Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 15:02

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%
Default Cardio and Weight Machines

Howdy y'all,

So two weeks ago I started doing the weight machines. I use about 5 for arms and 5 for legs and do three sets of ten, or sometimes four sets.

My question is... now that I'm doing the machines, do I need to do the same amount of cardio, or do I still need to do the same amount on the days I do the weights?

I usually do 30 minutes on the stairmaster and then 30 minutes on the treadmill. OR, 20 stair, 20 mill, 20 elliptical. OR I'd do 30 stairmaster and 1 hour of the treadmill on intervals, going NO slower than 4.0mph. I also work out very hard on the stairmaster and elliptical. None of this "resting on your wrists" bullshit while your legs are still going.

I just don't want to OVER-exercise.

I like to do the weights every day unless I'm totally hurtin'. In that case I either do another muscle group, or just wait until it STOPS hurting and then start up again.

I dunno if I'm making any sense. I guess the bottom line is.. if I'm doing the weight machines now, do I have to do all that cardio? I really LIKE doing it, but if I need to ease up, then so be it.

Julia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 15:41

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

It takes a lot to over-train, esp. if you are a beginner and not lifting heavy weights, etc, etc. I think that at this point that if you enjoy doing that much cardio, you can continue to do it without negatively impacting the strength training. As you progress with the lifting and possibly start to focus on getting real strong, however, you should definitely re-think your routine and start to do cardio & lifting on different days. But right now, if you are losing weight and feeling good, i don't think you need to change things drastically.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 15:42

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Concentrate more on lifting weights..more muscle will boost metabolism

Are you intimitated by free weights..dumbells and barbells?

They are so much more effective than machines.

How about 30 minutes tops of cardio when you schedule yourself to do it? You can vary it for those 30 minutes,but if you only do 30, you can make it much more intense and much more effective.

Kindof a beat the clock type of thing..
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:13

"Are you intimitated by free weights..dumbells and barbells?"

Absolutely!

I'm thinkin' that while the machines aren't as good, they're better than nothing. So until I move on up to the free weights - machines it tis!

I *AM* pushing myself on them though. I'm not just loading up a 10 pounder and doing my 30 reps at lightning speed. So I think I'm doing them right. And even in only two weeks I've been able to go up in weight, so it's doin' something!

But yeah, the free weight thing.. I know they're better and can work more muscle groups than just ONE, like the machines, but all the personal trainers jump on me when I go in there and I'm sorry, but I just don't have the dough to have one of them coach me through all of them. When my HUSBAND finally gets his GAME FACE ON and JOINS ME at the gym, *he* can show me (for free), but until then, mama dun be doin' the machines.

I'll try the 30 minute "balls out" cardio way tomorrow!

I just feel sometimes that if I'm not sweating like a pig doing cardio for an hour or 90 minutes a day, that I'm not DOING anything.

Thank you Lilli and Gostrydr for your responses.

Julia
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 16:51

Plan: bodyopus
Stats: 212/196/185
BF:15%
Progress: 59%

I train with weights 3-4 times a week total body workouts for now 4 sets of 15 i only do one execise per muscle, the whole training takes me less then 40 minutes i try to complete an hour in the morning with stationnary bike and at night i do some boxing.

The important thing is to listen to your body, and do it progressive, i mean whats the use of going all out if you wont be able to train for the rest of the week right.

I dont beleive there is a certain limit when doing cardio has long has you mix it up, the more you do the more you feel good.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 23:57

Just wanted to say thanks for your response!

I've cut back on my cardio - I don't do ANY on the days I do weights, 'cept for maybe 3.0 on the treadmill for 10 mins to "warm up" before I hit the weight machines, and then I get back on after the weights for about 5 minutes to cool down.

I'm up to 6 arm/chest machines and 5 leg machines, usually 3 sets of 10 now that the weight is higher. It's a good day when I basically have to crawl out of the gym and can barely turn the steering wheel to drive home. HAR. Lifting my two year old into his carseat is always a treat as well...... NOT.

