Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-17, 18:16

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Does Ketosis = Fat required

I have been in and out of ketosis several times the last few months while finding my maintenance routine. For no particular reason, yesterday, I wound up having canned tuna with a salad for lunch and frozen pollack with a salad for dinner. I was in ketosis this week, and doing IF, not eating after 6:00pm but yesterday evening I just really wanted to keep eating and could not get satisfied. Thinking about it, I realized I got much less fat from the two fish meals than I have been eating and think that must be related. During weight loss, I had lots of days eating tuna or fish, i.e. low fat, without that reaction, but I was not checking and probably not in ketosis. I'm curious if others have any experience eating low fat while in ketosis. I know fat is satiating, but my question is specific to ketosis.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-17, 18:49

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I wouldn't say it's low fat that's directly taking you out of ketosis, but the potential converse increase in carbs that may be doing it.

This graph comes to mind, from The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living:

Basically once you start to run low on body fat to lose, you need to increase your percentage of dietary fat to compensate. If you just eat a little more of everything instead, the carb creep may be enough to take you out of ketosis again.

I hit my goal about 11 months ago but have put a few pounds back on since then, which I also put down to eating a little more of everything instead of just eating more fat. Never mind, we live and learn.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-17, 19:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
I wouldn't say it's low fat that's directly taking you out of ketosis, but the potential converse increase in carbs that may be doing it.

Basically once you start to run low on body fat to lose, you need to increase your percentage of dietary fat to compensate.

Thanks Grav. In this case, I ate the usual meat and salad meals but switched out the meat for fish. Same carbs and protein, less fat and calories. Could have been the reduced calories as much as the fat, or maybe it was just coincidence. I do think you are right about increasing fat in maintenance. Since I am already at minimal carbs, about 10g net per day, I guess the question is if I increase fat should I decrease protein to avoid a significant increase in calories.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 10:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

You are at a pretty good body weight, low fat fish is pretty low calorie, it's not surprising if that left you hungry. I do find that if say I eat 2000 calories that's higher in protein and lower in fat I'll be hungrier than at a more ketogenic ratio. But hungrier still if I'm just not eating enough.

And I guess that's the answer I'd give, see how much food it takes to satisfy you at some ratio, and then switch it up and see if you're less satisfied with a bit more protein. I could see it going either way, people will argue that protein is satiating, others will argue that low insulin makes for easier satiety, maybe both are true and it's a matter of finding your personal sweet-spot through a bit of experimentation?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 11:36

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

dcc0455 - how are you determining whether you are "in" or "out" of ketosis? I find that because I'm fat adapted and in ketosis most of the time, it takes more to take me "out" of ketosis, and I get back "in" much faster, within a day in most cases unless I go completely off the LCHF reservation. I'm using a blood meter to measure this, so it's fairly accurate. Depending on how you're measuring ketones, you may be there or get back in more quickly than you realize.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 18:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
You are at a pretty good body weight, low fat fish is pretty low calorie, it's not surprising if that left you hungry. I do find that if say I eat 2000 calories that's higher in protein and lower in fat I'll be hungrier than at a more ketogenic ratio. But hungrier still if I'm just not eating enough.

And I guess that's the answer I'd give, see how much food it takes to satisfy you at some ratio, and then switch it up and see if you're less satisfied with a bit more protein. I could see it going either way, people will argue that protein is satiating, others will argue that low insulin makes for easier satiety, maybe both are true and it's a matter of finding your personal sweet-spot through a bit of experimentation?

I had been recording everything I ate, but stopped doing that about a month ago. I may need to resume that until I figure out maintenance.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 18:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
dcc0455 - how are you determining whether you are "in" or "out" of ketosis? I find that because I'm fat adapted and in ketosis most of the time, it takes more to take me "out" of ketosis, and I get back "in" much faster, within a day in most cases unless I go completely off the LCHF reservation. I'm using a blood meter to measure this, so it's fairly accurate. Depending on how you're measuring ketones, you may be there or get back in more quickly than you realize.

During my "record everything" phase, I purchased a MultiSure Glucose and Ketone meter. I also purchased a $30 breathalyzer, which was clearly manufactured for alcohol testing, but is being sold for ketone testing. I also have some SmackFat urine testing strips. I know that sounds completely obsessive, but I was going through an experimenting phase. I did find inconsistencies between them at low readings, but in general, they did correlate. The blood testing is kind of expensive, so I rely on the breath and urine testing, using the blood test only to confirm. I had stopped checking on a regular basis, but do check on occasion. I think that part of my problem is that I may not be truly fat adapted, but rather hovering around the perimeter. I seem to get kicked out really easy. One solution may be to stop experimenting with adding back carbs, and just stick to induction for an extended period to ensure I am fat adapted.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-17, 12:40

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

dcc0455: how well do the ketone results of the MultiSure Glucose and Ketone meter compare to the $30 breathalyzer? Do you have to do some sort of conversion to compare them?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-17, 15:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
dcc0455: how well do the ketone results of the MultiSure Glucose and Ketone meter compare to the $30 breathalyzer? Do you have to do some sort of conversion to compare them?

