Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-12-06, 09:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I find that aging eyes works really well. I used to see a fine mustache in the mirror every morning, now I don't! Just be sure to not approach the mirror wearing glasses or contacts.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-12-06, 18:12

Plan: Bernstein, M&E
Stats: 179/163.3/118 Female 5'4'
BF:2darnmuch
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsemus
Hi, Mirielle,

I'm about halfway through the laser treatments and am noticing the hair growing sparser. I understand it works best on people with fair skin and dark hair. The white whiskers (I'm not young!) might not take the treatment well, so maybe I'll be left with a snow-white mustache and chin whiskers. Lovely--somehow I don't think the term "Silver Fox" will apply. Guys have it so easy!

I relate to your comment about being glad there is some support for PCOS now and feeling all alone prior to discovering other PCOS folks. Same here! I'll look into CALP since you favor it. I have trouble with induction on Atkins but believe firmly that keeping the insulin low is the key to a number of my health issues. I've got that in my brain now..."just" have to translate it to consistent behavior. Cheers.

Orsemus

I could not do induction for more than a week on Adkins. I think I am too old. I love the CALP because I do get to have fruit or ice cream or corn and beans once a day at the RM.

DH and I have given up wheat for the month as an experiment. So far we feel terrific.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: General/Atkins
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm plagued with hair mostly everywhere. I'm only really bothered by the facial hair. I tried waxing, but it has to get a certain length to do it again. The hair remover creams do not work they never get it under the skin - they lie so much. Vaniqua burned and didn't help much. Bleaching is ok but I have coarse hairs sprout that I have to pluck. I did laser twice and it removed about 50% of the hair. I have not had it again, but will. There's still hair that I have to pluck every morning, it takes about 40 minutes and has scarred me. I have to use makeup to cover it. I'm hoping to do it again soon another 4 times and stop having hair growth. But I worry about new hair? Here it's by a doctor $300 first time, $150 for anything after.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 17:33
coffee...yum!

Plan: Who knows
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6
BF:oh/my/gosh
Progress: 22%

I can't think of the brand names for these two products..but Monday when I get back from work I will post them. We have a waxing system at work (I am a hairdresser) and it is a soy based product. If you are not allergic to soy....I find it wonderful. (I also use it on myself.) To me it seems to work well on the tough hairs and I have yet to have anyone break out...get red or bleed from it. Also we give a little packet of creme for them to take home and use everyday....this packet lasts for about two weeks. The thing about this creme is...it slows down the growth of the hair to come back. It was originally used on burn victims to keep the skin clean and hair-free while the healing process took place. Don't know if anyone is interesed but I will get the names of the wax system and the packets.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 14:22
coffee...yum!

Plan: Who knows
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6
BF:oh/my/gosh
Progress: 22%

http://www.nufreenudesse.com/default.asp

All info here in this link. The system is called Nufree and the creme is Finipil.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 21:42

Plan: none
Stats: 146/126/105 Female 61
BF:
Progress:

I pluck my neck hairs, shave my beard 1x a week.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 01:44
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

The finipil cream sounds interesting. I will have to research it more. I really have no desire to experiment with a new wax system, I sorta have my wax/tweeze system down and I am always disappointed with new wax. Even the salons stuff cant get rid of my nasty hair but this finipil stuff might work with my current hair removal methods and anything that can help slow the growth is something I need!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 17:09
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

I've used Vaniqa, and it works for me, however, putting it on day and night isn't a routine that I ever managed to do, and it's required. Once you stop using Vaniqa, the hair grows back.

I've shaved/plucked, but that never worked for me.

I do laser, and am THRILLED with the results!

I go to "American Laser" (www.americanlaser.com) and go every 7-10 weeks. I paid $2200.00 for six sessions, and then I am able to continue to go every 7-10 weeks for the next two years for free.

I started my laser therapy in January 2005. I have very dark hair, and fairly light, but ruddy skin. My lip had a full mustache, I had thick sideburns, and I had the workings of a goatee... just about my whole chin. I also had a line of hair going from my chin, down the front of my neck.

