Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 10:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 191/189/140 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default PP Newbie

Hello, I'm a PP newbie and have been lurking around for a couple of weeks. Any tips or suggestions to get my weight loss started. I am 33 yrs. old, mother of two (8 yr.old boy and 23 mo. girl). I am 5 ft. tall and weigh 191 lbs., and hypothyroid on top of all that. Any suggestions/tips will be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 11:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard!

Here are my tips:

Read PP and/or PPLP. Pick your type of plan. Make the adjustments you need to your current way of eating to put you at 30-40 carbs a day, and at your protien requirements for the day, as evenly spread amongst meals and snacks as possible.

Don't skip meals (unless you have no problems with cravings)

Drink lots of water

Focus on getting in your protein requirements for the day/meal. Don't worry too much if you are short in a particular meal (although I try to make up for some of those meals by supplementing with whey protein).

Enjoy the benefits of good health and don't focus too much on losing a particular amount each week/month/etc.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 19:21

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

What JMK said: Buy and read the book...at least one for now. (personally I like any by the Eades or Atkins)

Commit to stick with the plan 100% for at least the first 2 weeks. Don't eat anything not allowed, eat enough, weigh and measure everything that contains even a bit of carb (enjoy fats and meat, just worry about the carbs).

Avoid, at least for the 2st 2 weeks, artificial sweeteners, processed foods and "low carb" products.....if you must have them, make it a rare occasion, not a daily thing.

Get in here and post and read. Get the support you're going to need and the answers you're going to be looking for.

Be prepared.....the first few days can be tough, but you will get better. Have plenty of things in the house that are "legal" and get rid of as much of the "illegal" stuff as possible.

Oh! And welcome!! Glad to have you here!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 20:28
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Welcome Michelle!

Based on your profile it looks like you're just starting LCing and you've read the Schwarzbien Principle. If that's correct, then the advice from Jen and Cindy is perfect and based on the little I know about SP I think it's completely compatible with PP.

I will add to their advice with:

1) Reading both PP and PPLP is really the best you can do, but if you need to start with just one, then by all means consider PPLP...I happen to think it's a very accessible explanation and gives a lot of good "how" along with the "why"

2) For your stats you should be eating 34g per meal - but I agree that it's not always about getting that exact amount per meal every time. I've found going for an overall daily total and dividing it between meals and snacks the way I like not only ensures enough protein but also that I stay on target. Getting protein for each meal/snack is a good way to think of it.

3) SP has you at 15g carbs per meal - PP is more in that 30-40 range total for the day as mentioned, though you can subtract fiber. If you keep to the lower amount then you'll probably do better with the higher fat (which I enjoy -- Deidra and Larry can speak well to the higher fat approach as can I).

4) Depending on how new you are to this, it would be wise for you drop refined carbs and keep totally clean...like an induction...because you'll get better results. HOWEVER sometimes we need to just take baby steps, so it will work perfectly well for you to drop some bad habits and foods bit by bit (it's the very reason there are different levels of PP - so starting as a hedonist might be your thing). Because more than anything this is a way of eating for life and not just a weight loss program. It took me awhile to get to cage-free eggs and nitrate free bacon and no trans fats (which SP promotes too, right?) but every step I've made in that direction has made a difference in my overall health!

5) Keep a food journal. Fitday is one I like but there are lots of options availble. Being accountable is the best way to not only keep on track but truly understand what you're eating. (Fitday helps me see at a glance my carb intake, less fiber - protein - and fat intake for the day...track my weight...watch my sodium, etc.)

And definitely post and ask questions! We're happy to have you join us!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 13:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I can't give you any more advice than you've already been given above, but I can still say:

Hi! Welcome to the Board!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 14:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 191/189/140 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Thanks for all the great advice!!!

I really appreciate all the great advice! I'm just recovering from pneumonia (last week). So I've been off plan. Tonight is my last night of antibiotics, so tomorrow, going to try to get back on plan.

Thanks again everyone!!!
--Michelle
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 10:53
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Feel better, Michelle. Remember LOTS of fluids. And consider some Greek yogurt (higher in protein, less tang) to combat the antibiotics. But mostly just take care of yourself and eat as well as you can...the great thing about PP is there is always a way to eat at least partially on plan or incorporate some positive element. Take care!