Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, May-08-15, 12:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The Hunza's were frauds. They lied about their ages.

Quote:
During the 1950's, teams of researchers "observed" that Hunzas regularly ate yogurt and seemed healthy. The Pakistani Hunzas living in one of the most isolated areas of the world (America bombed their mountains while attempting to kill Al Queda leaders) craved the new found attention. One year after all of the excitement of discovery, a group of 60 year old Hunzas mysteriously became 75. The next year, they magically became 90. A few years later, they were over the age of 100. The Hunza myth (Dannon's lie) has been exposed in great detail in a book by Wilcox, Wilcox,& Suzuki, called "The Okinawa Plan."

http://www.all-creatures.org/health/fh-yogurt-lies.html
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, May-08-15, 13:47

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Nancy, on the same page we can read:
Quote:
So...let's set the record straight. What exactly is yogurt? It's a delicious pudding-like snack consisting of jelly, starch, and flavorings with naturally occurring pus, hormones, and glue. Thanks to never-ending marketing, Yogurt-pudding is called a healthy snack which people eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and after-dinner snacks. Pudding with jelly.

If that's how the record on yogurt is set straight, I can hardly rely on any other straightening of records from that guy. On the other hand, I can use my own brain to figure out fraud when it comes to longevity claims. As far as I can find, the only "evidence" for longevity claims for the Hunzas is a single article in the National Geographic in 1973. Everything else is derived from that single article, i.e. attempts to prove the claims through analysis of circumstances described in that article. Well, we have much better evidence for a whole lotta stuff besides longevity, and this evidence says low-carb beats them all.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, May-08-15, 21:39
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Oh, the Hunza, are there no more illusions? :-)

I don't see any point to living long if being so unwell. My grandmother has been in a care facility for years due to 'dementia.' And all the drugs they put her on for that which likely do as much damage as the condition. Not like anybody ever said "Hey let's give her tons of vital nutrients and see if that helps!" of course.

Anyway, I love her and it's not that I am wishing her dead or anything, but I feel horrid for her situation, and the fact that she ranges from rarely ok to ok but doesn't know anybody to incomprehensible.

It sometimes makes my dad cry, the toughest non-crying guy I've ever known, that is pretty hard. He thinks he is going her way. I hope not. His diet has got to be better, she was a carb (noodles and candy) junkie for many many years and although his wife has him on the diabetic diet (the "diabetes is a degenerative disease and here's how to ensure that" diet), at least it's better than what she had. He is 75 and although his memory comes and goes as does his apathy vs. inspiration, I'm 49 and I have the same problem LOL.

PJ
  #34   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 06:55

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

I don't want to minimize the importance of good nutrition. It's everything when it comes to preserving and maintaining health and improving longevity. Still, I don't want to spend years of my old age beating myself up for what I DIDN'T do when I was younger. So many debilitating conditions are simply not our fault. At the very least, we don't fully understand the complex causes.

If I live to be 105--very likely looking at my relatives--I think it will be largely because of, well, my relatives. And darned good (or bad, depending) luck.

Meanwhile, of course, I'm doing my darnedest to eat right, exercise, and be a kind and loving person so I'll have friends (and relatives) to visit me in the home.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 14:27

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I think sugars are a huge culprit whether they come from fruit or the sugar bowl.
Obviously people have been eating fruit forever but a fruitarian diet is way off balance...it's all sugar, really.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 17:18

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

This guy might have felt better and healthier by going one step further, to a Breatharian diet, which eliminates the sugar/fruit.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, May-09-15, 18:21

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

Good one, Deirdra. It certainly would've taken him to a 'better place'. Talk about a spiritual experience.