Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 21:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default LCGP V2 Ruth's Journal

I'm going to start the project tomorrow. This afternoon I debated postponing it until Fri Nov 23rd, cause I don't have my food planned, but tomorrow is regular LC day, that gives me a few more hours. I have a challenge coming up: Thursday I'll be attending a Christmas "tea" at a local church that is quite famous locally (the tea, I mean). All the goodies will be carby, I wouldn't be able to eat them even if I deferred V2 to the next day, so I'll take the plunge.

I'm going to taste-test dry curd cottage cheese with some DaVinci syrup tonight. Can I make it palatable?

TTFN
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 00:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Talking ayup

dearest Ruth, that's what I have for brekkie on Stillmans' days if I haven't finished my prep or I have almost no time.

It's "palatable" though nothing to write home about. It IS better than skipping breakfast.

I'm "whipping up" (ha!) an extra batch of homemade jerky tomorrow, it keeps me alive on just about any day when hunger hits. That baggie is a lifesaver.

I actually have whipped up a batch (yesterday) of modified (Doreen's base recipe) FoTu Faux-CheeseCake, using tofu and the dry curd, with ginger and cinnamon to make it bearable. Hope they freeze cuz that's where they are

YeeeeHaaaaa! Here Goes!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 08:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good luck, Ruth! You're a bigger woman than I, I'm not sure about that dry curd. I bought some a few months ago and it just sat and sat in my fridge It was actually the first thing I've thrown out since starting LCing.

Will be watching your progess

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 11:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Put it in a soup! Chicken stock with diced chicken breast (or not)...beat egg whites with dry curd and swirl it into the soup to form cooked strands. Make it spicy!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 00:25

BF:
Default Week 1 Day 1 Nov 19, Monday Regular LC

Week 1 Day 1 Nov 19, Monday Regular LC

Like Do, I'll just post the food & #s here, the full meal deal will be in my regular journal.

Foods eaten:
B:3 egg omelet, 1 cup spinach 2 oz marble cheddar 1 tbsp bacon drippings 14 oz green tea
L:Tuna salad: 1.5 c romaine, 1 c spinach 1 roma tomatoe, 1/2 c cucumber 1 oz yellow pepper 1 can tuna with spices & 3 tbsp mayo
S:Chocolate Mock Danish
D:8 oz ground beef with homemade taco seasoning (no sugar)
2 oz marble cheddar.

Total: 2139
Fat: 160 1443 68%
Carbs: 22 63 3%
Fiber: 6 0 0%
Protein: 152 608 29%

Weight: scale is dead & mailed to Ontari-ari-ari-o for replacement under warranty. I'm on a temporary reprieve from scale obsession. I'll have to go by measurements, which are the same as when my scale last worked, when I weighed 241. I'll use that as my baseline for this project. I'll publish my measurements at the end of the project, not b4!

Thoughts: Well, I didn't feel great this past weekend, IBS strikes again. TOM arrived today . My back has been sore, I'm tired and achy and there was the new workout today. Whine, snivel & whinge. BUT I am determined to do this project well, no cheating or lapsing permitted! . I am pumped about the new exercises and hope to be working full time in about 2 weeks.

Plans for my 1st ever Stillman:

Thinking outside the box, I'll have some tuna with lemon juice & pepper for brekkie + psyllium. I'll report to y'all how that subs for my usual omelet. I hope it's not a barforama. Morning snack: .5 cup dry curds with 1 oz shot of DaVinci Baileys syrup. Lunch: 8 oz extra lean ground beef with taco seasonings. Dinner: Lemon spice chicken breast + psyllium. Maybe 1 cup romaine. Lots & lots of water too.
* Menu subject to last minute revisions.

Tomorrow I have 2 back-to-back appts after work, I'll be out Wed & Thurs evenings. It's a busy week for me, but maybe I won't have time to miss the dairy, etc.

Doreen, I have a confession: as I typed dry curds for the 1st time, the phrase that ran through my mind was 'dry turds'. Snicker... LCers sure know about that! I believe I need a life!

Time for lala land, Ruthie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 20:59

BF:
Default Week 1 Day 2 Tues Stillman

My 1st ever Stillman and I don't believe that I've eaten enough, although it is 7pm here and there is still time to shovel more in.

