Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 16:19

Plan: Atkins for now/Paleo
Stats: 172/164/115 Female 5' 0" inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default I'm new...wanted to say hello

Hi there! I am so glad that I found this forum - you seem like a wonderful bunch of ladies.

My experience with PCOS:

I am 33 and married with one child who was conceived using Clomid. I was diagnosed with PCOS in June of 1997 when I was trying unsuccessfully to conceive. During my pregnancy I had gestational diabetes and when I unexpectedly became pregnant a second time in July of 1999, I miscarried at about 8-10 weeks.

Once I had my baby, I forgot about the PCOS and didn't really think of it until recently. For several years I have been having trouble with weight loss. And I just couldn't seem to make *any* progress even though I had started a serious workout regimen in January. My face and arms have been growing increasingly hairy and I just haven't felt that good in a really long time. So, I started doing some research on the 'net and discovered all of these health problems associated with PCOS aside from fertility issues and decided to start low carbing. I have been on the Atkins plan since mid March and have lost 15 lbs, but it has really slowed down the past few weeks and I am getting very discouraged.

I have a few questions though..I have an appointment in early July to see an endocrinologist - I am hoping that I can go on glucophage to help with my symptoms and the weight loss. Will my low carbing affect my test results so that it doesn't look like I have PCOS? I hope not because I hate the idea of possibly gaining weight if I increase my carb intake. Also, do you have to continue to take glucophage if you are at an "ideal" (so to speak) weight? When I was thin in college (103 lbs) my cycles were regular more often than not and I am hoping that if I can maintain a good weight (about 108-112) that I won't have to stay on the med.

Wow, this sure got long!

Thanks for reading.

Tammy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 06:32
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Hi Tammy

I don't have the answers to all your questions...I am sure that someone who is taking glucophage can answer those much better than I. I don't seem to have PCOS, but my daughter does and has been low carbing since February. She does not take any medications or birth control pills and seems to be improving alot just by diet alone. She has had two periods since starting the WOE and before that, she had not had a period in a year. She has lost 18 pounds and her energy level has skyrocketed.
The only things that she takes are chromium and calcium suppliments.

I think almost everyones weight loss slows after the first few weeks but, if you stick it out, it seems to pick up again. My daughter had to cut back on her cheese consumption before she started loosing again. The first couple of weeks, she only lost about 5 pounds and got very discouraged. She started at 159 and then stuck at 154. She stuck it out and is now at 141! Good-luck and welcome......
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 250/236/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%

Tammy,
I am on Glucophage xr and have been since 3 months ago. I have had fantastic results, never did have any side effects, but then everyone is different. What I would do is inform your Dr that you are LCing so he is aware while examining your test results. I don't see the need to go back carbing it up for this test. You have been doing well LCing. Good Luck and let me know how you make out.
Monique
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 10:43

Plan: Atkins for now/Paleo
Stats: 172/164/115 Female 5' 0" inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thanks for the info Monique. I go to the dr. on Monday the 8th so I will see how that goes. I am moving out of state at the end of that week so I don't know how much information I will be able to get out of the appointment.

I have increased my carb intake somewhat and am doing FatBurning Nutrition 40-30-30 which seems to be working well for me. My problem is dealing with convenience foods while travelling. Ugh.

Thanks again!

Tammy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 250/236/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%

Tammy,
I know all too well about the moving thing, Hubby is a Marine and we have had our share of state to state and overseas moving! Good luck with your DR appt and let me know how you make out.
Monique