Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 11:46

Plan: n/a
Stats: 215/174/140
BF:
Progress: 55%

I'm in Eastern Passage too. Hubby is doing LC, I'd like to try it but I'm a veggie and the majority of my diet is carbs. I'm a very picky eater and there wouldn't be a whole heck of alot left to eat LOL
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 06:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: Maritimers

Just noticed this thread....are any of the folks who have posted in this thread still out there ...great to see a little contingent from Eastern Canada and that doesn't mean Ontario like most folks think.... ..aren't you just loving this great weather we are having...took awhile to get here but summer has come in with a vengence...

Am attaching a only in Canada, eh but several of these we in the Maritimes can really relate too...

Only in Canada

1. Only in Canada......can a pizza get to
your house faster than an ambulance.
2. Only in Canada......are there handicap
parking places in front of a skating rink.
3. Only in Canada......do drugstores make
the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get
their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.
4. Only in Canada.....do people order double cheese burgers, large fries, and a diet coke.
5. Only in Canada......do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters.
6. Only in Canada......do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.
7. Only in Canada......do we use answering machine to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.
8. Only in Canada......do we buy hot dogs in packages of twelve and buns in packages of eight.
9. Only in Canada.....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning
'bloodsucking creatures'.
10. Only in Canada......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

You know you're from Canada when ...

1. You only know three spices: salt, pepper
and ketchup.
2. You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
3. The mosquitoes have landing lights.
4. You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.
5. You have 10 favorite recipes for moose meat.
6. Canadian Tire on any Saturday is busier than the toy stores at Christmas.
7. You live in a house that has no front step, yet the door is one meter above the ground.
8. You've taken your kids trick-or-treating in a blizzard.
9. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled in with snow.
10. You think sexy lingerie is tube-socks and a flannel nightie with only 8 buttons.
11. You owe more money on your snowmobile
than your car.
12. The local paper covers national and international headlines on 2 pages, but requires 6 pages for hockey.
13. At least twice a year, the kitchen doubles as a meat processing plant.
14. The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
15. Your snow blower gets stuck on the roof.
16. You think the start of deer season is a national holiday.
17. You head south to go to your cottage.
18. You frequently clean grease off your barbecue so the bears won't prowl on your deck.
19. You know which leaves make good toilet paper.
20. The major parish fund-raiser isn't bingo it's sausage making.
21. You find -40C a little chilly.
22. The trunk of your car doubles as a deep freeze.
23. You attend a formal event in your best clothes, your finest jewelry and your Sorrels.
24. You can play road hockey on skates.
25. You know 4 seasons: Winter, Still Winter, almost Winter and Construction.
26. The municipality buys a Zamboni before a bus.
27. You understand the Labatt Blue commercials.
28. You perk up when you hear the theme from "Hockey Night in Canada".

Bonnie
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 08:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

Another maritimer checking in.

Born and raised in Ch'town, PEI! Living in Ottawa now, but soon i'll be making the big 13 hour drive to visit the folks.

Cheers,
BigJ
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 08:18

BF:

Well, Big J, great to have you join our Motley Crew ...PEI is so beautiful in the summer and suspect you will be visiting some of the beaches while you are home...

Bonnie
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 18:03

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 145/132/119
BF:
Progress: 50%
Cool I'm from NS!

Hi everyone...I live in Antigonish, NS. It was nice to read all your posts...very motivating! I have been somersizing since april this year, and I'm enjoying it! Any other sommersizers in this group?

Yolande
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 06:05

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi Yolande! Welcome!!

I haven't tried Somersizing, but my aunt had much success with it a few years back. I assume she is still doing well, but she lives in MB so I don't get to see her that often.

I have had much success with Atkins and have enjoyed that. I think you can eat wonderful foods on both plans. This way of life is not that hard to follow at all...well...everyone has their weak moments!

Great to see another maritimer here!! Keep up the great work!

KC
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 06:38

BF:
Default Re: I'm from NS!