I've decided to not eat egg whites, they are on a list of foods cross-related to mugwort/grasses, which I'm very allergic to. Asthma & rhinitis, don't wanna go there. The list is from my allergist. Since I eat lots of eggs on my regular LC program, I don't want to push it by using extra egg whites on Stillman days. The recipes posted in the Stillman thread are inventive and if I need more variety before this project is over, I may just change my mind

So it's been a super lean Stillman day. Check out the numbers! 11% fat!!!

Foods eaten:
B: can of tuna, lightly drained with 1/8th lemon wedge juice, Citrus & Pepper seasoning.
L: 6 oz skinless chicken breast cooked in lemon juice & spices
1/2 cup dry curds with 1oz of DaVinci Irish Cream syrup
D: 11 oz cod, grilled with 1/4 lemon juice and citrus pepper seasoning. 1/2 hr later, 6 oz skinless chicken breast, Lemon & spices.

Planning on another 1/2 cup of curds & syrup later.
My regular journal has my thoughts & further ramblings

Total: 978
Fat: 12 104 11%
Carbs: 19 27 3%
Fiber: 13 0 0%
Protein: 199 796 86% Oops, edited to add in psyllium to the #'s
cals/lb = 4.05

Last edited by Ruth : Thu, Nov-22-01 at 01:07.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 01:04

BF:
Default Week 1 Day 3 Wed Calorie Boost

Foods eaten:

B: 3 egg omelet, 1 cup spinach, 1/2 Hass avocado

Large mug, 14 oz, earl grey green tea at work. I have one every day but forget to include it in my journal 98% of the time

Lunch: tuna salad: 1.5 c romaine, 1 cup spinach, can tuna with 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, juice from 1/8 wedge of lemon, spices. This was so creamy & mmm good after Stillman.

Dinner: 3 broiled lamb chops, 3 cups broccoli with 3 tablespoons butter

Bed time snack: 2 cups spinach with 1 tsp olive oil, apple cider vinegar & 1 tbsp Udo's oil (Udo's is not counted in fitday, it is a supplement)

2 tablespoons psyllium in water with splash of DaVinci sf French Vanilla. About 3.5 litres of water. 3 diet soda. I managed to avoid the Timbits at the meeting I attended tonight. Whew.

Total: 2551
Fat: 206 1857 74%
Carbs: 30 53 2%
Fiber: 17 0 0%
Protein: 149 595 24%

Cals/lb = 10.6

20 g carbs from green leafy veg, 6 from avocado, it's green and without it I'd never get close on the calories. Eggs, mayo & lemon juice account for the balance of carbs.

Thoughts & ramblings are in my regular journal.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 12:40
Registered Member

Default aaaahhhhh.....

Not to be a partypooper (it's my turn, Karen ), my Ruthie, but more mayo and less avocado will get your calories in...

Also, I believe the "supplement" rule only counts if you don't put your Udo's or flaxseed oil or whatever on food (like spinach salad is food...). Ya have to drink it straight up {SHUDDER} like Do does if you don't want it to count... If you make it a custom food in FitDay, with the same cals and grams as any other oil, you'll make your count.

Moi, I'm looking forward to an avocado or three on the weekend!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 17:37

BF:
Default Re: aaaahhhhh.....

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
Not to be a partypooper (it's my turn, Karen ), my Ruthie, but more mayo and less avocado will get your calories in...

What is this, the tough love approach? Are you and Karen going to be a tag team and treat us all with tough love techniques? This mere mortal wants to know what to expect in the next 4 weeks *LMAO*

Jude, you KNOW that I can't sip that Udo's oil, so if I can't have it in a protein shake, I'll put it on salad. And I still consider it a supplement. I certainly don't take it on Stillman days, that would defeat the purpose of stillman. I think it's a silly rule, but I will rethink counting it as an oil on Cal Boost days.

When I get a spare moment, I'll run over to check your study journal.... hehe what will I find there?

TTFN, running out the door to chair a meeting, then run to a Christmas tea.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 20:46

BF:
Default Week 1 Day 4 Thurs Stillman

Busy day & no imagination with my food. I did get some beef jerky made Tues night, that helped me out this evening.

