Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 17:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/130/110 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default always back to the same number??

-
(cross posted as a /reply/ to another thread ...hoping someone can advise me, here...)

...i don't know if i'm allowed to call it a "stall," but... i can get down a /little/ (like, .5lb or 1lb), BUT it comes right back, so i can't get past the /same number/,

and this has been going on for several weeks, or maybe even a month or longer,

and, as i'm female, regarding water weight... my "time of the month" is about 2 weeks away... (and when that comes, that will make things even more difficult...)

i try different things, from, atkins meals, to eating nothing but tuna, or nothing but bacon, (kind of crazy, but i don't know what else to do!)

i am trying to work my way down to doing an egg fast (just eggs, limited cheese, butter), but last time i did that, i didn't even lose...

yesterday i ate just:

eggs,

w/ "clean" sausage, all recognizable ingredients/just spices),

few tablespoons of shredded cheese,

and a few tablespoons coconut oil -

i repeated JUST THESE COMPONENTS, for each of 3 meals...

today i gained .5 or 1lb...

i don't know if i'm eating too many carbs, i don't know if the cheese or some ingredient in the sausage could be the culprit -

...but i really feel like i need the cheese, OR sausage (at least one or the other), or SOME other component to add to the eggs,

because eating just plain eggs w/ a touch of cheese & butter can be really depressing!

i have been on plan for about 2.5 months... i recently read about post induction stall syndrome, and ...waiting for whooshes, but i don't know if, i am _doing the wrong thing with what i'm eating_

i am getting so discouraged, i'm considering eating something normal - not even going crazy, just one normal meal - to try to "shake things up" for my body??

or - i was considering a cheat day for _valentine's day_ which is a month away, and maybe i should hang in there and see if i still can't lose anything by then? but that feels like a long time, if i don't lose...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 23:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I hesitate to say this but below twenty carbs didn't work well for me when I was at your weight. At that time we didn,t subtract fiber carbs so it was super low carb clean eating. The next round a few years later I at more because fiber was being subtracted from the carb total and the diet then worked well to a point. Looking back threw my journals I always stall out when I go low carb low fat at the same time. For some reason that really puts the break on weight loss for me. It is mentioned in one of the Atkins books as something that doenst work. Its just a natural way of eating for me that I unthinkingly fall back on out of habit. You might want to try eating more veggies for the fiber. If that doesn,t work try imf.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 23:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I hesitate to say this but below twenty carbs didn't work well for me when I was at your weight. At that time we didn,t subtract fiber carbs so it was super low carb clean eating. The next round a few years later I at more because fiber was being subtracted from the carb total and the diet then worked well to a point. Looking back threw my journals I always stall out when I go low carb low fat at the same time. For some reason that really puts the break on weight loss for me. It is mentioned in one of the Atkins books as something that doenst work. Its just a natural way of eating for me that I unthinkingly fall back on out of habit. You might want to try eating more veggies for the fiber. If that doesn,t work try imf.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 03:13
Registered Member

BF:

-
hiiiii

...thank you so much!

although i must mention something important - i did not know how to update my profile, SO the weight i had listed was an ideal weight ..............which i am now very overweight

....i have NOW updated my profile to show a higher weight -

although ...not as high as i actually am, because my real weight is very high and it is embarrassing to me to have my real weight on here,

but with the help of the folks here, slowly but surely maybe that can change
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 03:55

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Good Morning....OMG, you are breaking my heart....I sooo hear the frustration in your post...and that frustration, imo can cause you issues. First remember this is not a race, I know, I know we all want this to happen and happen fast, just ain't gonna be that way...plus this is a learning experience and you need to relax and learn how things change FOR YOU.. One of the hardest things for mt to accept was, WEIGHT GOES DOWN, WEIGHT GOES UP....I was, like NO< I only want it to go down, it is just a # on the scale we cannot let it rule our long tern plans. Bottom line is if you stay with this, it will work and the weight will come off, and you will learn what works for you...

As far as being embarrassed to show us your stats, NO ONE here will criticize or shame you...NO ONE, we will be more able to help you if we know where you are and what your goals are? Just saying...

