Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 05:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Ketogenic Diet on morning TV show.

A very positive segment on a morning TV show about the Ketogenic Diet. A friend excitedly told me "my Diet" was on TV (of course I have been talking about it seven years, but I’m not Kelly This woman lost 120 pounds, the Resources on her website list Why We Get Fat with Dr Westman's Diet, two Phinney&Volek Books, so it appears her Diet was "well-formulated, and the recipes on her website look good. She is in NYC next Weds on book tour. Amusing to compare the reaction from Dr Oz to Gary Taubes six years ago to the reactions this year to the "Ketogenic" Diet.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/suzanne-...lost-120-pounds
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 06:31

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A very positive segment on a morning TV show about the Ketogenic Diet. A friend excitedly told me "my Diet" was on TV (of course I have been talking about it seven years, but I’m not Kelly

Well, if it's as shown on tv it must be true .

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 07:02
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Thanks for posting. That was a lot more positive than when she was on MKT. The dietitian said keto was taxing on the kidneys and liver. https://youtu.be/6ArnYErCSps
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 09:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Joy Bauer, resident nutritionist for Megan Kelly Today, is very defensive, since keto represents the proof that everything she learned about nutrition is wrong.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 10:55
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Joy Bauer, resident nutritionist for Megan Kelly Today, is very defensive, since keto represents the proof that everything she learned about nutrition is wrong.

And she's just plain wrong. LCHF improves liver enzymes and fatty liver. Dr. Sarah has even seen reversal of kidney disease in some of her patients. https://youtu.be/aRAhajcX64M
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 14:29

I thought Suzanne did a great job as a keto spokesperson on Megan Kelly Today. A good response was to ignore Bauer's comments on kidneys and emphasize the positive, her improved tests, her doctor's support, and of course the audience saw her sitting there as living proof of her amazing weight loss and glowing with health. Ended with positive medical results and weight loss so a viewer would tend to discount the whiny RD comments in the middle.

https://www.today.com/video/woman-s...t-1129153091914

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-13-18 at 05:20.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 16:20

BF:

MKT & Suzanne - A real-life version of the Emperor's New Clothes . . . in reverse.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Fri, Jan-12-18 at 16:26.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 17:50

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

It's the egg white generation that will need retraining
and even then ....because after all, those egg yolks will
cause liver failure and who knows what will become of our kidneys!!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Jan-12-18 at 21:26.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 20:46

Plan: lo-carb, atkins
Stats: 202/195/130 Female 5ft. 1 1/2inch.
BF:
Progress: 10%

It is interesting to me that Bauer said there was no research or information on Locarb/Keto diets/way of living and not sustainable. She clearly doesn't know what she is talking about when there is SO much information out there. You've got to ask is it just ignorance or ignoring facts?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 03:59

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I think Bauer said there's no large scale long term studies. That's true, but then again there's no large scale long term studies for any diet. She also said she doesn't know what happens when you tax your organs and really restrict carbs. Well then, she can't possibly give any kind of advice about that, ya? Strangely enough, she explains what ketosis is, when she just said she doesn't know what happens when you really restrict carbs, doh. As far as I'm aware, ketosis has no detrimental effect whatsoever. I mean, she says there is, but doesn't tell us the source. On the other hand, hyperglycemia - when ya eat da carbs, ya - certainly causes detrimental effects on the kidneys and the liver. On the up side, she says keto suppresses appetite and boosts metabolism, "and that's all great". She also says losing weight by any means improves all markers, and that's true, but then the A-TO-Z experiment says keto - i.e. Atkins - just does it better.

About those non-existent large scale long term studies. Even if there was, Bauer couldn't possibly tell us about them, cuz she's not a trained scientist, i.e. she isn't trained to interpret the data objectively, if at all. Also, don't need large scale long term (implied = observational), small scale short term will do just fine (implied = experimental) and we got plenty of those.

I wonder if anybody ever explained to Bauer that when you eat a standard diet, and then you eat less to lose weight, you have no choice but to eat less carbs? She'd be no match for Taubes, methinks.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 12:56

BF:

Methinks she's no match for many on this forum . . .
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-18, 15:20

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
It's the egg white generation that will need retraining
and ....snip...

It is possible to be retrained. I did it. This weekend I had a broccoli cheese omelette, to which extra whites were added (leftover from another recipe). I wasn't in charge and didn't add them, but was immediately tiffed that I would be eating this "unhealthy" food. It suddenly occurred to me that it wasn't like eating bread or sugar, and wasn't really bad for me. I laughed when I realized that 15 years ago I thought the exact opposite.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-18, 15:26

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I think Bauer said there's no large scale long term studies. That's true, but then again there's no large scale long term studies for any diet. She also said she doesn't know what happens when you tax your organs and really restrict carbs. ,.......snip

I've been reading some the keto and cancer books, and it's interesting they they all mention how lucky they are to have this diet previously used for epilepsy, cuz many studies have been done for to test for safety.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-18, 09:30

Franziska Spritzler has written a long form article about Suzanne Ryan's success story.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/losing-1...o-right-mindset