Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 20:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/224/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default subtitutes ???

Can I substitute spenda for icing sugar??Would it be the same eg......1 cup icing sugar =1 cup splenda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 18:18

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

It depends on the recipe - if it's for sweetening purposes only or to sprinkle over something it's fine. If it's in a particular recipe where the other properties of sugar are necessary, then it won't work because texture and browning aren't added with Splenda.
Babs
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 19:51
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

icing sugar is powdered sugar so you will need to place the splenda in a food processor or blender to get to the texture powderedsugar
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 19:59
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

powdered erythritol mixed with a little polyd works well for icing.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 04:15

BF:

The recipe is as follows :
4 cups of icing sugar
1 pkg of cream cheese
4 1 ounce squares of unsweetened bakers chocolate
1 teaspoon of vanilla
dash of salt
1/2 cup of nuts (optional)
soften cream cheese then start adding icing sugar (add gradually) melt choc. on low after the cream cheese icing sugar is mixed add choc. put it in a greased pan and put in fridge for several hours or stick in freezer

You don't cook it at all
could splenda be used for this recipe
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 04:48
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
icing sugar is powdered sugar so you will need to place the splenda in a food processor or blender to get to the texture powderedsugar

if you want to use splenda this suggestion is about as close as your going to get but remember to use the carb count for the pre grinded volume of splenda.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 07:36
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I make a smaller version of this all the time.

I just melt 1/2 square chocolate in the microwave with some butter. Then stir in some softened cream cheese, vanilla, and sweetner for a single serving treat. Splenda has always worked fine for me even without powdering (I do use packets not granual please note). The powdering may just make it a tad smoother, but that would be about only benefit I could see.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 14:30

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

First of all, splenda is formulated to sub 1 for 1 with granulated sugar. Granulated sugar weighs a little less than twice as much as icing sugar for the same amount of volume. With this in mind, you'll want to use about 2 1/2 C. splenda for this recipe.

Secondly, the recipe relies on the textural properties of sugar to create gooeyness/chewiness in the fudge, so texturally, you're going to be looking at a different animal.

Lastly, splenda, by itself, combined with chocolate seems to be problematic for quite a few people. The common complaint is that the final product isn't sweet enough, regardless of the amount of splenda added. This doesn't happen to everyone. I'm also not sure what causes it. My top theory has to do with the quantity of sweetener involved. The bitterness of chocolate requires a substantial amount of additional sweetener as compared to other desserts. Although splenda works wonderfully in small amounts, when you get to the amount required to sweeten chocolate, the aftertaste becomes quite noticeable. For whatever the reason, you might want to be aware of the issue. Using more than one sweetener is a sure fire way of resolving it.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 06:38

BF:

Thank you so much for the information very informative scott123 thanks everyone
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 06:46

BF:
Default what amounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
I make a smaller version of this all the time.

I just melt 1/2 square chocolate in the microwave with some butter. Then stir in some softened cream cheese, vanilla, and sweetner for a single serving treat. Splenda has always worked fine for me even without powdering (I do use packets not granual please note). The powdering may just make it a tad smoother, but that would be about only benefit I could see.

How much cream cheese and how much sweetner??
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 08:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I find it ten times easier to hunt down a recipe that someone else has already hacked than to try to convert. If you go to the Table of Contents post in the Sweet Treats forum and scroll down, there are several frosting recipes.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 13:46
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Quote:
How much cream cheese and how much sweetner??

This may sound bacd, but generally just as much as I feel like at the time. Sweetners I found 3 packets splenda and 2 sweet and low are generally good, I can add more after I taste.

The cream cheese is probably 2-4 oz, way more then I should have. Or a smaller amount with some sour cream mixed in at end.

Generally my cooking like this happens in one of two ways. I will look in fridge and say hmm these sound good together. Or I will spend a long time on the net looking up recipies, most of which sound complicated and time consuming. So I'll then kind of look at what is the basic flavours of the recipie, then try to reproduce it with what I have on hand and =by throwing it in the microwave. Course it's not exactly the same and texture is prob way different, but it can cure a small craving and be made one serving so I don't have left overs to overeat on