Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 23:32
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Tasty Bread Roll/Buns (grain-free and dairy-free!)

Just wanted to share with you all these all natural paleo-friendly, grain-free bread rolls I've been eating every morning, toasted, with PB! They're wonderfully soft, fragrant, moist, and crusty. Hope you enjoy!

Photos and comments can be found here, at my blog!

Healthy Low Carb, Gluten-Free Bread by HealthyIndulgencesBlog, on Flickr

Healthy Bread Rolls (Gluten- and Grain-Free)

Makes 6 rolls in a muffin top pan

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sifted coconut flour
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons ground sunflower seeds
1/4 cup golden flax seed meal
1/8 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/16 teaspoon pure stevia powder
1 1/8 teaspoon Active Dry yeast (half of a packet)
4 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter OR 6 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons of oil (I use half EVOO, half EVCO)
1 1/2 teaspoons honey (the sugar will be eaten by the yeast)
1/2 cup warm water**

**Add 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon extra water if you are using oil instead of butter

Preparation:
Grind sunflower seeds and whole flax seeds (if you did not buy flaxseed meal) into a fine meal with a coffee grinder, Magic Bullet blender, or food processor. Line the 6 wells of a muffin top pan with parchment paper rounds (just eyeball it and cut out circles with a scissors, or trace circle shapes on to your paper before cutting). Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Sift coconut flour into a bowl, gently spoon it into your measuring cups, and level with a knife. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, sunflower seed meal, flaxseed meal, sea salt, xanthan gum, stevia, and baking powder.

Warm 1/2 cup warm water in the microwave for 8 seconds to heat it. Drop yeast into it. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter or oil, and honey. Whisk yeast water into egg mixture. Use hand mixer to beat the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Continue to beat the batter for one minute to smooth out lumps and give the dough a light and airy quality.

Spoon out the sticky dough into muffin top pan wells. Shape the dough into rounds and smooth the tops with wet fingertips. Don't press the dough flat - just round out the tops to give the rolls a more pleasing appearance. Dip your fingers into water as necessary before smoothing the tops of each roll. Bake rolls for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove rolls from the oven, and wait a minute or two before gently prying them out of the pan and setting them on a cooling rack lined with a paper towel. Let rolls cool for a half hour or so (I know, I know, it's tough!). Slice one in half. Add a healthy dollop of butter, or leave it plain. Eat.

Store rolls in plasticware containers lined with paper towels. Refrigerate after 24 hours. Reheat in the microwave for a few seconds, or toast, for the best taste and texture.

-5.2 grams net carbohydrates per roll (not counting 1 teaspoon of the honey, since the yeast consumes most or all of the sugar**)
-294 calories per roll**

**If anyone has an exact formula for the grams of sugar consumed per teaspoon of yeast added, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 03:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

These look extraordinary! Putting them on my list.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 08:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh! I saw those pop up in my RSS yesterday. I have to try them!

Oh yes, I also wanted to say that almond flour/meal can be inexpensive. They've got it at Trader Joe's for 3.69 a pound. I think they probably use broken almonds to make it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 09:07

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Wow - they look yummy. Thanks for posting the recipe.

I appreciate that it is nut-free.

Last edited by lizzyLC : Sun, Jul-03-11 at 09:13.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 10:15
LCing for health!

BF:

Thanks, Werebear!

Nancy, do you meant that the TJ's flour has the skins in it? Does that affect the taste at all? Wish there was a TJ's near us!

Lizzy, I hope you get the chance to try it.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 10:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

looks great! i will def have to try, thanks for sharing!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 16:09

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Now I have to go buy xanthan gum. I've passed on MANY a recipe because I didn't want to have to buy it....but I can't resist this one.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 17:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
Now I have to go buy xanthan gum. I've passed on MANY a recipe because I didn't want to have to buy it....but I can't resist this one.

LOL! Me, too.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 18:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstudent
Thanks, Werebear!

Nancy, do you meant that the TJ's flour has the skins in it? Does that affect the taste at all? Wish there was a TJ's near us!

Lizzy, I hope you get the chance to try it.

Yeah, there's a little skin in it, but it doesn't seem like a lot.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-11, 17:15
LCing for health!

BF:

I'm going to test the recipe once more with 5 tablespoons of butter, and see if that's even better than the 6 tablespoons of butter.

Last edited by lcstudent : Thu, Jul-07-11 at 17:25.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-11, 22:13
Registered Member

Plan: IF/Atkins/Anchell
Stats: 225/225/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Would it be more helpful to let these proof because of the yeast? I have been trying every yeast recipe I can to find that light yeasty type roll for burgers but all I have tried have come out really dry, almost cornbready.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 08:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/140/130 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 67%

Those look amazing. I want one now!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-12, 21:14

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I tried this tonight -- great flavor. Mine didn't come out like the photo though. Mine are deeply cracked so they can't be sliced in half crosswise. I think the dough was too dry. I think I need to reduce the amount of coconut flour, which eats up moisture. I even added an extra tablespoon of water to the dough.

Oh -- I just noticed another difference. I followed the recipe off Lauren's blog which calls for 5 tablespoons of butter; the recipe here calls for 8. I still think my problem was too much coconut flour, though.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 19:53

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I read through the comments section on Lauren's blog and found that the sunflower seeds (raw) are supposed to be ground before measuring. That wasn't clear to me and it makes a big difference in the measurement.

I threw out the first batch and tried again. This time I also got out a sieve and actually sifted the coconut flour into the measuring cups. That made a big difference in the measurement too -- the first time I just kind of loosely shook it off a spoon into the measuring cups.

I let the eggs come to room temp for six hours this time rather than just 30 minutes.

I omitted the honey and stevia this time, and replaced them with 1/2 teaspoon of real sugar to better suit my own tastes and to give the yeast something to feed on.

Lastly, I used 6 tablespoons of butter this time since the blog says 5 T and the recipe here says 8T.

With these changes my results were perfect. These are really, really good.

I think Lauren's on to something by combining several types of flours: coconut, sunflower and flax. They all have shortcomings and by combining them you minimize the particular shortcomings of any particular one.