Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-16, 10:14

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default How fasting breaks down the body....

What a bunch of C***! any body care to write a rebuttal? I don't even know where to start.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...4b0a06d58058b7f
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-16, 10:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I think the comments posted underneath the article in your link adequately refutes this nonsense. My favourite comment was:
"Let's be clear, "skipping a meal or two" is NOT (the same as) a 72 hour ordeal, that's not eating a morsel for three entire DAYS".
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-16, 10:58

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Soooo, when I sleep I'm hangry? OMG!?!?!!! I gotta wake up to eat every 6 hours!!! LOLWUT
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-16, 11:01
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I put in a complaint on the site. Hard to believe that HuffPost would print such bad science as if it is fact.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-16, 11:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Consider the source, in particular, this author. She also suggests you eat more beans to lose weight.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-16, 11:31

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Just in case, here's a copy of the comment I posted on yooboot:
Quote:
Fat = fatty acids and glycerol. This is why it's called triglyceride (TG), or triacylglycerol or triacylglyceride (TAG).

Glycerol can be converted to glucose as need be. This preserves protein.

If all this happens after 6 hours, it means it happens when we go to sleep.

Ketones preserve protein by a process called Chaperone-Mediated Autophagy (CMA), which is the breakdown of glycated protein, those protein can then be used to make other protein, or glucose as need be. But since there's already glycerol for that, it's unlikely that protein will be used to make glucose.

Athlete's performance is improved when they eat low-carb. And glycogen is not depleted as many otherwise believe.

Low-carb means high-fat. The fat soluble vitamin A is essential for proper immune function and red blood cell turnover, to name a few. Fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) can only be absorbed _with_ dietary fat. Therefore low-carb is beneficial to immune function. Furthermore, low-carb (and incidentally, fasting, or going without food for a few hours) lowers HbA1c, a known risk factor for diabetes.

Low-carb is not starvation, though the video seems to conflate the two. Nor is starvation going 6 hours or even 72 hours without food. These numbers describe what's called fasting, and we do it every day, several times a day, in-between meals, and while we sleep. We're fully adapted to fasting for a few hours.

I would appreciate a little more veracity in the video, especially since the goal as stated at the end is a noble one.

I guess it's good enough for a rebuttal, yes?

-edit oops forgot the last line of the comment
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 11:02

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

On a similar topic, Mercola surprised me by saying this recently: (Link)
Quote:
I personally strongly disagree with fasts much longer than 18 hours as it will drive most people into burning lean muscle mass for fuel.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 12:14

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOg_Zvz40q0

I like this video for showing the horrible effects of a prolonged (18 day) water fast on lean mass. Not really, he looks like he did fine. He shows before and after in the first few minutes, so you don't have to watch much to see that.

This guy had reasonable levels of body fat and lean mass to be going into a water fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htuVijrCgl4

And this is an example of what happens if you do a 30 day water fast, but your reserves, both lean and fat are much lower than that first guy. Around 22 minutes in he shows you how he gets progressively more gaunt.

Realistically, if you fast for 18 hours or 18 days, you'll lose some lean mass. But it's not like you cut off your hand or something. It grows back.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-16, 21:16

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I find Joe Mercola is usually pretty on top of things when it comes to health and regularly use a lot of his ideas. But of course I don't always think everything he says is right; nobody's perfect. If he comes across more accurate information like the type Jason Fung is putting out about fasting and preservation of muscle mass he might well update his own website to say so. He seems good about saying when he's found new information and changed his views accoringly.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-16, 04:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Back in 2012, there was a lot of talk about a Harper's article by journalist Steve Hendricks about his 20 day fast. I couldn't find article directly without going through sign-up, but here is a good summary of it in a "Journalism" column.
http://journalism.about.com/od/prof...te-About-It.htm the author had a bigger response to this than his books.

It was the first time (for me) reading in mainstream mags that fasting was described as normal and medically restorative, not fringey bodybuilding or part of a religious diet (Daniel Plan was popular too)
He still keeps his weight in check with shorter fasts and exercises so he is not exactly wasting away. He has a new article, Fasting to Overcome Jet Lag, that also brings the technique to "normal" lifestyles.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Apr-05-16 at 04:14.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-16, 13:06

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaser
Realistically, if you fast for 18 hours or 18 days, you'll lose some lean mass. But it's not like you cut off your hand or something. It grows back.
I love this comment, Teaser... pithily perfect!

Anyone can lose lean mass on three meals a day... simply by not using their muscles, lying in bed day after day. Or consider a simple arm or leg break after 6-8 weeks in a cast... the arm or leg is usually 1/3 less in size compared to the normal limb. But the withered limb regains muscles upon being used... the previously broken limb never stays withered, unless those muscles have also been destroyed in an accident.

One comment I've heard several times in my fasting life since 1975, always said ominously to induce fear in me, "The heart is a muscle...", implying my heart is the first source of muscle mass my body will raid for energy while fasting.

Obviously they're thinking of Karen Carpenter, a totally different situation. I'd have to lose 120 lbs to reach her state, which ain't gonna happen. Shoot, I have trouble enough just getting down to normal weight, even while fasting.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-16, 20:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

...not only would you have to lose 120 lbs. You'd have to lose it by being anorexic, which is an entirely different order of things than IF.

Chronically feeding oneself extremely low calories is so very damaging, and a lot of us did it, unfortunately!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 11:12

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Consider the source, in particular, this author. She also suggests you eat more beans to lose weight.