The first few times I went, it felt similar to getting slapped with a rubber band. Each time, though, hurt less and less. I've gone every 7 weeks like clockwork, and I am still going now. I plan to go until my 2 years are up.

My sideburns now have NO extra hairs at all. My chin has ALMOST no hairs, and the hairs that are there have completely changed in texture. Now they are very soft. If I had to count the hairs on my chin, I'd say I have 4. I have NO hair on the front of my neck now. My mustache line has been the most resistant, and that's mostly gone now as well... again, the hairs all changed in texture... they are still dark, but they are much finer. If I had to count how many hairs were in my mustache line, I would guess at 10-15. I've been having the laser technician do double or triple passes on my lip line.

I 1000% stand behind American Laser, and would happily pay that $2200.00 again. I only wish these lasers had been created YEARS ago, so I wouldn't have to be so sad/upset about all this hair growth.

I have not had to shave my face in OVER 1 year! What a wonderful feeling!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-07, 10:58
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I also wanted to say that I have been getting laser and thrilled with the results as well! In fact I am so pleased I want to get it on the rest of my body now too. I have been going since Jan. about once a month. The results are great. I usually only have to start shaving shortly before my next visit when the hair starts growing back. I have notices HUGE reductions and believe me, I was bad!!!!

The greatest feeling is when I touch my face and I don't feel any stubble!

I pay $450 a session and my dermatologist does the laser himself. http://www.bayarealaserdr.com/intro.htm

He is really great! If anyone is in the SF Bay Area I highly recommend him!

I think getting laser hair removal is probably one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life! Right up there with low carbing!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-07, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: no grains no sugar
Stats: 172/160/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

I've been going for electrolysis for years. Started doing bikini area -worked good. For some it can be painful (for me it's ok - I want it done and it looks so much better - The hairs come back finer and lighter. And now I only do a little treatment once for the summer. Now I've gotten a few on my upper lip and chin also. No one has mentioned this but I also get a few on my boobs and she takes care of them for me. I only had to have them done 2 or 3 times and that's it. they haven't come back. Suzy
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 02:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/228/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 11%

I've had laser about 4 times over 9 years. I had it when it first came out and had two treatments a week apart. I guess it was new and the doctor wasn't away you should wait 6-8 weeks. I never kept it up really because I hated having to let it grow some or shave. I'm going to restart it again. What I have noticed is that in the last year I let my eating go straight to hell and the hair problem is much worse. The hair is a lot coarser. As far as fine hair goes, I can deal with. The coarse hair is just depressing. I think I will call within the next week to restart laser. They really need to find something to make body hair obsolete in women. Something that works very fast.......
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 03:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179/158/148 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 68%

for the face i wax..for arms and tummy - epiltae
legs and underarms i shave! x
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 04:49
Currently Fascinated

Plan: M&E/Atkins
Stats: 225/150/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Quite Possibly
Progress: 75%

Well thank goodness I found this thread. I thought I was alone in this. I'm thrilled that I'm not, yet sad for you all (if that makes any sense).

I did electrolysis awhile back, and it helped at the time. It was not permanent, though. I ran out of time and money to continue going, so I stopped. I've debated laser, but had heard it didn't work. The creams and such don't work for me (they just hurt), and I haven't tried waxing. I don't like having to let the suckers grow long enough for that, but maybe I'll give it a shot. Right now, I do a combination of plucking and shaving that gets me through the day (and when I keep up with the plucking, sometimes I can skip a day or two here and there), but I keep an emergency razor at work, just in case. I also get a couple of hairs at each corner of my upper lip, one on my cheek, and a couple on my boobs (all of those I pluck). My doctor doesn't think I'm PCOS, but then, she didn't care about the hair growth at all.

I wish it would go away. I am dark haired and fair skinned, so all those dark hairs show a lot. I am more self-conscious of that at times than I've ever been of my weight.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 05:50
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

#30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 06:29

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I'm going to my first laser appt. I had electrolysis, but I ran out of time and money, too as one poster said. It lessened it some, but not greatly.

Doctors tell me that as I loose weight, this problem will be lessened. I hope so.

They told me it is only 100 bucks for chin and upper lip per session and I'll need about 7. I think that's great.