I really think that keeping a food diary, recording EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth is a valuable tool, I have done it for years, it gives me accountability, and I am a visual person, I need to see it right there in front of me. And start your own journal so that we can drop by and support and cheer you on. It gives you a place to safely vent feelings and celebrate success.

Finally, as for the stall or plateau, when I felt that I was stuck...and I have to add that for me, even on M, I stay within the 20NC range daily, not to say that I can't go over, but not every day. I chose my maintenance foods carefully, that is just how it is for me. And I accept that. But when I was struggling to get to goal, and like you it was not fast enough...I contacted Atkins and I got a reply from their Nutritionist, of course it was not what I wanted to hear, but I thought, hey, these people have been at this much longer than me so maybe I should pay attention and listen, and guess what it worked...I have shared this info with other members and I hope it helps you too...
Here is what they told me....they also said it is not REALLY a plateau until NO lose for at least 6 weeks.

Thank you for contacting Atkins Nutritionals.

I thought the following things we hear the most often when people say they've plateaued, not been as successful losing weight or gained weight might help you get back on track:

1. eating less than 18 net carbs in a day
2. not getting the 12-15 net carbs from vegetables everyday (that’s approximately 6 cups of leafy greens and 2 cups of cooked vegetables)
3. too many artificial sweeteners/sugar free foods
4. too few calories: for women it should be 1500-1800, for men it should be 1800-2200

I hope you find some of this helpful, please don't be discouraged, keep on keepin' on, one day at a time, have a positive day, drop by my J sometime, I love company, ttyl
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 10:12

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

You have gotten some great advice above.

When you say you are on plan, which Atkins plan is it?

Are you saying that you've lost *no weight* since you started back on plan? How long ago was that? Not even water weight?

As zoogirl suggests, it can be so so helpful to keep a log of food. You can do it with pencil or paper of online with trackers - either MyPlan on this site or any other such as My Fitness Plan, Fitday or Fat Secret.

As far as your current regimen of eggs, sausage, cheese and coconut oil, it may not be a lot of food, and may not keep you sated, but it may in fact be too many calories for your petite body. Tracking would help you figure that out. Also, cheese can be constipating and can lead to stalls, and pre shredded cheese is usually packaging with starch to keep the shreds separated.

I would recommend you go back to basics, by the book. A great place to start is diet doctor.com. There is lots of LC advice, and a simple plan. It's free for the first month, $9 or 10 after that.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 11:19
Registered Member

BF:

dear liz53, thank you

i follow the atkins "new diet revolution" plan...

i did lose weight for the first 1-1.5 months, but for the last 1-1.5 months, i keep going up and down the same like 1 pound -

i am trying to think it might be "post induction stall syndrome," like this was a shock to my body and now maybe my body is trying its darndest to hold on to fat for a while...

...i do already keep a log of my daily food,

and i'm definitely not eating too many calories - in fact, it's a struggle for me to get enough calories - and protein and fat most days,

but i will try cutting out even more 'questionable' ingredients, like any shredded cheese...

thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 11:23
Registered Member

BF:

dear zoogirl,

thank you SO much for your thorough, HELPFUL, and ~compassionate~ post -

you also made me laugh, too, about thinking, yourself "no, i only want the weight to go down!"

i will try to relax, and RE-EVALUATE, try being vigilant for artificial sweeteners and the other things mentioned,

...i will try to hang in there, and think that, if i keep at this long enough, SOMETHING (weight loss!) will have to start again eventually...

and will try to swing by your journal, and i appreciate the invite!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 06:50

Plan: dukan
Stats: 161.8/161.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Dairy, sausage, lots of fat and processed foods always make me stall or gain. I started losing weight then craved cream in my coffee and cheese and poof, the weight came back. I have a love affair with dairy and I need to take control of things and end it. Everybody is different and I agree with the poster who stated that you will find what works for you. All the best and thanks for being you.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 10:37

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbum
Dairy, sausage, lots of fat and processed foods always make me stall or gain. I started losing weight then craved cream in my coffee and cheese and poof, the weight came back. I have a love affair with dairy and I need to take control of things and end it. Everybody is different and I agree with the poster who stated that you will find what works for you. All the best and thanks for being you.

