Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 19:33

Plan: bfl
Stats: 180/185/150
BF:
Progress: -17%
Default I know I know...don't give up

But I haven't seen the scale move in about 3 weeks. I know this is not the only means of measuring progress, but it sure is a good feeling when that nasty scale goes down. I am not saying I am stalling, because I have noticed that my pants are fitting a little looser. I still don't get how one can lose inches and not weight. Where do the inches go?

Regardless, I feel pretty good, my acne has cleared up, appetite decreased, and I am drinking so much water I feel like a fish (at least 80 oz a day). I am in small to moderate ketosis, depending on my water intake, have cut out AS almost entirely, and stopped eating those lo-carb bars all the time. I think I am doing thigs right, but I just want to see that scale go down a bit, that would make me happy.

The last time I was into this WOE I lost fairly rapidly, maybe thats the problem. Maybe I need to work out more, although I walk A LOT on my job and use those exercise rubber band things in the evening (talk about a lazy way to work out, it's a breeze and you still get a good workout).

Thanks for reading this, if you made it this far TTYL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 20:06

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

sounds like you know all the things to say to yourself, which is great! Just keep saying them. I find the more I post the same answers to the newbies on the board, the more I convince myself, too, so repetition must count for something. And good for you for dumping the bars. As a number of people have noticed, each time we go off and back on LC, the loss is slower. I assume one day, if we continue to yo-yo, LC won't work at all.

The fat goes first, and that's why the inches go. The emptying fat cells fill up with water for awhile, then the water goes often all at once--"the whoosh."

Yeah, stalls stink. They're awful. Who can argue with that? And ignoring them is harder than ignoring a buffet table full of carbs! To steal from Dorothy Parker, tho, "The scale should not be tossed aside lightly. It should be heaved with great force."
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 05:21

Plan: bfl
Stats: 180/185/150
BF:
Progress: -17%
Default the whoosh

so exactly when does this magical "whoosh" happen, LOL! *waits expectantly* At least I have something to look forward to now

Anyway, thanks for the inches information, everyone here is very helpful and supportive all the time. I am really glad I am here in this forum this time around, it might give me the extra "ooomph" I need to stick with it this time
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/196/135
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Don't give up

It's too easy to say this is not working and go back to the worlds carb lifestyle, This is a way of eating...it will be what you make of it.

I look forward to me water everyday and not to my scale....I weigh myself 1 time a week, so maybe you should relax with the scale.

First will be inches, then weight....It's great your doing everything right, and keep doing everything right.

Your acne was cleared and thats Great....Keep your chin up...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 07:59

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default I'm a turtle too!

I've just started reading some of the Turtle Club posts! I guess I fit in! lol... But I'm accepting it much better than I did before. And I keep sticking with it because I know if I go back to carbs, I will just gain weight and I don't want to bounce back and forth with the LC because then it won't work at all for me and I'm too disciplined for that and I would put myself into a guilt trip!

I do want to share some of the health benefits I've been enjoying. I started Atkins January 26th of this year. I have hip problems and had torquing of the hip along with bursitis. The torquing is much better after chiropractic therapy, but I was still having the bursitis pain and I didn't want the cortizone shots. After 5 days on Atkins, the pain stopped! I very rarely feel it now. My chiropractor couldn't believe it when I told him a couple of weeks later, but he has encouraged me to keep it up.

Also, after a week or so, my complexion started to clear up and has remained much better than I ever remember it. I had suffered for years with a pain that 2 different gynecologists and a sonogram could not figure out. I would get pain in my lower abdomen(ovary)area and ended up having to drink witch hazel tea every day to keep the pain away. I stopped drinking the tea after I started Atkins and the pain has been gone ever since!

And, I also sleep better as a general rule. I still have nights where I wake up and can't get right back to sleep, but that is rare. Most nights I sleep pretty soundly.

So, I know LC is the way to go even if the weight loss is slow. My hubby keeps complaining about his knee aching and I keep telling him to try LC and it will ease up. So far, he hasn't taken me up on it, but maybe one day he'll realize I'm right!