Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: Nondieting/Moderation
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi Santabarb -

Your plan sounds interesting. I also found that when I ate mostly fat and protein in the past when I was doing Atkins, that I completely lost all interest in food. For me, it was a blessing because it brought relief from the constant nagging desire to eat. But eventually, the blessing turned into a curse when I completely lost the ability to get a good night's sleep and my hair began to fall out.

If it hadn't been for those two issues, I doubt that I ever would have gone back to eating the simple carbs.

The easiest diet in the world for me was when I was doing Atkins. I thought it was a lifesaver until those problems developed.

I spoke with several women on the atkinsfriends message board and found that there were quite a few of us that were having those very same problems. For some, even after being off of Atkins for a year or more, their hair never grew back in. I did stop the hair loss by adding back in the whole grains and the fruit.....but as soon as I did that, I began climbing the walls with cravings because I had gone so long without the carbs and eventually began eating the simple carbs again. Now, two years later, I've gained all the weight back plus more....of course!

I'm not familiar with Dr. Cordain's work, but it sounds like it's working for you....that's GREAT!

I'm coming from a Biblical perspective and from what I understand, our bodies were designed by a Creator and developed at the time of creation. The original Biblical diet for man (before Adam's sin and the fall of mankind) is found in Genesis 1:29 which says: "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."

I'm not coming from a position of trying to teach anyone what the Word of God says, but just from the perspective of looking at ancient man's diet, from what I understand, at the fall of man, God killed an animal to cover Adam and Eve because they became aware of their nakedness as they stood before a Just and Holy God.

I'm not sure if the meat that was left over was given to Adam and Eve to eat or not, but I have to assume so, because it was at that time that Adam and Eve were put out of the Garden of Eden and from that point on, all food that had originally been provided by God was now only to be gotten by the sweat of man's brow.

Here is another passage from the Bible that speaks to what they ate a long time ago. This is found in Genesis 18 where the Trinity comes before Abraham, and Abraham and his wife, Sarah, prepare food:

Gen 18:1 And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
Gen 18:2 And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,
Gen 18:3 And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in Thy sight, pass not away, I pray Thee, from Thy servant:
Gen 18:4 Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:
Gen 18:5 And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.
Gen 18:6 And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.
Gen 18:7 And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetched a calf tender and good, and gave it unto a young man; and he hasted to dress it.
Gen 18:8 And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.

So, from this passage, I can see that they ate bread, butter, and meat and drank milk. Was the "calf" a goat or a calf? Was it goat's milk or cow's milk? I don't know.

I know that there are a lot of studies showing what primitive man ate. I also know that there is a lot of concern for the grain that is grown and produced today for human consumption.....as well as the fruits and vegetables.....as well as the beef, pork, chicken and fish.

We have a small flock of chickens. These are our "pets" and we could not eat them (unless upon starvation, I suppose). We keep them for their eggs. Oh, these eggs are unbelievably good and healthy. I wish I could send you some because we have so many, I don't know what to do with them! We eat them all of the time. But we have had the dickens of a time finding chicken feed that did not contain antibiotics and other substances that we prefer not to feed to our hens. We had to settle on a feed for duck and geese because you can not give these antibiotics to ducks and geese for some reason. We grew all of our own vegetables for years until I suffered the nerve damage and can no longer work in the garden.

Feeding ourselves has become such a complicated issue today. Ugh! Life!

Teena

Last edited by Teena G. : Tue, Apr-18-06 at 21:09.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 15:27

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm not an Atkins fan either. Been there done that. Gained way too many extra back when I went mainstream. Plus ketosis and induction--not for me. The worst part was buying into all the Atkins and lo carb 'treats,'--ice cream, bread, candy bars--what a total waste of good money (nothing was cheap, of course not) and it shipwrecked me, got my sweet tooth going again. I love his book The Vita Nutrient Solution, it's packed with useful information, and I love how he has confounded the USDA pyramid promoters.

This board has been an awesome source of knowlege and inspiration. Better than any for-profit website I've seen.
Biblically or historically, I think we can agree that man has messed with what was placed here on earth, often to his detriment. If we eat what was originally here and discipline ourselves to be grateful for it, we can't go very far off the path.
If I sit around whining because I can't eat my Twinkies, my attitude is messed up. (Actually, in my case it's more likely to be a whole grain boule and some imported cheese that I miss). But if I keep it very simple for now, not trying to imitate any French cuisine delices, more in the mindset of a village dweller of humble means and skills living on the plains or in the forest, then I shall find success. God did not make Little Debbies or the Cordon Bleu, God made animals, vegetables and some not terribly sweet fruit(originally, before hybridization). We can add some ingenuity, but too much and it backfires (e.g., hydrogenation of fats, an extreme example).

The milk in Gen. 18 could well have been sour milk, buttermilk,yogurt, curds--I've heard Middle Easterners and Indians from the subcontinent speak of it as a daily staple in their hot lands.

The food industry in this country is not always our friend!
I don't walk down the middle of the supermarket looking for canned beans or chicken broth any more. If I have to go to a traditional supermarket (note the use of the word 'have,' if I am obligated to) I do so very circumspectly.

The obesity epidemic could never have happened in a healthy society that lives honestly off the land and is not married to its cars. I used to travel a great deal and after leaving the slim and muscular people of other countries would marvel as I stepped off the plane in the midwest and see so many huge blonde, beefy people. It was a huge conundrum for me. Here in the west coast you see the slender grandparents from a Spanish-speaking or Asian country herding around rotund grandchildren who will struggle with loss of limbs or eyesight due to diabetes as they leave childhood. We have created a monster and I find myself in the thick of it.

But I am not disheartened. This website and many good books have shown me that there are plenty of viable alternatives. It's a question of not getting derailed. God help us in this endeavor.

I've got fabulous rosemary in my garden, which I'd love to trade for some of your wholesome eggs!
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 21:16
Registered Member

Plan: Nondieting/Moderation
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Aw, Santabarb....I want some of your rosemary!

It sounds like you are indeed in the thick of it!

I live out in the middle of soybean country in IL. The closest store to me is a Super Wal-Mart. The only viable grocery store in my town! Hence, I "have" to shop there. But I await the farmers' markets that will be coming to town in a few months. Ahhhhh! The joys of summer!

Teena