Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 08:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I rather liked cottage cheese mixed with tuna.

Okay, I'm not liking this free meal business much. Maybe I just need to keep the freebie lower carb. I had a slice of whole wheat pizza, LC beer and a buddy bought us a couple of shots. By the time I got home, my feet were swollen around my sandals. I think that has to do with walking around in stiffling heat in not-too-supportive sandals, too, but I don't really need extra water retention from junk food. Hmph.

And I seem to have the opposite problem of you ladies: I ate a big meal, and felt like I could keep on packing food away. Not good.

Weight is steady at 141. I'm going to cautiously keep chugging along. I feel really good.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Jun-25-05 at 09:00.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 09:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My experience is PSMF is very diuretic. I've had this exact same reaction whenever I eat carbs, I can feel my feet swelling in my shoes. I walk in with my shoes practically flopping off my feet. I leave and they're snug. However, by the end of the next day, that swelling is gone. Its more of an annoyance than anything.

Quote:
i just had my first free meal and i feel a little sick. it didnt taste as good as i thought it was going to, and, instead of helping me mentally (as is one of the main points of a free meal) it made me feel guilty, like i cheated.
anyway, i was just wondering what i should expect in the morning. i mean, has everyones weight gone up or stayed the same after a free meal?

Well, there are those times when I have a free meal, don't over-consume and don't feel guilty and sick, and then I have times when I over do it and I feel a little guilty. He says to stay high protein, eat veggies and then have "other stuff" with your free meal. I could probably do a little better in that regard.

Go back and reread about the free meal. He warns you you will gain weight. Its water. You will see it go away in a day or so. My last refeed I gained 5 pounds. It corresponded with my TOM so that was no help. But the next day I had lost 3.5 pounds, the next day, 1 pound. And hopefully tomorrow morning the last .5 of my refeed will be off. Maybe if I'm very good, another .5 will go with it!

If you ate lots of carbs, like one does with a refeed, you will see a sizeable increase in weight. Its water and as your glycogen store gets used up, it goes away, and probably takes a bit of fat with it.

Quote:
I picked up some sugar free strawberry jelly to put in my ff cottage cheese, hopefully that will make it taste better. Don't ever mix it with tuna

The jelly with tuna? I was curious if I might like tuna with CC.

I get those Da Vinci/Torani SF syrups and pour a bit on my CC. Sometimes I just put a few raspberries (frozen) on my CC and stir in a packet of splenda.

I can't believe it but I'm becoming fond of cottage cheese. Yes, even NF cottage cheese!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sat, Jun-25-05 at 09:39.
  #168   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 10:18
Experimenter

BF:

Kristine, I wouldn't call a slice of pizza and a beer a big meal! Alcohol makes me swell big time, at least for a few hours.
  #169   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 10:24
Registered Member

Plan: psmf
Stats: 180/159/129 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

i didnt gain any weight, but i look bloaty and gross. i thought (since the scale didnt register a change) that i was just being paranoid but my clothes dont fit as well either.

and yes, my free meal consisted mainly of oatmeal cookies. i know thats not the best way to do it.

i am excited, though, that things seem to be moving along. two more pounds and i will actually be where my little ticker thing says i am. then its on to numbers i havent seen since high school...(fingers crossed)
  #170   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 10:41

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by admo
i didnt gain any weight, but i look bloaty and gross. i thought (since the scale didnt register a change) that i was just being paranoid but my clothes dont fit as well either.

and yes, my free meal consisted mainly of oatmeal cookies. i know thats not the best way to do it.

i am excited, though, that things seem to be moving along. two more pounds and i will actually be where my little ticker thing says i am. then its on to numbers i havent seen since high school...(fingers crossed)

You ever seen a balloon when it pops? Well, be careful with safety pins and sewing needles......

Good luck with the next few pounds.
  #171   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 10:53
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:

LOL! Yes, I know the feeling of guilt. Can't say it is entirely undeserved... you didn't get your protein and veggies!

Don't worry, you should have seen my first refeed... oy.

Hey, I think I actually did get back down to my low-weight today. I just weighed before I... err... eliminated. I think it was my refeed since there just isn't a whole lot to eliminate the rest of the week.

