Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 09:12
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Awesome news, Bekkers! I'm excited that you're finding something that motivates you, which is the key to living this way. The real key to this forum IS finding people who are like-minded and can help with the journey. There are a lot of us over here in PP land, but the few who are have been wonderful to me! I really believe in this WOL.

Larry's comments about the CO are right on. The way I describe it is that it has a "neutral" taste when cooking with it. I've used it to sautee my eggs. You don't get the same yumminess as butter, but the fat from CO is so good for you it's worth the addition. One thing I do want to caution is the quantity. I'm excited to see Larry is getting benefits from 1tbsp a day. The recommendations allow up to about 3tbsps, I believe. But here's the thing, when you first start to take it, work your way up. Taking too much at one time can have negative effects...at least on many people. So just build it in to your diet slowly and you'll be fine.

I also agree that supplements will be key for you, so definitely check out the recommendations on those and start adding them in.

While I always promote "real food" over anything else, I do understand that sometimes we need alternate options. Just do what you can to keep the balance and to keep the quality of the food you consume high and the balance of the food you consume in line with PP guidelines. You'll be amazed and how much benefit you'll get and the flexibility is wonderful.

Also, feel free to stop by my journal anytime. I have created lots of ways to create "fast food" in my house...pre-cooking and reheating bacon, hardboiling eggs, etc. I'd be happy to share whatever tips I can to help you balance your busy life with you munchkin (love that name!).
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 11:15

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

I have been using coconut oil for a couple of months now, mostly in coffee w/stevia and a little cream which has a nice coconutty smell and isn't too greasy b/c I mix it with the cream pretty well. I really like the spectrum jar I tried at first, but the stuf I have now (exact same specs, cold pressed virgin coconut oil) is another brand that I don't like quite as much. I would never have thought of diluting it in another more liquid oil though (thanks Larry) which would make it easier to add to cold drinks. I sauteed some chicken in coconut oil for a peanut/coconut milk curry which was awsome, but generally the smell kind of puts me off when I am having regular savory food.
Actually, I am having some strongly flavoured/aroma-ed fruity herbal tea at the moment and I added a tsp of coconut oil and it is barely noticeable....
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 12:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

What about the Atkins Advantage Bar? Has anyone tried them? I used the Atkins Advantage Peanut Butter Granola Bar as a snack in the afternoon about twice a week. It has 17g of protein with only 3g of carbs and no aspartame that I could tell. It is a good snack that relieves my peanut butter carving (I have an obsession with PB) without all of the carbs in regular Peanut Butter.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 14:01
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Kelly, I just mentioned a brand of PB in the PB thread you revived...4 net carbs per serving (that's two full tablespoons of the PB!). I have tended to stay as far away from packaged and processed food as I can, but if you need to have something then the Atkins stuff is probably a good idea. To be honest, I've just taken a big spoon (about a tablespoon size) and scooped out some PB from the jar and walked around with a "PB lollipop" as my snack! LOL
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 14:21

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 196/165/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Hi Bekkers - the only experience I have with a shake so far (besides pre-made Aktins and EAS, which I've only used for "emergency") is one called Champion Nutritional Drink that I found on Netrition. I wanted something that was a good source of protein while being low in carbs but with no aspartame and I hit paydirt because I think this one is tasty too. I use it as an after-workout drink. (Otherwise I don't tend to do shakes, but this is good for a quick and easy protein boost after my weight training.) I don't add fat at that time. I can't speak to the coconut oil approach but I figured I'd at least welcome you here and offer up the one I use.

Oh, I have to tell you...this came in a huge plastic jar "barrel" almost...I had to laugh. But I keep it in a pantry and just scoop out one scoop with 5 oz water and shake vigorously and pop in in my car. Of coruse I got the chocolate. Here is the link...

http://www23.netrition.com/champion...stack_page.html

I'm not doing PP although I'm reading the PPLP but I use this as a meal replacement... I usually use more water or unsweetened almond breeze (8oz per scoop)... I also add coconut oil, peanut butter and heavy cream along with some ice cubes in a blender.. if I just want a chocolate milkshake, I use heavy cream and ice cubes.. I love the taste.. I've had someone describe it as 'nestle' rather than 'hershey' when it comes to the chocolate which I agree with..