I have the same problem with dairy - for me it's the cheese. Any cheese. A little bit leads to a little more which leads to a lot more. Then I feel crappy & have to deal with painful inflammation, weight gain, & higher blood sugar. Similar problem with nuts.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 18:53
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Don't feel like the lone ranger. Even doing LC + IF for a year or even trying PSMF for a fortnight I stayed the same 185.

Fasting finally got me down 1/2 a stone after losing twice that much. So far I've kept it off. I plan to do another short fast whenever I feel up to it.One-meal-a-day doesn't seem to work for me as well as skipping a day or two, but everyone is different.

Beware of dairy and nuts the for some. Sausage usually has some kind of "binder", starch or dried milk. I know, I used to make my own and stuff it.

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, Mar-27-18 at 19:06.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-18, 19:40
Registered Member

BF:

dear tanbum, bonnie_ofs, and mike_d -

THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL, FOR FOLLOWING UP ON MY POST! -

i am so glad that you all did respond to my post, because i've been meaning to come back here and update -

i literally did go to see a doctor, because besides (the weight GAIN which got me to be overweight to begin with, and) NOT being able to lose weight,

i also had seemed to have symptoms of hypOthyroidism -

and ONE SIDE (only) OF MY THRYROID IS ENLARGED -

i also seem to have symptoms of cushing's syndrome / elevated cortisol -

EXTREME WATER RETENTION,

facial redness,

exhaustion and yet can't stay asleep, and wake up very early every single day at the same time, with RACING HEARTBEAT -

it is AWFUL... -

that doctor did only basic blood work, and thinks my thyroid is somehow fine - despite that only one half is enlarged! -

(and, strangely, somehow my TSH, which is usually high in hypOthyroidism, seems to be almost too LOW -

but i doNT really have any hypERthyroid symptoms, and definitely not weight loss!!!

also supposedly don't have any "antibodies" which might point to hashimoto's thyroiditis.......)

and the dr. pawned me off on an endocrinologist to investigate my CORTISOL - at MY request -

...that endocrinologist will not see me for ...FOUR MONTHS, despite the RACING HEART i endure every morning, which is the worst worst worst! -

i have resorted to ordering saliva lab tests by mail to try to find out about my coritsol (and estrogen/progesterone/testosterone) in the mean time...

i will really try to update back here - for anyone else out there who is trying so hard,

keep doing the best you can, and... all of us who have struggled like you, are sending you strength!

love,
blu~
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-18, 19:42
Registered Member

BF:

dear mike_d,

question for you... doing fasting, did you lose much muscle?

i feel nervous about not getting enough protein, and i feel like most of the weight i would lose would be muscle........

thanks again for taking the time to help out...

blu~
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-18, 21:19
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskyblu
dear mike_d,

question for you... doing fasting, did you lose much muscle?

i feel nervous about not getting enough protein, and i feel like most of the weight i would lose would be muscle........

thanks again for taking the time to help out...

blu~
That's a myth, so is the so called 'starvation mode' as fasting up-regulates metabolism ~14% and can increase HGH (growth hormone) over 1000 times. If anything muscle is gained during or after fasting. The body salvages cellular junk for proteins during a fast in a process called autophagy or cell eating. I lost 15 pounds, gained back 10, but am stronger now judging by weight reps lifted, number of push-ups done etc. My shoulders ached or burned for several days after -- just from the weight of my arms -- but now I have delts there instead of skin and bone
Quote:
The deltoid muscle is the muscle forming the rounded contour of the human shoulder.

Last edited by mike_d : Fri, Mar-30-18 at 21:27.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-18, 19:44
Registered Member

BF:

dear tanbum,

hey thanks for what you said about "thanks for being" me! -

how nice of you! ...thank YOU for being YOU, too, cuz... you're an awesome person who spreads positivity to others!

blu