I'm making a new rule for myself. I can only have ice cream once a week, on my mid-week free meal or refeed. That'll keep me from being too piggy. My Sunday free meal is usually breakfast with my parents.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sat, Jun-25-05 at 11:28.
  #172   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 11:30
Experimenter

BF:

Oh yes, I wanted to mention my new favorite snack. PICKLES! I love them. They're filling and basically free of everything, as long as you get the sugar-free varieties. Probably consumes calories just to digest the danged things.
  #173   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 13:42
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

I imagine regular (aka more tastey) cottage cheese would taste okay with tuna. That fat free cottage cheese I had was very bitter and mixed with bland tuna it really tasted nasty.

I think I am going to be "bad" tomorrow and have potato chips with my fried chicken... I love potato chips, they are really the only thing I've missed while low carb.

Debbie
  #174   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 05:04
Queen of Bouncing

Woot!

Well, yesterday was a "diet day" after my first day with a free meal. As I said above, I gained 1.5 lbs from the free meal. I was pretty good yesterday. I ate my normal breakfast, for lunch I just had half of the leftover steak (plain) and for dinner I had the other half with a big salad. Granted, I was a bit light on veggies yesterday and the steak was a ribeye so it wasn't lean meat... but this morning I weighed 198.5!! I haven't weighed that low since the first of May Tonight is another free meal so I will be up again tomorrow, but then we will see what the week brings. For those that are interested, here are my weights for the first week:

Code:
Mon 6/20/2005 205 Tue 6/21/2005 203 Wed 6/22/2005 201.5 Thu 6/23/2005 200.5 Fri 6/24/2005 199.5 Sat 6/25/2005 201 (day after free meal) Sun 6/26/2005 198.5

I am keeping track of what I'm eating in my Journal.

Debbie
  #175   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 05:11
Queen of Bouncing

Oh, I just wanted to ask those that read in the PSMF forum: Isn't that "optimumacid" kid weird? LoL

Debbie
  #176   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 08:42
Experimenter

BF:

Boy, I'll say! I take it you found his thread where he reveals his anxieties over using a public restroom. Those are great results! Woo Woo! I lost my 5 pounds from the refeed in time for my free meal today. I'm not too happy about my refeed performance. This coming week the refeed will be a free meal instead. We'll see how that goes.
  #177   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 09:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nice results!

Quote:
Isn't that "optimumacid" kid weird?

What a nut job. Over here, we'd probably just ban him, but I find it oddly entertaining to watch people like that get blasted over there.

Some time this week, I'll probably be weaning myself off PSMF and move onto a very clean, Atkins KIS type thing. This is a good temporary butt-kicking, but I'm prone to the starve-vs-binge mentality so this isn't good for me for much longer than a week or two.
  #178   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 12:50

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Congrats ladies, nice job!
As for me, I have lost another lb, so that's 5 lbs in 5 days.
Like you Kristine, I am switching back to the Atkins Induction (what is KIS by the way?), but I have learned one thing this week: I need to keep track of calories... I am relatively new to Atkins and I went overboard with the 'fat is good for you' thing! I did not even check the cals most of the time, just the carbs. But for this 57 yr young, hypothyroid, menopausal lady, this is just too good to be true. So I will increase cals to 1200 approx. and see how it goes. I won't do it all at once though; I plan to up them by 100 a day. Do you think it's a good idea?
  #179   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 13:11
Experimenter

BF:

I think those of us who are hypothyroidally challenged do better on a little higher carbs than Atkins induction and we'll definitely have to count calories. When my HypoT symptoms were their worst, I couldn't even lose on 1200 calories.
  #180   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 15:44
Queen of Bouncing

I'm going to stick for 9 weeks (I'm category 3, 6-12 weeks, I figured I'd split the difference and see where I am). After that I will re-evaluate and see what happens. At the end of the 9 weeks I'm supposed to go on a "diet break" and "eat normally" anyway. For me Atkins is normal. So I will probably do that for the 2 weeks and then decide.

I'm kinda overfull instead of stuffed to busting after this free meal We'll see how far up I go tomorrow. I did eat fried (breaded) chicken and a couple pieces of garlic bread so that is fairly high carbs. Oh yeah, and potato chips

Debbie