Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 02:41

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Great Muffins!

This recipe was posted by LC Sponge last week. I've made it three times since then. Coincidence - my son had just been complaining about the lack of chocolate muffins in this WOE!

CHOCOLATE FLAX SEED MUFFINS
Pre-heat oven 350 F

1 c flax seed meal
1/2 c whey protein powder chocolate flavour
4 tbsp oil
1/4 cup splenda
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp artificial maple extract
1/2 tsp salt
2 oz chopped almonds (optional)
1 c water

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, let stand for 3 minutes.
Spray a 12 muffin pan with non-stick spray. Spoon batter eavenly into muffin tins. Bake 25-30 minutes.

(To make these more chocolatey I added 1 T. of cocoa powder and 1/4 t. of stevia.)

Victoria - thanks so much for sharing this recipe. It is a definite keeper.
Question - Do you find that these stick? I greased the muffins tins really well, but they don't come out clean. I am using muffin papers now.

Sharon - this would be a great one to add to the archives, IMHO.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 03:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Kay, nice to see you back here!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 07:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default recipes

Yes thanks Kay, I've already talked to LC Sponge about the recipe, and she confirmed it's her very own fabulous creation

Today I'm going to get back in tune with the real world...I've been away most of the last three days. I was sure glad to see my own bed last night. Going to try and get some extra things done tonight as I have to work Wednesday night. (Sometimes I not sure where the days go). One good thing though, I have almost all my Christmas shopping finished.

Thanks for the reminder.... Yes, nice to see you around Kay. (I'm still making your bread).
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 11:35

BF:

Thanks, both of you,
I always check in to the forum a couple of times a week, but that gigantic illustration project that I told you about in the summer is only half finished and we're on a deadline, so it's nose to the grindstone!
Sigh.

Sharon, you've done your shopping? I am so impressed! I'm working on it, especially the ones I have to mail.

I've been surviving the last few months on maintenance with a couple of laspses that made me sick enough to wonder why I'd ever stray. Between art school registration, writing lessons, my anniversary, daughter's birthday, my birthday, and more, losing weight was on the backburner, but I'm going to focus on it for the next month. Last year by Christmas, Id gained back what I lost. This year will be different!!!

TTFN!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 12:57
Registered Member

Plan: SMD
Stats: 160/151/135
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default How many?

Is there a carb count for each muffin? I'm gonna get the ingredients today. My health food store loves me!

Thanks,
mg
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 13:49

BF:

The carb count is super low. Victoria said it was approximately 2 per muffin. When I did my nutritional analysis on Mastercook, I got 1.1 per muffin after subtracting fibre, but I know the flaxmeal I use has an almost zero ECC according to the package. If you use the USDA counter, their flaxmeal count is higher.

Whatever . . these muffins are a real carb bargain.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 15:57

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Muffins

What adjectives would you use to describe them?

I want to feed them to my daughter and me.

Are they moist and have a "chocolate" flavor.

Okay, i realize they are not like the bakeries - but
are they truly, truly, truly good?

I want to know before I make the investment in some of the
ingredients.

thanks
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 16:15

BF:

Oh dear.

I have never met any low-carb baking that tasted as good as the original (except cheesecake, which is infinitely better because it's guilt-free.)

These muffins are moist, somewhat grainy. They are not light. They rise, but not a lot- they do not have air holes. Mine stuck in the pan, even though I buttered it well. They hold together better after they are cooled than hot.

I added the cocoa to bring out the chocolate flavour, and the stevia to balance the cocoa, plus make it more like a dessert muffin. You can use any sweetener you have on hand. On the third batch, I used soy milk instead of water and three eggs instead of two and I liked the texture a little better, but of course that raises the carbs slightly.

They taste really good buttered and sprinkled with a little cinnamon-Splenda.

I will be making them every week. They are super-easy to prepare and a nice quick snack to grab when you are in a hurry, or for lunches.

But, they aren't your bakery muffins. If you are still doubtful, my advice is invest in cheesecake instead.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 17:02

BF:

I made these muffins again this morning. I am so happy to have this recipe!!!

I plugged my modifications into Master Cook and discovered that if I make the recipe with the added cocoa, soy milk instead of water and 3 medium eggs, the effective carb count is still only 1.2 g. This is without the almonds.

Such a deal, I tell you!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 18:08

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Glad you're enjoying them!

I have also taken to chopping up 4 dates and adding them, but mind you they WILL add to the carb count - and I don't do that in every batch.

But they remind me of the date-bran muffins mom used to make I take one in my lunch every day. Great coffee break *treat*.

K- oddly enough, they don't stick for me (I use PAM spray in one of those non-stick muffin tins) unless I add the dates - the dates sink to the bottom a bit and cause them to stick a little.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 18:41

BF:

Hi Victoria - Maybe I'll have to invest in some Pam. I haven't used it in several years, ever since I found out that it's legal to cook with butter. However, the muffin papers are working out okay and they are easy to pack for lunches.

My oven element burned out last week so this is the first batch I've actually made with a reliable temperature. The muffins are small, as always, but they are perfectly shaped and very cute. (The ones I made last week looked pretty odd, no doubt because the oven never did get to temperature.)

I love these little guys. And my 18-year-old son grabs one whenever he's searching for a snack, so it's not just me.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 16:22
Registered Member

Stats: 211/175/155 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default flax seed

Great news! I was having a real problem with constipation. I was using ex-lax every week which I know is really bad for you. I started grinding flax seed in the blender and putting it on low card yogurt or with a bit of Atkins shake, warming it up and eating it like cereal. It is great and it works! I hope this little tidbit will help other people with my problem.
DonnaQUOTE=mum's girl]Is there a carb count for each muffin? I'm gonna get the ingredients today. My health food store loves me!

Thanks,
mg[/QUOTE]
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 19:47
Registered Member

Stats: 211/175/155 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Thanks for the great recipe. I do have a question though. I bought a stevia plant. How did you grind the stevia or did you buy it already in the form to be make with a recipe. I love to share the taste of the plant with friends. Thank you again so much. I also use flax as a breakfast cereal and add soy milk and splenda - maybe stieial would work???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
This recipe was posted by LC Sponge last week. I've made it three times since then. Coincidence - my son had just been complaining about the lack of chocolate muffins in this WOE!

CHOCOLATE FLAX SEED MUFFINS
Pre-heat oven 350 F

1 c flax seed meal
1/2 c whey protein powder chocolate flavour
4 tbsp oil
1/4 cup splenda
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp artificial maple extract
1/2 tsp salt
2 oz chopped almonds (optional)
1 c water

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, let stand for 3 minutes.
Spray a 12 muffin pan with non-stick spray. Spoon batter eavenly into muffin tins. Bake 25-30 minutes.

(To make these more chocolatey I added 1 T. of cocoa powder and 1/4 t. of stevia.)

Victoria - thanks so much for sharing this recipe. It is a definite keeper.
Question - Do you find that these stick? I greased the muffins tins really well, but they don't come out clean. I am using muffin papers now.

Sharon - this would be a great one to add to the archives, IMHO.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-04, 08:08

Plan: My own
Stats: 152/150/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 12%

these look good i will have to give them a try
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-04, 14:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm glad you bumped this thread - I just bought some chocolate protein powder that doesn't taste too great as a shake, so I was going to look for a muffin recipe.

I accidentally overbaked the first batch so they were pretty dry, but the second ones were a lot better.

I omitted the maple extract and substituted it with almond extract. Almond extract doesn't smell nutty; it smells... cakey. Buy some and take a whiff. It made these muffins taste really fudgy.

I also whipped up a bit of cream cheese icing for them. Yum!