Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 11:10
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Vaniqa, Waxing, Laser, Shaving, Electrolysis...

For those of you who suffer with excess facial hair, what method do you find to be most effective and what is your experience with the different methods?

I used to wax and it worked beautifully but it just took up too much of my time. I would have to wax and then tweeze any hairs I missed and it would take up hours per week, not to mention painful.

I switched to shaving which seems to be worse for my hair growth but I just dont have the time to wax. Of course now I have to shave twice a day to deal with this disaster.

The cream hair removers simply do not work for me. I have tried them all. They stink and sometimes burn and I might lose 3 hairs if I am lucky. I leave the stuff on for as long as possible, it just does nothing.

Vaniqa... I just got a bunch of free samples of vaniqa from a dermatologist. I may try using them but from the reports that I read it really isnt that effective and makes the hairs even coarser. It would be nice to not have to shave daily.

There is a Laser center here I think its called SOMA (or something like that) Their prices are fairly cheap for laser. I think its like $250 per session and there are like 6 sessions needed. I also know its pretty painful and I am not sure how well it will work. Also, I am a bit concerned about getting this cheap place to do it. I am wondering if this is an area I should not skimp out in and get a doctor to do it for $600+ per session.

Is there a good method of hair removal that I am missing? How do you guys cope?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 22:25

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

I've tried all of these methods - and still have to shave
Hair removing creams - wildly allergic, blisters and swelling!
Electrolysis - went for months, painful, some scars - ran out of money and patience.
Laser treatment over a 2 year period - yes, painful, even with anaesthetic cream, but along with Dianette, was the best success for me (up to a point). It works most effectively for sallow/dark skinned folk (I'm fair) and the success I had faded as the hair grew back again once off pill.
Vaniqa - most recent attempt - persisted for weeks, despite skin eruptions (itchy and painful) and no appreciable difference until I took a MEGA allergic reaction and ended up at an important job interview looking like a victim of domestic violence (and/or leprosy).
Back to the Mach 3 and the shaving foam ........
Babs
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 22:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Do you suppose Vaniga is an anagram?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 07:15

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Ha Ha, Nancy - but the 'g' is actually a 'q'!
Babs
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 11:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! Ok! Got it now.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 05:55

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 306/271/145 Female 66 inches
BF:Do I have to?????
Progress: 22%
Default UGH I hate the hair

UGH~ I hate the idea that every morning I have to wake up and stare at the bathroom mirror to find all my new facial hair growth from the day before. I tweeze my chin hair and and I seem to really get course hair on the sides of my "Mustache" the worst part is that my facial hair is BLACK! I have tried waxing only to be disappointed when two days later the hair is growing back. Before I was diagnosed with PCOS, I used to think that if I was a man I would be one of those men that have hair on thier backs...a big hairy monster.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 18:40

Plan: Moderate low-carb
Stats: 186/140/135 Female 5"5
BF:OnebigAB
Progress: 90%

Some lasers are superior to others. And here is the good news, I guess the new lasers are better at treating large areas and therefore cheaper. A woman in my area offers Gentlelase treatments on the stache for only 125 bucks per session!! GentleLase is supposed to be the best on the market now, but I heard there are going to be more effective lasers that cover larger areas in a shorter span of time, so the market does look promising. I want to get it done soon, but financially, I'm pretty broke. However, the people I know who have done the GentleLase have only told me good things. But this goes without saying, if your hormones are out of control and your IR isn't being treated well, then hair regrowth is likely to occur.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 21:09
Registered Member

Plan: The GI Diet
Stats: 297/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Like all of you, I've tried many of these methods. Including 7 laser treatments over the course of 3 years. It would work for awhile, but I always ended up back with the razor.

The best method I've found? Shaving in the shower after your pores are opened from the hot water, and heating the shave gel/foam with the water so it doesn't shock my skin.

I find I don't have to shave everyday using this method.

I'll be interested if anyone else has other suggestions.

Andrea
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-06, 09:18

Plan: Complex carbs
Stats: 263/226/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 33%

I use an epilator. I shaved for years, creams blistered me up too, went to get waxing done at a salon and they couldn't even get one hair out they were so thick and tough.

So, I bought an epilator. Yes, it hurts at first but you get used to it - the biggest thing for me is that I don't get a 5 o clock shadow anymore! It can miss a few hairs, really short ones, but I tweeze them. You might get a few spots at first too but that eases. The hair has definitely started growing slower and it is patchy now. When I shaved I woke up with a full growth, now I wake up with a couple of hairs.

HH
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-06, 09:27

Plan: complex carbs
Stats: 190/144/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 92%

I shaves my facial hair off.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 10:24
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I shaved for about a year and I couldnt stand the growth. I am back to wax/tweeze for me. It might take me a few hours every week or so with a little bit of touchup during the week but the hair is softer when it grows back and the stubble isnt the same and over time I honestly believe it decreases the amount of hair.

