Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-12, 05:02
Registered Member

Plan: Low-carb/Low-calorie
Stats: 315/158/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default managing stress and LC in college!

Its my senior year! I will have been in college for 6 years by the time I graduate because I had to take part-time classes to start. My son was 2 when I started and it was hard to work a schedule around with my ex for babysitting.

Now I'm graduating. And I'm freaking out! I've got so much more to do in terms of my major requirements over the next two semesters, AND I'm studying for the regular GRE that I have to take in October AND I'm studying for the Psychology GRE that I have to take in November AND I'm trying to get into a doctorate program with little to no work/research experience (I'm told it can be done!), AND I just found out that, despite all my hard work, I'm going to be ONE institutional credit short of graduating magna cum laude, since my college requires that I have taken 64 credits with them to graduate with honors (I was a transfer).

Can I just go crawl in a hole and die now? lol

I'm really hoping that I can manage the stress this semester. I know that next semester will probably be less stressful since my GRE's and grad school apps will be out of the way.

And here's my downfall: the all-you-can-eat for $6 cafeteria on campus. The food is awesome. I could sit there all day studying and refilling my plate with delicious high carb fare. I HAVE to stay away from there!! But last year there were just some days when I was so stressed and nothing would soothe me other than a huge oreo milkshake and a plate of everything in the cafeteria.

HELP!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-12, 05:18

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

College is a time many people put on weight and with the workload etc. you have I can quite imagine how hard it is to resist those cheap comfort foods.

It would be worth trying though, because you'll probably feel better about everything if you do. And once you are through, you'll be in a better place.

I find resisting carbs (except in vegetables and the hidden ones in cheese etc. which I can't really be bothered to track down) relatively easy now I've started. Why not go to the grocery store, prepare a few brown bags and sit out on the grass or something to eat lunch. And take a thermos of something hot and soothing - coffee with cream is OK, I believe.

If you think college is bad for resisting food, wait till you get into the office (if ever - hopefully you won't have a routine type job at least)! In my office people bring in food all the time - birthdays, returning from vacation, you name it. The only way for me to deal with it is not to touch it - mostly. No one really notices and no one cares.

If you have a good protein breakfast - I presume you're trying to low carb as you're here - you probably won't feel so hungry anyway.
Good luck and congrats on everything you've achieved so far.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: JUDDD/Low-Carb/IF
Stats: 160/140/120 Female 5'3"
BF:32%/22%/15%
Progress: 50%

Sujaya... First of all, I just want to acknowledge that I am responding to your post when I should be doing PILES of readings and research for papers... but I really felt drawn to this post because I can completely sympathize.

Stay away from Cafeteria food. Cafeterias, like most buffets, are filled with cheap, cheap ingredients. So terrible white starches, those terrible vegetable oils, sugars, corn starch, preservatives, soooo much sodium, flour... just don't do that to your body. Your body is already under so much stress as it is, so untop of all of the sleep deprivation and caffeine over-dosing, DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND KEEP AWAY FROM THE CAFETERIA. Fill up on the good stuff... and this is totally doable on a tight schedule and a tight budget.

This site has helped me while budgeting: http://www.poormansatkins.com/

Also, if you're having trouble stress and feeling the physiological effects from it... I recommend lowering the fat intact, if you are on high-fat low carb, and upping the lean proteins. I only say this because too much fat alongside of high cortisol levels will only make those stress symptoms worse.

Just focus on feeling up on the good things. Don't binge! If you're like me and need to munch or drink something while under stress and focusing... then drink hot herbal teas or black coffee. It kills any sort of appetite and I find it very calming.

More importantly, focus on your workload right now. Focus on getting those A's and B's! It is hard to fit in food planning, grocery shopping and exercise during these times... But you can still do all that you can to prevent gains.

<3

I tell you all of this because I have been there and am currently there as we speak. It sucks. BUT WE CAN DO THIS!