Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 07:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default This, That, and PP Chat for Dec 07!

I was wondering why everybody was so quiet lately, when I realized it as the NOVEMBER chat I was subscribed to. Surely, you were all busy chatting away on the December thread without me. So I come to look for the December thread- and there isn't one! And it's the 9th already!

So, here we are. Hanukkah is already here, and other late December holidays (Christmas, Yule, Kwanzaa, New Year's) are fast approaching. I guess we're all too busy to come online?

Anyway, I want to share a funny thing my 6yo said to me last night:

"Tuesday plus Tuesday equals Foursday."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 11:38

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
Anyway, I want to share a funny thing my 6yo said to me last night:

"Tuesday plus Tuesday equals Foursday."
LOL! Thanks for sharing, Ruth. Young children have such an interesting view of life. Sometimes it is sad that the world has to take that away from them as the grow up.

Yes, I am so busy I am not sure which way is up.

Glad you started a new thread, hope others will feel OK about doing it also if there has not been one started yet.

Wonder how our "mother to be" is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
Lucky you on the fresh eggs, Larry. Were they hard to peel? You sound like a lovely neighbor.
Geeeee, Thanks. Wish I could have replied sooner but just was very busy. I still have not found a easy way - meaning quick - way to peel them. One thing that I have found that helps get started is to crack the shell all around by gently hitting it on something hard, then start at the big end where the air sack is. You can put your finger in there without hitting the white and then peel from there carefully. I sometimes get impatient and will pull off some of the white, but oh well.

Here is a visual gift for everyone for the coming season. Enjoy!

CindySue , how are you doing in your your new house?

Seasons greetings to the rest, Elle, Cathy, deirdra, Wifezilla, Gala and all the rest that my old foggy memory can't pull back up out of the fog.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 12:37

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

We're busy, but I think just the usual busy. I'm getting ready to bake Christmas cookies ----14 doz.! I'll be wiped out by the end of the day! But I don't plan to eat them.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 12:49

BF:

I have a few general tips for peeling hard boiled eggs- I wonder if they would work on farm fresh eggs as well. First, I put a little vinegar in the water when I cook them, then I rinse them under cold water while they're still hot.

For particularly tricky eggs, I peel at the sink under running water.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 18:10
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi all. Ruth, I'm glad you started this thread. I meant to wish you a Happy Hanukkah. I think of you all often, but just like Larry, I'm so busy I don't know which was is up. Larry, that photo is GORGEOUS btw.

I posted a photo in my gallery from a maternity session this past weekend...went to a friend's studio where we all conspired to try out various lighting and posing. Another photog friend joined us and we all worked together. It was great practice for them and a wonderful gift for me...since I'm always photographing others.

I'm entering my 9th month this week...with a due date of 1/8, I just celebrated my month "count down" (IF he arrives on-time of course). Unfortunately I'm very much NOT ready (not that we ever are) because I'm still dealing with business deadlines...holiday client orders and such, which obviously must come first.

I'll try to be in touch again soon. Oh, and just a bit of advice about hard-boiled eggs...I've read that waiting until they aren't quite so fresh helps out with the peeling. So you might want to consider keeping some in the fridge a bit first.

Take care everyone - I'll check back in soon!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 13:30

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I put a lot of salt in the water when I make hard boiled eggs to help them peel really easy after running them under cold water. They peel easy when they are hot too.

My daugher just had their first baby Dec 2nd - a little girl so now I have have 3 granddaughters! Congrats Lisa on your soon to be born son!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 19:54
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanasun
I put a lot of salt in the water when I make hard boiled eggs to help them peel really easy after running them under cold water. They peel easy when they are hot too.

My daugher just had their first baby Dec 2nd - a little girl so now I have have 3 granddaughters! Congrats Lisa on your soon to be born son!

Great tip about the salt - I'll keep that in mind.

Holly, that's such exciting news about your new grandchild!

I'll keep you all posted on things with me. I don't expect anything to happen anytime soon...you hear all sorts of things about first babies coming late yet everyone wants them to arrive early. I'm doing my best to deal with final-phase struggles and just be patient for him to arrive when the time is right...which is when he says so. LOL That's the last time I let him call the shots until he goes to college. ROFL

Hope everyone is well...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 09:13

BF:

Congrats on the new grandbaby Holly!!

Lisa- I suggest you really try to enjoy the end of your pg. This baby will never be in there again- with all the little wiggles inside you and the beautifully blossomed belly (no way to mistake that for extra fat!)

I know the last few weeks can be really uncomfortable, and you can get impatient to hold that baby in your arms already- but don't rush it. Try to savor every moment if you can.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 10:10

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Still alive and glad to hear everyone is doing well. Lisa - thinking of you and the belly. Hope all goes well in your last few weeks. take it easy!!

As for me...
I'm on the run a lot with work and preparing for Christmas. Meal planning has been a challenge. We always say that you can make low carb choices anywehre, and while that is true, its also more difficult to resist temptation and constantly tell people "no thanks". Right now, I'm tired of explaining myself and my WOE to strangers. My waitress last night seemed a bit troubled by my insistence on not having potatoes with my meal. "The potatoes come with it" she kept saying. [sigh]. "I know, but I won't eat them. Tell the chef to just leave them off and give me the veggies....[repeat]"

My friend Julia thought I lost more weight since I stopped weighing myself in early November, so I checked last week - no weight lost, but get this, I lost another half inch off my waist, hips and thighs. LOL. Good thing my mother arrives here next week since I need to buy new pants.

Its the holiday season and I am giving myself a bit of a break from losing any more weight. I've upped my carbs to more maintenence levels and have been indulging in higher carb veggies (squash, tomatoes, an occasional sweet potato), fruits and some non low carb items like a slice of bread or some crakers (maybe 2 meals a week). Some of this makes me a bit nervous as I've had a tendency to over indulge in the past. I'll likely get back to "clean" living once Mom leaves at the end of the month. I'm also considering tracking carbs for a few weeks to see what maintenence really means by the numbers.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 13:30

BF:

I'm still hanging in here. No lost weight as of 2 days ago, but that could have just been TOM bloating. I'll re-weigh myself next week and see if I've lost anything- I'd inched my way up to higher daily carbs, and I just managed to get my levels down to 30g per day or so (yesterday I netted about 20).

I just had a can of herring for lunch- I'd forgotten how satisfying fish can be! I haven't had it in a while.