Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 17:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 356/233/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Argh! My mother has been staying with me for 2 wks!

Hello All,

I have been recovering from surgery and I have a two year old, so I *paid* my mother to come stay with me for two weeks to help me out. She is an extremely negative person, bags on Atkins, and then when I sent her to the store the other day to get garbage bags, she brought home *2* half gallons of Dreyer's Ice Cream. What the...?!!! She knows I'm a sugar addict, obviously fat, and am trying to lose weight. Gee, I think I'll go hand a local heroin addict a baggie of dope! Anyway, I have not touched any of the ice cream, and it's been two days since she brought it here. So today I'm sitting at the kitchen table listening to her morose ramblings about her life, and she says to me "You know, I've really had no trouble keeping up with your diet (she hasn't been doing Atkins, she just takes my egg salad and puts it between two pieces of bread), but I really need my chocolate fix. Would you mind if I had some ice cream?" She then proceeds to scoop herself a big ol' bowl of premium triple chocolate ice cream and eat it right in front of me while b*&$#ing about her life ad nauseum. It is no wonder I have issues. I'm tellin' ya, I think most of people's issues in life can be traced back to their parents. As I write this, I'm laughing to myself because it's so ridiculous it's humorous. Thank God she is going home tomorrow. Thank you God!!! And thanks to anyone who is reading my rant. Have a great weekend!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 17:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Make sure to send her home with the ice cream! If she won't take it, I'd suggest Freecycling it or giving it to a neighbor.

Gah! It's not like you even NEED sugar to have chocolate! I made myself some delicious stevia-sweetened hot cocoa when I had PMS last week.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 13:00

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

Yah, moms, gotta love 'em. My mom keeps telling me how I NEED bread, and some sugar to stay healthy. This is coming from someone who my entire life told me to drink all of my WHOLE milk, and clean my plate or I couldn't leave the table, then tell me I was getting chubby and would NEVER get a husband if I wasn't careful. Nice right??
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 15:46
Registered Member

Plan: Less than 10g carbs/day
Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

My entire family is like that. They're all really overweight and refuse to eat anything but a "balanced" meal, claiming it's only healthy (like a tiny bit of meat, ton of rice or bread, and vegetables) It's sickening and maddening at the same time! And they're always giving me this "a little bit won't hurt" thing. I get so angry at their ignorance sometimes that I almost freak out. What I really can't stand is when my obese (she doesn't even try to lose weight) mother sits on the couch munching popcorn. (right now she's hoarking down lasagune) What a cow! (I don't mean that she's obese, I have nothing against overweight people, I mean that she eats like a cow, and she chews like one too.) I have no problem with overweight people who are on low carb and trying to lose, I just can't stand ignorant cow-like people dissing my lifestyle when I'm the one who's healthy and they can't even walk up stairs without sweating!

GAHHHH!!! THE STUPIDITY OF FAMILY MEMBERS!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 18:16
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppuffy3859
Hello All,

I have been recovering from surgery and I have a two year old, so I *paid* my mother to come stay with me for two weeks to help me out.
I think I'd somehow manage to experience a sudden, miraculous healing, and send mom home!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 08:24
Registered Member

Stats: 295/281/135 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:sure is
Progress: 9%

Keep strong; you don't need the ice-cream. I think someone mentioned that you could always give it to a neighbour when she's gone.

Your Mum sounds a bit like mine: "Your diet isn't going to influence the treats that *I* am entitled to!" I grew up in a house with candies, cookies, and "no, don't touch those, I baked them for your father". My parents gave up too soon on teaching my brother and I about veggies and how they taste when prepared in different ways.

So keep at it. I now regularly avoid the junk food my SO brings home. He's learned that if he wants potato chips, he should get the flavoured stuff that I hate
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 12:48

Stats: 356/233/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixEav
My entire family is like that. They're all really overweight and refuse to eat anything but a "balanced" meal, claiming it's only healthy (like a tiny bit of meat, ton of rice or bread, and vegetables) It's sickening and maddening at the same time! And they're always giving me this "a little bit won't hurt" thing. I get so angry at their ignorance sometimes that I almost freak out. What I really can't stand is when my obese (she doesn't even try to lose weight) mother sits on the couch munching popcorn. (right now she's hoarking down lasagune) What a cow! (I don't mean that she's obese, I have nothing against overweight people, I mean that she eats like a cow, and she chews like one too.) I have no problem with overweight people who are on low carb and trying to lose, I just can't stand ignorant cow-like people dissing my lifestyle when I'm the one who's healthy and they can't even walk up stairs without sweating!

GAHHHH!!! THE STUPIDITY OF FAMILY MEMBERS!

LMAO!! Thanks y'all for your support. What is it with the moms? I guess it's just a gap in their knowledge and their indoctrination with the lowfat way. I am so glad to say she's gone home now, and the ice cream is gone! Have a great one everybody