Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 11:13

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Yes, I read Sugar Crush. I wish I'd had that information about twenty or more years ago, but better late than never.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 16:54

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Amazon reviews for this book are interesting. One common consensus seems to be that while his previous two are both very good, this one doesn't actually offer too much in the way of new information. But that's really only an issue if you have read GCBC/WWGF, I suppose.

Certainly it's getting a lot of good reviews as well, but the average score of 4.1 is a bit down on the earlier books, possibly for the above reason.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 18:24

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

So far, I've only seen fairly positive and respectful discussions of the book. Here's one from NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/b...ary-taubes.html

Another on Vox, with interview with Taubes: http://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...inst-sugar-book

Quote:
Taubes: If you ask the question, “Why not sugar and refined grains?” particularly considering my other books, the answer is simple. Well, largely because of Southeast Asia — an entire continent of people who consume a lot of refined grains [i.e., white rice] and had low levels of obesity and diabetes until, like everyone else, they start eating a Western diet. Science is about explaining observations, and that’s an observation that requires explanation. One possibility is that I’m just wrong about the carbs. A second obvious possibility is that it’s the sugar, because these are populations that have, again, until recently, consumed exceedingly little sugar. And then, of course, there’s a host of other possible explanations as well.

Added meat in their diet is what the vegans say.

I don't know how to imbed this image so you can see it directly, but it's a good one: Breakfast Food and Dessert Equivalent

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/FG...12.38.51_PM.png
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 18:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

He's got a point on the rice thing. Thinking about is, since sucrose and fructose directly attack the liver, there must be something about a malfunctioning liver that doesn't deal well with glucose. Simple insulin resistance is one thing but perhaps there's some other damaging result. Does Taubes speak to that?
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 10:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Taubes says the liver processes fructose, but not sucrose.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 13:15

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
Manufactures need less HFCS to make something as sweet as if they used sugar so banning HFCS would just cause them to switch to white sugar and use more of it thus negating the purpose of a ban.

Interestingly, I bought some Dextrose (which I think is Glucose) and it wasn't very sweet. Thus, the sweet taste of sugar is either from the Fructose (explaining why HFCS is sweeter) or the combination of Fructose & Glucose (Sucrose).
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Taubes says the liver processes fructose, but not sucrose.

Sucrose is one part glocose, one part fructose.

#68   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 16:20

BF:

Ack! I meant glucose, thanks.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 17:28

I get them confused all the time. Whenever this topic comes up I have to go refresh my memory
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 08:12

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The book is much shorter than GCBC, but I would not call it concise. I'm half way though it, and there is a lot of interesting new information, but it is the writing style, not the science, that is dense, convoluted and repetitive. His other two books and articles are much better written.

"three quarters of a century minus one" is not a concise way of saying "74 years"!

A good editor would have reduced the book to 200 non-repetitive, clear and on-point pages. I'm wondering if it was rushed to publication because its 8 years as a work in progress were up.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Jan-09-17 at 08:19.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-17, 06:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
The book is much shorter than GCBC, but I would not call it concise. I'm half way though it, and there is a lot of interesting new information, but it is the writing style, not the science, that is dense, convoluted and repetitive. His other two books and articles are much better written.

"three quarters of a century minus one" is not a concise way of saying "74 years"!

A good editor would have reduced the book to 200 non-repetitive, clear and on-point pages. I'm wondering if it was rushed to publication because its 8 years as a work in progress were up.

Interesting: that was not my take. "200 concise pages) is a website, not a book

In fact, I can just say "Don't eat sugar." There. Bumper sticker.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 07:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Catching up on articles, this was "the long read" in The Guardian on Jan 5th:

Is sugar the world’s most popular drug?
It eases pain, seems to be addictive and shows every sign of causing long-term health problems. Is it time to quit sugar for good?
by Gary Taubes

Quote:
Imagine a drug that can intoxicate us, can infuse us with energy and can be taken by mouth. It doesn’t have to be injected, smoked, or snorted for us to experience its sublime and soothing effects. Imagine that it mixes well with virtually every food and particularly liquids, and that when given to infants it provokes a feeling of pleasure so profound and intense that its pursuit becomes a driving force throughout their lives.

Could the taste of sugar on the tongue be a kind of intoxication? What about the possibility that sugar itself is an intoxicant, a drug? Overconsumption of this drug may have long-term side-effects, but there are none in the short term – no staggering or dizziness, no slurring of speech, no passing out or drifting away, no heart palpitations or respiratory distress. When it is given to children, its effects may be only more extreme variations on the apparently natural emotional rollercoaster of childhood, from the initial intoxication to the tantrums and whining of what may or may not be withdrawal a few hours later. More than anything, it makes children happy, at least for the period during which they’re consuming it. It calms their distress, eases their pain, focuses their attention and leaves them excited and full of joy until the dose wears off. The only downside is that children will come to expect another dose, perhaps to demand it, on a regular basis.

How long would it be before parents took to using our imaginary drug to calm their children when necessary, to alleviate discomfort, to prevent outbursts of unhappiness or to distract attention? And once the drug became identified with pleasure, how long before it was used to celebrate birthdays, a football game, good grades at school? How long before no gathering of family and friends was complete without it, before major holidays and celebrations were defined in part by the use of this drug to assure pleasure? How long would it be before the underprivileged of the world would happily spend what little money they had on this drug rather than on nutritious meals for their families?

There is something about the experience of consuming sugar and sweets, particularly during childhood, that readily invokes the comparison to a drug. I have children, still relatively young, and I believe raising them would be a far easier job if sugar and sweets were not an option, if managing their sugar consumption did not seem to be a constant theme in our parental responsibilities. Even those who vigorously defend the place of sugar and sweets in modern diets – “an innocent moment of pleasure, a balm amid the stress of life”, as the journalist Tim Richardson has written – acknowledge that this does not include allowing children “to eat as many sweets as they want, at any time”, and that “most parents will want to ration their children’s sweets”.

But why is this rationing necessary? Children crave many things – Pokémon cards, Star Wars paraphernalia, Dora the Explorer backpacks – and many foods taste good to them. What is it about sweets that makes them so uniquely in need of rationing?

(This truly is a Long Read ...continues at

https://www.theguardian.com/society...st-popular-drug
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 08:50

BF:

Within a month of doing Atkins, I knew: sugar is a drug.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 05:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Live FB Interview with Gary Taubes conducted by Dr David Ludwig, an hour long.

https://www.facebook.com/davidludwi...07532402596138/
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 08:13

Plan: <30 total carbs
Stats: 216/183/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 41%

It's a few days late, but I just listened to an interview with Gary Taubes on Tom Ashbrook's On Point podcast and I thought it was very good.

http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2017/01...sugar-diet-food