Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-26-15, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 201/201/150 Female 5''7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Steph48 wants to do the keto

I have struggled with my weight since puberty, I've done all the diets. I did the life style change to lc and did for several years, maintained, I was also more active. Then I moved back to Florida got a desk job for the first time and it was a grave yard shift, my eating habits changed, and boy did I pack the pounds back on. Now I'm really disgusted with how I look and feel. I need to jump back on t he wagon with both feet. I want a good start, I am usually good for about 2 weeks and then I start to want things I know are not good for me. Any suggestions as to what one I will get faster results. Keto?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-26-15, 17:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Cool

Hi and welcome.

If you've already done this, I'd suggest forgetting about 'fast' and focusing on 'permanent'. It sounds like you need to tackle the barriers that have gotten in your way. Are you still on that midnight shift desk job? What is it about that that made your eating go down the tubes? How can you fix that?

As for wanting stuff that isn't good for us, well, the best way to tackle that is to (a) keep it out of your sight, (b) avoid the "borderline" LC foods that trigger those feelings, and (c) make better food and make sure you have access to plenty of it. Pick a plan, stick to the rules. You list Atkins as your plan - do induction and stick to it to the letter, but go ahead and give yourself permission to eat as much as you need to get over the hump of breaking the addiction again.

Best of luck. Feel free to tell us a bit more about yourself and/or clarify any issues you think might be standing in your way.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-26-15, 17:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Good advice from Kristine, Steph.

I'd add: get yourself a copy of Dr Atkins' 1972 book "Dr Atkins Diet Revolution" (DADR) or his 1992 book "Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution" (DANDR), and read it cover to cover. Then, start at the beginning, and follow it as strictly as you can.

Keep in mind that with any new way of eating, you will get cravings to go back to the old way: our digestive systems are big old spoiled brats, and they LIKE the familiar. It doesn't mean that it's good for us, just that it feels "normal" because it's what we're used to.

Give your new way of eating a good three months of solid, on plan eating, and a whole lot of the cravings will just go away, because your new way will become the normal, ordinary way.

Welcome, and best of luck.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 11:56
Registered Member

BF:

No more midnights, and my job is half desk and half walking and slinging boxes. I know with the amount of fast paced movement and lifting I get in the morning, if I was eating right it would fall off pretty quick. With that said I just haven't had the motivation to do what I need to do, until, I saw the pics from Christmas day, I was mortified that I went from a size 29 waist to now a 36, I was completely disgusted with myself. In my mind, I'm not that big, in reality, I am. And it's time to take back my body. Thank you ladies. I do have a copy of the Adkins revolution, That is the one I had the most success with, I do cut the fatty stuff down more so than the book says I have to.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 12:07

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Don't cut the fat. That is how your body will go into ketosis and begin burning fat off of your body for fuel. Also if you cut the fat you will not shake the urge to eat carbs.
You should be doing nothing more at this point but counting your carbs and then you will see the weight begin falling off of your body.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 12:19
Registered Member

BF:

Okay, I won't. I'm heading to the store to get my food for the week. I know for me I have to have what I need on hand and ready or I won't follow.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 12:21
Registered Member

BF:

When I say cut, it was, eating chicken instead of a bacon burger, but you know the chicken had some kind of cheese on it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 12:27

BF:

Yes that's good to be prepared with everything you will need to eat to be successful on Atkins. As long as you have the right foods there will be no need to think about carbs because you will be well fed.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 12:31

BF:

It's also good to have a few snacks if need for those in between times and this will keep you on track.
I like sugar free jello in the refrigerator section which has about 1g carb. the one on the shelve has 14g carbs......
Pork rinds are 0g carbs-great for one or two crunchy bites.
string cheese is good, check for lowest carbs brand.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 12:34

BF:

Here is a good page with some helpful suggestions
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 19:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Pork rinds, for me, are a great snack, as I can't eat more than two or three at a time, and they are zero carb.

But I agree with Meme: burgers are fine. In fact, I just had one for dinner: 80% lean, with two slices of cheddar on top.

I lost very slowly, after the first whoosh, until I added more fat. It's been much more steady, since then.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 16:55
Registered Member

BF:

So, I started today, 3 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, a bunless burger and some salad for lunch, and my in between snacks were, cheese and beef sticks. Bacon and eggs will be for dinner when I get home.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 18:00

BF:

Yay Stephanie...I wish my Steph would do what you're doing.
You will love this way of eating, it's so satisfying!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-15, 06:52
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you, I love the support you get on here, it's awesome. I do have a question, I remember the leg cramps I used to get when I did this before, any suggestions?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-15, 07:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Yes - salty broth. It's best to make your own or purchase cartons, since the cubes contain corn starch, maltodextrin, and/or other carbs, but I'd still rather have those and take the carb hit than the cramps. Also, next time you're at the store, pick up some NuSalt or NoSalt, whatever it's called. It should be in the baking aisle with other salt. It's made with potassium instead of sodium. Use that on your food, and between that and the broth, you're replacing electrolytes that you're losing. If you see a post by NancyLC, there's a link to the salt thread in her signature.

Taking magnesium will probably help, too. I'd take it at night - it can act as a relaxant and help you sleep.

Drink your water, but just drink to thirst. Don't go overboard.

It's nice bragging rights when people lose 6 lbs in 3 days, but not really worth feeling like crap, IMO.