I've been doing intervals on the treadmill for some time now, on my cardio days. Not exactly HIIT type, but maybe a moderate version. I'm going to try some HIIT tomorrow though cuz I read somewhere that too much cardio destroys muscle mass? Hruh?
I mean, I don't want to be the Incredible Hulk, but boy am I seeing results from all my weights. It's awesome! I don't want the cardio to ruin that.... as I usually do 90 minutes on cardio days.

Alright, I'm blithering on again..... lemme know if anyone has any insight. OH, and I found a great website (sorry if it's been mentioned before, i don't lurk much on this part of the website) called www.myfreetrainer.com

Shows you how to do allllll the free weight exercises, so I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the idea of venturing into the weight room with all the dudes. We shall see.

Julia
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 06:44

BF:
Progress:

That is great on the free weights Julia? It is a little addicting isn't it?

You do 90 minutes of cardio? Yikes that is ALOT...

You are correct about cardio and muscle mass. I feel the bodies ability to recuperate is finite. Too much cardio produces way to much muscle destroying cortisol.

I too don't recommend cardio on the days when one lifts. One is going to suffer. Who wants to do cardio after a brutal weightlifting routine? And again our recuperative abilities are finite.

But for some, they have to, due to time restraints or they have super recuperative abilities.

Hey, intervals don't have to be all out..especially at this point. You will advance as you keep going.

You are doing awesome! Keep lifting those weights,they'll give you the most improvement in body composition. The more muscle you have the better you will look and your metabolism will be increased.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
That is great on the free weights Julia? It is a little addicting isn't it?

You do 90 minutes of cardio? Yikes that is ALOT...

You are correct about cardio and muscle mass. I feel the bodies ability to recuperate is finite. Too much cardio produces way to much muscle destroying cortisol.

I too don't recommend cardio on the days when one lifts. One is going to suffer. Who wants to do cardio after a brutal weightlifting routine? And again our recuperative abilities are finite.

But for some, they have to, due to time restraints or they have super recuperative abilities.

Hey, intervals don't have to be all out..especially at this point. You will advance as you keep going.

You are doing awesome! Keep lifting those weights,they'll give you the most improvement in body composition. The more muscle you have the better you will look and your metabolism will be increased.

TOTALLY addicting! Especially when my sister said to me, as I started to pick up my two year old "Jesus Christ Julie! Look at your arm muscle!" Then I got all embarrassed and didn't know where to look, but I appreciated the compliment!

So yeah, the more definition I get... the more excited I get and the more I want to do!

Cool on the intervals. What I've been doing lately is gettin' on the treadmill at 0% incline 3.0mph for about 3 minutes, then up to a 15% incline at 3.5mph for 10 minutes, or as long as I can stand it, then back down for a rest at 0% incline at 3.0, then after a bit of slowing my panting down, I'll run at 7.5mph 0% incline for 30 seconds, then walk at a 3.8 0% incline to cool down, then do the whole thing over again. Does that sound like enough? How long should I do the sequence for? I'm thinkin' an hour is much to long... maybe 40 minutes? Or is that good enough to do 20 minutes?

I know 90 minutes of cardio is too much, but, the selfish truth is, is that GYM TIME is the only MY time I ever get. My kids are in the Kid Care there and THAT is why I stay so long.... I can keep them in there up to TWO hours if I wanted, but never go over 1.5 hours. They LOVE it there and that's the great part!

So what if I did my interval stuff for as long as y'all think I should do it and then I just walk on the treadmill for the REST of the time at a super easy pace with NO incline... read a magazine or something. If I'm not going crazy balls out, THAT'S not going to ruin the muscles I've built, right?

Ysabella - BOOYAH INDEED! Lifting Sisters Unite! RARRRR!