Foods eaten:

B:2 cans tuna with spices and 1/4 wedge lemon juice
14 oz Earl Grey green tea

L: 5 oz lemon chicken, 1/2 cup curds 1 oz DaVinci sf syrup

S: beef jerky diet soda

D: 5 oz lemon chicken, snacked on beef jerky later, total 2 oz jerky

Total: 1129
Fat: 21 193 18%
Carbs: 12 22 2%
Fiber: 6 0 0%
Protein: 214 858 80%
Cals/lb = 4.7

Further comments will be in my regular journal later.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 02:14
Registered Member

Talking Indeed!

Tuff Luv Tag Team, that's it!

and even more indeed, avocado is a FRUIT, discussed in gruesome detail in either Do's journal, methinks? ... somewhere. As are tomatoes and zukes, eh?

I stick to leafy green type things, with the occasional stalk and twig thrown in; cannot go wrong.

DO feel free to pour your oil wherever ya wanna, but count it except when swallowed in capsules or off a spoon or from the neck of the jar... them's the rules and I'm stickin' to it !

Luv ya!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 01:05

BF:
Default Week 1 Day 5 Fri Nov 23 Cal Boost

Calorie boost day, yay!

Foods eaten
B: 3 egg omelet, 1 cup spinach 1 tbsp bacon drippings
earl grey green tea at work
L: 2 cups spinach, can of tuna, spices and 4 tbsps mayo
Snack: 1 oz smoked salmon - a friend at work brought in their home-smoked salmon - delicious
D: 7 oz extra lean ground beef with sf taco seasoning, diet soda
a little later: 5 cups lightly steamed broccoli with 1/4 cup butter

Total: 2606
Fat: 201 1811 71%
Carbs: 30 56 2%
Fiber: 16 0 0%
Protein: 175 700 27%
cals/lb: 10.85

3 carbs from eggs, mayo, 27 carbs from veg!!! and no evil avocado.

Exercise: 2 sets of new strength training exercises

I was hungry this morning, breakfast at 6:45, starving by 11, and was hungry when I got home at 3:30. Too tired to eat, had a 3 hr sleep. I don't dare call 3hrs of sleep a 'nap'. Wasn't too hungry when i woke up.... why is that? My back is sore after the workout. I'm so glad the weekend is here.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 00:26

BF:
Default Week 1 Day 5 Sat Nov 24 Reg LC

Wasn't feeling good today, IBS attacks so didn't eat much but the calories were there because of dairy!

Foods eaten
5 oz marble cheddar cheese
Mock danish, chocolate
5 oz marble cheddar
Mock danish
1/2 cups raw almonds
diet soda

Total: 2098
Fat: 177 1595 76%
Carbs: 32 80 4%
Fiber: 12 0 0%
Protein: 109 436 21%
Cals/lb = 8.74

Exercise: none
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 23:10

BF:
Default Week Day 7 Sun Nov 25 Reg LC

Foods eaten:

B: 3 egg omelet, 1 c spinach 2 oz marble cheddar
D: 12 oz chicken thighs (boneless,skinless) cooked in spicy peanut sauce. Fauxtatoes (Cauliflower, butter, sour cream)
Diet soda
1/2 cups raw almonds

Total: 2021
Fat: 143 1290 65%
Carbs: 46 117 6%
Fiber: 16 0 0%
Protein: 144 577 29%
Cals/lb: 8.42

Almonds had 8.5 gr fiber, cauli had 7 gr fiber, that brings carbs closer to 30; I aim for 20-30 gr carbs. Lots of carbs in the peanut sauce

Exercise: none, except I did get my christmas decorations up all I have left to do is decide on which candle holders to use 'cause I've got lots. Oh, and get tablecloths out, but it's a bit early for that
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 15:26

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default hi ruth

hi, and thank you for your post in my journal. i really was struggling, but i think i'm starting to get the hang of it.
the reason i ate what i did was because i was trying to avoid carbs thinking i could only have 25 and they had to be from green veg. i now understand i can have some trace carbs in eggs (yolk) and other things. also, i was confused about butter. i was thinking it was dairy, hence, forbidden. judi and doreen cleared this up, but it was late in the day, and i really wasn't feeling that great.

i really do appreciate tuff luv, and please, don't ever NOT say something. i'd rather know, than play with out knowing.

thanks again,
brenda