Dec-29-15 at 08:51.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 18:12

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

grit teeth for me means I am tired of not being at goal yet!

I am foaming at the mouth to just be in maintenance. I KNOW things aren't going to change much at all, but I can at least have 3-4 mushrooms with my steak

I also have thought about what I want back----and funny thing is----I can not come up with alot....which to me is fab actually LOL

I also want that option of drinking one day---I maybe drink 5 times a year.....but now I can't. I can't wait to experiment a bit with me.....but yes I agree I need to learn a bit and practice thru my journey of knowing I am hardcore and can sustain this.

I really don't have a bad attitude toward this journey
I am really a ZC type of gal or ultra low on some days..

but what I noticed is no one ever posts about any hard times.

I mean don't ANY of you question/miss/etc. or wonder or whatever about this journey?? I am doing MY journey for sure but I also chat about it. no one else chats about it---all you all really that secure? You never have temptations or whatever?

I guess being a loudmouth I chat more about what hits me on whatever day LOL

just rambling a bit again but I do realize going back is not an option cause I do not want to ever go back. not when I feel this good really on this woe.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 19:32

Plan: Keto Low Carb
Stats: 317/280/200 Male 66 Inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I had ONE (1) gram of carbs today.

I also went on a great Motorcycle ride with fellow bikers in the warm Florida Sunshine today.

Many of my biker friends have not seen me since this Spring. The were absolutely amazed at my weight loss. I was the topic of conversation most of the day. Feels good that others recognize my progress.

I have added an up to date photo of me taken today. It is at

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...p?i=37064&c=500

My bike is the dark red one.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 19:48

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
grit teeth for me means I am tired of not being at goal yet!

I am foaming at the mouth to just be in maintenance. I KNOW things aren't going to change much at all, but I can at least have 3-4 mushrooms with my steak

I also have thought about what I want back----and funny thing is----I can not come up with alot....which to me is fab actually LOL

I also want that option of drinking one day---I maybe drink 5 times a year.....but now I can't. I can't wait to experiment a bit with me.....but yes I agree I need to learn a bit and practice thru my journey of knowing I am hardcore and can sustain this.

I really don't have a bad attitude toward this journey
I am really a ZC type of gal or ultra low on some days..

but what I noticed is no one ever posts about any hard times.

I mean don't ANY of you question/miss/etc. or wonder or whatever about this journey?? I am doing MY journey for sure but I also chat about it. no one else chats about it---all you all really that secure? You never have temptations or whatever?

I guess being a loudmouth I chat more about what hits me on whatever day LOL

just rambling a bit again but I do realize going back is not an option cause I do not want to ever go back. not when I feel this good really on this woe.

I have thoughts about adding more veggies down the line. I think I need them and also want them. I just know I can't go back to eating bad carbs like sugar, grains, starches...ever.

I want to be a bit below goal and then start adding more veggies, just a bit at a time.

I don't feel sorry for myself, but there are times I wish I could eat like a "normal" person. I just know I can't ...

I try to focus on getting to goal and how great I feel on this WOE and not the negative stuff.

This low carb journey has been life changing for me and needs to be a permanent way of life! I can't see it any other way.

I won't always be as strict as I am now, but apparently I am super carb sensitive so I will always have to keep my carbs low. Now that I know...there's no going back!!!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 23:49

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hello Jo and everyone else (I know Jo from my newbie threads ).

I have been reading the #7 Hardcore Atkins thread on my iPad in bed at night as I'm trying to immerse my brain with this low carb stuff

I am not on '72 DADR at the moment but wondering if I should be, or need to be etc.

Can I ask all of you what made you go that route as opposed to DANDR?

I noticed Bernie2014's post #1787 on Dec. 11th about salad possibly causing problems, and about eating eggs with meat, or cheese with a burger. I had no idea that this could be a problem to eat them alone as they seem like protein and fat mostly.

I also know I'm incredibly carbohydrate intolerant, even though I've managed to lose very well my first 5 weeks on the <20 grams of carbs. Now I notice that even butter lettuce tastes very sweet to me, and I did have some (a very small amount as I had dinner guests, and that was my first time since the diet began) blueberries, sundried tomatoes and spaghetti squash and I can tell they have affected me some and got me thinking more about carbs, so I WON'T be having them again.

Do those of you who stick to almost no carbs feel like if you have more you will gain the weight back or not feel as good? I'm trying to wrap my head around it all.

Anyway, I am just curious about this plan and wondered these things .
Closed Thread