RealDeal - Yeah, there's no way I can do cardio after the weights. I swear, I can barely move after my weights days as I do a FULL BODY weight regimen every other day. I'm fine in about an hour, but RIGHT after, forget it. So I'm sticking to weights one day, cardio the next and Sundays off from all of it.

Julia
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 12:54
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

I love free weights. Always happy to see another chick lifting weights! Booyah!!

And I will add - my 14 month-old toddler is 26 pounds. Lifting weights makes toting him around much, much easier.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 13:47

Well if you want to achive glycogen depletation the best way is to weight train then cardio.

On the other hand i am not looking at adding any muscle mass i am going for cuts and definition.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 16:21

Since i am coming back a nearly 6 year layoff from back pain my weight training sessions are not that intense, after all its better to lift a bit then reinjure myself.

I do feel that weight training gets better with age, in am now 35 and find i dont have to do that much to get my body to respond to weight training, i try to get 3-4 sessions a week of total body training.

4 sets of 15 reps with 30 seconds break between, depending on how i feel after i might hit the stationnary bike or do boxing.

Today i tried the 3 minute round 1 minute rest, i didnt know that part two ended at round 7 and i still add some energy to get to 10 like part 1.

Last night i tried the MMA training cd, i manage to get 4 rounds in, its very hard when he yells defense you crouch down on the flour, along with boxing and kicking.

Its different and cool, and intense.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 16:36

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do: maintain weight through cardio and build muscle/strengthen bones with weight-lifting? Or body-fat loss and specific muscle definition? I agree with others that 90minute cardio is a lot, particularly if it's weight maintenance.

I recommend Krista's site for lifting, Stumpuous.com and Bill Phillips Body-for-Life book and site (skip the diet advice, obviously). They might have ideas on how best to prioritize your work for the goals you want to attain. And I've gotten lots of good ideas reading the workouts people have posted in the Gym Logs thread here.

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 16:46

Terry, I'm trying to go the body fat loss route with muscle definition.... i'm around 118 right now, would LIKE to be 110, however if that isn't possible then I'd like to at least see the muscles I have by building them up a little. I would luvvvv to keep losing body fat, so that's what I'm trying to do with the cardio. I agree that 90 min is too long too, but that last post I wrote, how about 20 minutes of that regime? Enough? Not enough?

Oh and i've BEEN to Stumptuous.. man that girl is fookin' hilarious! and very informative.

julia
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 20:03

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulia
I would luvvvv to keep losing body fat, so that's what I'm trying to do with the cardio. I agree that 90 min is too long too, but that last post I wrote, how about 20 minutes of that regime? Enough? Not enough?

Julia,

Folk swear by HIIT, which isn't sustainable over 90min (15min is typical, with warm-up/cool-down additional). The key is the "high intensity" part: a heart-rate monitor can give you the range to shoot for above your usual interval training rate. Lots of folk here can give you good advice on HIIT, and there's an intro at Muscle Media that mentions running, stair-stepper, and cycling HIIT.

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 08:28

BF:
Progress:

Ghoulia,
don't do the read a magazine type of cardio..it is a waste of time. Serioulsy, how focused can you be watching TV or reading a magazine? Yeah you may work up a sweat a little,but if you are reading about Paris Hilton and Britney Spears are you really in to your workout? I don't think so..

So I would try to get to the point where your cardio takes you no longer thatn 15-20 minutes..you could always do a longer session once a week,but really try and push your cardio.

If you do that,there is no way you could/would want to, for 90 minutes.

Remember Ghoulia, don't worry about how much fat you burn WHILE you workout,but how much after.

Studies have shown that you will burn fat for about 4 hours after you do a slow,steady state type of workout.

But if you do the HIIT type you may burn fat for 38 hours more!!

Now what sounds better?

Doing this type of cardio in addition to weighlifting is the ideal way to lose weight,get hard and build muscle.IMO.

Do yourself a favor and read all you can on EPOC..

Again, great job..you may be one of those genetically gifted people.