I tried getting waxed at the salon too and their wax didnt work. The lady kept trying over and over and over again and nothing. The only wax that will work is the sally Hansen's cold wax. The clear strips in the purple box for eyebrows, face and bikini. If its the first time you are trying to wax after shaving for an extended period of time and/or have very coarse stubborn hairs like me it will probably take the entire box the first time you start waxing. Technique is also very important. Stretching the skin and applying the wax when the hairs are upright to get the best grasp and then pushing down and smoothing, then pulling the skin taut and ripping it off. If the technique isnt done correctly or if there is makeup or oil or water on your face it will not be effective and no hairs will come out. I have good pulls and bad pulls. A good pull will get like 20-30 hairs and I look at it and say wow and it feels so good. A bad pull wil get 0-3 hairs. The technique takes time to master. I cut the big strips in half and use them on my face too. I find the force isnt enough to get good pulls if you leave them at their full length.

The upside is that you only have to spend a few hours a week waxing, no shadows, no real stubble, no more razor bumps, softer and fewer hairs over time.

The downside is that those few hours are usually all in one session and it can get frustrating, expensive, sometimes painful and in the end you still have to tweeze a few hairs. Doing it yourself can also sometimes be a little difficult. It can take months or longer before you finally master a technique that will work for you and sometimes you need to be diligent. Must let the hairs grow to a certain length before you can wax them.

Here is a link to the wax I use on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...lance&n=3760901 I buy it at the local store and each pack has a $1 off coupon so you save money on all future packs.

It looks like some people on the reviews said they get breakouts. I never have. I get a little redness for a few hours but nothing unusual. You can also use tendskin after to prevent breakouts if you are prone to them.

Last edited by MyJourney : Fri, May-05-06 at 10:29.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 13:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/238.5/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Boy am I glad I'm not alone...but really I wish I were. This is something I would never wish on anybody. I've tried everything except laser...I'm AA and have been turned down several times for the laser. Right now I use the epilator, vaniqua and Spironolactone. I'm on Metformin also to help with the hair/PCOS. Nothing works for me and because I'm AA I have problems with ingrown hairs which leave terrible bumps...if I could cut the skin off (deep enough to hit the hair roots) I would.

Frustrating, very very frustrating.

G
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 10:26

Stats: 280/275/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Hair removal for us PCOS types

Facial hair is such a pain! I've done most of the things you mentioned in your e-mail, with the exception of waxing. My Mom used to wax and it looked so painful I told myself the razor was good enough.

The depilatories, like Nair, only broke out my skin, plucking is way too slow, painful, and I've got too much hair for it. Spent all my babysitting money in high school on electrolysis, and it didn't turn out to be permanent for me. Now, in my 50's, I'm trying laser treatment. I've only had 2 so far, so I don't know if it will work out to be permanent. For the cost, it had better be! Started with Sona, but they closed their St. Louis office after my first treatment without notifying any clients, offering to refund the pre-paid programs, or anything. Be CAREFUL about doing an expensive pre-paid program--find out up front what would happen if they close their local office, go out of business or go bankrupt. You can lose a lot of money! Luckily for me, the spa that took over Sona's location is continuing the laser treatments for Sona's former customers, which will give them as much good will with customers as Sona now has bad will.

I've got 3 more treatments to go with the laser, and I'll let you know how it works out. Some people don't find it very painful but my skin is extremely sensitive and it hurts. The treatments are quite short, however, so I don't think it's worth using any kind of local anaesthetic lotion for it.

Bottom line--PCOS is a pain, but we could have worse conditions, and life is worth living regardless. I'm just starting the low-carb approach to my diet and I'm really hoping it works for me. The 40+ year weight battle has been the worst part of it.

Cheers,
Orsemus
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-06, 23:17

Plan: Bernstein, M&E
Stats: 179/163.3/118 Female 5'4'
BF:2darnmuch
Progress: 26%

Please let us know about the laser and thanks for the advice about the prepaid. I had electrolysis but most of it grew back. I shave. It is a pain. I am not sure how laser will work for me because my facial hair is blonde. I also tried Vaniqua and I got lots of follicular bumps.

I am just glad that there is support now for this condition. I am almost 60 and for years I felt so alone.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-12-06, 08:03

Stats: 280/275/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi, Mirielle,

I'm about halfway through the laser treatments and am noticing the hair growing sparser. I understand it works best on people with fair skin and dark hair. The white whiskers (I'm not young!) might not take the treatment well, so maybe I'll be left with a snow-white mustache and chin whiskers. Lovely--somehow I don't think the term "Silver Fox" will apply. Guys have it so easy!

I relate to your comment about being glad there is some support for PCOS now and feeling all alone prior to discovering other PCOS folks. Same here! I'll look into CALP since you favor it. I have trouble with induction on Atkins but believe firmly that keeping the insulin low is the key to a number of my health issues. I've got that in my brain now..."just" have to translate it to consistent behavior. Cheers.

Orsemus