The MultiSure gives results in mmol/L and the breathalyzer displays in g/l and %BAC. The instructions of the breathalyzer says over .3 g/l is considered ketosis. I have read that an easy way to convert the g/l to mmol/L is to multiply by 10, then divide by 2, or just multiply by 5. I'm not sure how accurate that is but its what I have used. Last week, I took readings using all three methods within 10 minutes. The SmackFat Ketone test strip result was slightly darker than small, so just over 1.5mmol/L. The MultiSure Blood Ketone meter
read 2mmol/L. The breathalyzer had a result of .5g/l or 2.5mmol/L. I have not been checking with all three methods on a regular basis, but those results are typical, at those levels. I have been getting lower readings, with less agreement. For example, I have read a .2g/l on the breathalyzer with a negative stick and .5mmol/L on the MultiSure. My thinking is the breathalyzer may not be as accurate as the blood ketones but it does give you an idea of your ketone level. If it only lasts a few months, it is still way cheaper than checking blood, and still cheaper and more convenient than checking urine, when you consider you can use it as much as you need without any additional expense.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-18, 16:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 124/122/113 Female 62 "
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Wow! that is scientific approach!

dcc0455- your post inspired me to buy JustFitter Ketone test strips from Amazon. My reading is at 1.5 mmol/L. Is that ketosis?
At what time of day do you measure? I have wine at dinner time so I do not want to confuse results.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-18, 16:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna J
dcc0455- your post inspired me to buy JustFitter Ketone test strips from Amazon. My reading is at 1.5 mmol/L. Is that ketosis?
At what time of day do you measure? I have wine at dinner time so I do not want to confuse results.

Joanna J,

Yes, 1.5 mmol/L is ketosis. Many people, myself included, take the position that you can have low, or no readings on the strips and still be in ketosis, but I think it is universally accepted that a 1.5 reading is ketosis. Most people quote an old study which calls nutritional ketosis between .5 and 3 mmol/L.

I had seen several posts / videos saying the best time to check is first thing in the morning, but I almost never show any readings in the morning. I have seen others say the evening is best. My personal experience is I get the strongest reading around 5pm, before eating dinner.

Wine will show breath ketones, but I don't really know how it affects the urine or blood ketones.

Last edited by dcc0455 : Sun, Jan-21-18 at 16:51. Reason: error in ketosis level
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-18, 17:34
Registered Member

BF:

dcc0455 thank you for responding
Do you recommend getting a breathalyzer? I would not take blood test because i hate needles.
I have only lost 1lb so far so i am supper interested in all scientific devises
to help in weight loss.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-18, 18:00

BF:

Quote:
dcc0455 thank you for responding
Do you recommend getting a breathalyzer? I would not take blood test because i hate needles.
I have only lost 1lb so far so i am supper interested in all scientific devises
to help in weight loss.

Joanna J,

After experimenting testing urine, breath and bool\d ketones, I don't think it is that important to test at all during the weight loss stage. I see some value using them as Dr. Atkins prescribed, as you add back different foods and carbs. Having said that, I still test, and I find the cheap breathalyzer is the most convenient. Its a one time purchase, (at least until it stops working) and it just takes a 10 second warm up and 10 second blow to test. I stopped buying the blood ketone strips, and I don;t think you need to use multiple methods, but you can get a breathalyzer cheap, so why not?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 19:18
Registered Member

BF:
Default WEIO Professional Alcohol Detector Brethalyzers Portable Breathalyzer Tester

I have just received my brethalyzer from Amazon. Additional benefit of using it is that you will find out right away if you can drive after having wine.
I wonder if ketosis may be construed as being DUI by the police?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-18, 17:59

BF:

Quote:
I have just received my brethalyzer from Amazon. Additional benefit of using it is that you will find out right away if you can drive after having wine.
I wonder if ketosis may be construed as being DUI by the police?

Joanna J,

I also wondered about that, but after some research, I don't think it is an issue. The cheap breathalyzers can be used to measure ketosis because they mistake the acetone for alcohol, but police use much higher quality equipment that will not register acetone as alcohol. Of course, there is probably some small town or county out there still using equipment from the 70's, which may give a false reading, but I doubt it is something to worry about. Let us know how the breathalyzer works out for you.