Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 08:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/193/135
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question please explain

could someone explain how u can lose a pants size but gain 3lbs??? i am on day 8 of induction and initially lost 7 lbs on the scale by day 4---but gained 3 back. i am surpisingly in ketosis big time and have fit in the next smaller pants size---jeans i couldnt even shut before. i just dont get where did the inches go??? somewhere eles?? maybe if i could understand it would keep me off the scales---
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 08:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Gem, perhaps this will help illustate the value of exchaning fat for muscle

When you replace fat with muscle it will weigh the same or more (afterall, a lb is still a lb) but it (and consequently, YOU) will occupy less space.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 08:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/193/135
BF:
Progress: 11%
Lightbulb i think someone just turned on the light

oh my god did that picture not just turn on the lights for me.....thank you so much.....it makes perfect sense--
thanks again
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 09:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default another possibility

Another possibility for the smaller pant size may be that by not eating grains, you are not having any bloating. Grains used to make my belly swell up something awful. Bagels were the worst! I didn't realize this until I began LC. I must have lost 3 inches in my waist in about 2 days. My weight loss in the last two months has been nonexistent but I feel so much better without the carbs that I will stick with this forever.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 11:16

Plan: Atkins, BFL
Stats: 182.5/160/125
BF:
Default Re: another possibility

Quote:
Originally posted by nopie
Another possibility for the smaller pant size may be that by not eating grains, you are not having any bloating. Grains used to make my belly swell up something awful.

I totally agree about not being bloated. The first thing I've noticed on this WOE is that I didn't feel bloated after meals. Before, my stomach would feel like it was out to there, and I felt really uncomfortable even after a moderate meal. Of course, my meals were mainly consisted of carbs (pasta, rice, bread, sweets). Now, I can eat a big ol' steak and a salad and feel just great!!

Since starting on Atkins, I've lost an inch each from my chest and hips. My middle isn't budging even though I'm not feeling bloated!! What's up with that? lol
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 11:38

BF:

Yep, there's definitely a bloat factor to LC Or a lack of bloat factor if you prefer. But when you GAIN weight and you lose inches, it's a sign of muscle replacing fat - and it's great cause to celebrate. You just raised your metabolism.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 11:40

BF:
Default Re: Re: another possibility

Quote:
Originally posted by MunchyP
Since starting on Atkins, I've lost an inch each from my chest and hips. My middle isn't budging even though I'm not feeling bloated!! What's up with that? lol

Genetics. You lose fat the same way you gained it. Its individual and it can't be changed. Women tend to lose (this is TEND to lose) from the upper body, followed by the middle trunk area, and finally frome the butt and hips - that hip/butt fat is tough to get rid off.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 13:57

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Very good job gem...

I have heard the same thing nat.. But in my case yes leave it to me to be different... I have lost my rearend first.. lol i have a case of the saggy britches... I have finaly started loosing in my abdominal section but that is where i gained it first.. I love my legs now... I like the feeling of being able to walk and my upper thighs dont rub like they use to ... I have definatly gone down in the bra area.. quite a bit.. YEAHHHHHH... and feel great...

Gem keep up the great work you are doing... I would rather have muscles any day over fat.. and yes that picture does bring light on that....

Tammy
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 18:29

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Lightbulb

Tammy, I am with you! My butt, hips and bust have shrunk, but my waist has only budged 3 inches. I feel kind of lop-sided This belly came from too much drinking early in college, and I just know that my last 10 pounds here (I'm on the home stretch!!!!!) will take it off, but the last ten are the hardest......It has been difficult my whole life to find pants that fit properly but luckily with the low rise pants that are currently en vogue, I can strap on a size 6 or 8 pants and they fit me perfectly. Knowing my luck, the low rise will go "out" and I'll be stuck with high waisted jeans that seem to think that all women have a ten inch difference between their waist and hips.

Munchy, you will probably be like me, and the belly will be the last to go. BUT, it will shrink some even initially. Even if you don't end up with the body you want, and you always have a little roundness, you'll still look pretty hot; and that's something we all have to accept (me included). Even LCing won't change our body type. On the plus side, those with abdominal fat (I've heard) find those last few pounds not as difficult to lose as those whose last remaining fat stores are in their hips/thighs/butt. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. I often "hear" things, but never remember where I heard them from!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 21:37

Plan: Atkins, BFL
Stats: 182.5/160/125
BF:
Talking

I guess I'm not the only one who's slow to lose the mid-section! I've always been top heavy, so I'm really not worried about the hip area, but if I don't lose some of this belly, I'll be shaped like a quasimodo (sp?)......with big boobs!!