Quote:
Originally posted by ydegruchy
Hi everyone...I live in Antigonish, NS. It was nice to read all your posts...very motivating! I have been somersizing since april this year, and I'm enjoying it! Any other sommersizers in this group?

Yolande

Ahhhh, Antigonish...have good friends that make the trip down your way to see family and while they are there have a big tuck out with lobsters one of his relatives operates a fishing boat so he gets them fresh off the boat bet you have had your share this year...great to see folks post here from all over the Maritimes ...B
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 15:28
Registered Member

Stats: 275/245/175
BF:?
Progress: 30%
Talking "Weighing" into the discussion

Ok! Day One!. I think I have just drank the entire Saint John River (The part above the reversing falls). bacon is my friend so far! is lobster OK?
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 18:09

BF:
Default Re: "Weighing" into the discussion

Quote:
Originally posted by Perry
Ok! Day One!. I think I have just drank the entire Saint John River (The part above the reversing falls). bacon is my friend so far! is lobster OK?

Perry...tooo funny ya I have noticed the river had receeded abit I am following Protein Power and have been since Dec ' 99...I have upped my carbs so I indulge in a bit more... it looks like you are still on induction so I would watch my intake... I suspect though that if you stay within your 20 carbs per day limit ( I think that's what it still is on Atkin's induction) you could probably fit in a bite of lobster one thing you can say about the Maritimes we have great seafood at our fingertips wish you great success on your LC journey

Bonnie
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 07:07
Registered Member

Stats: 275/245/175
BF:?
Progress: 30%
Default Bonnie - I need help

I can't find pork rinds in the city. Do you know where I could find some?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 07:21

BF:
Default RE: Pork Rinds:

yesum....The Bulk Barn on Prospect Street has them for 99 cents a bag...plain and BB'Q....also Scoup and Save but I think they are more expensive there something like two dollars...once you get over induction I will point out places to get some OCCASIONAL indulgences like LC chocolate etc...but I'm not tellin you squat until your well on your way ...The Superstore has President's Choice Lite Cranberry Drink made with Splenda...coming in around 5 carbs per glass (8 oz)...half a glass wouldn't be so bad and actually I drink it for juice in the mornings...BUT if I were you I would keep my diet plain and simple for the first little while until you see you are on a steady downward spiral. Northside superstore has Gluten Flour in the nutritional section to make bread and the Bulk Barn has all the flours like oat, soy etc... to bake with....if you need any more info just ask would be more than pleased to help...

Bonnie
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 14:02

BF:

Hi!

Just a quick note...

You can find pork rinds at most Zellers stores as well...be careful though....I got sort of addicted to them for a while! They are really great for special recipes, but they are salty, so they may cause water retention.

Take care,
KC
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 19:10
Registered Member

Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Progress: 0%
Talking

Hey guys, haven't stopped in for awhile now. Just saw the Maritime thread revived and figured I would take a minute and catch up with everyone down home. Hubby and I actually go to F'ton next week for a short visit, it will be great to be home!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 21:37

BF:

Hey Laura!

Welcome back to the maritimes...even if it's only for a short visit! I just checked out your before and now pics. I only have one thing to say....

Va-Va-Voom!!! Way to go girl! You look fabulous!!!

I'm going to search through some pics to see if I can find good representatives for my before and once I get to goal I will gladly pose for a new pic. I was a little camera shy with the extra weight on, especially because I didn't have clothes to fit.

If you are getting that heat wave over where you are, please don't hesitate to bring some of it this way!! It's cold and rainy here.

Hello to all you other maritimers too! Keep up the great work everyone!!

KC
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 03:08

BF:
Default RE: Pork Rinds In Zeller's

Quote:
Originally posted by slimchance
Hi!

Just a quick note...

You can find pork rinds at most Zellers stores as well...be careful though....I got sort of addicted to them for a while! They are really great for special recipes, but they are salty, so they may cause water retention.

Take care,
KC

Haven't seen them here in Fredericton in Zeller's but then again I haven't looked lately ...we'll leave that up to you Perry to scout out Zellers's ...Bonnie

Last edited by Bonnie : Fri, Jul-19-02 at 03:21.