Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 12:02

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%
Talking Anybody in the former USSR?

Hi!

I'm Robert. A Brit living in Belarus. Anyone out there live to swap Soviet low carbing stories with me?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 15:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/138/125
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default hi

I am from Orlando, Florida moved from Moscow. I am on Atkins for about 4 month. I like this diet a lot. So far I lost 20 pounds and my husband lost 35 pounds. We feel very good.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 18:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/211/134 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 43%

I am in California, but 2 years ago I went to Uzbekistan for 3 weeks,

there is a whole country poised for wholesale diabetes.

there wasn't one sugar free anything,

lots of sugar soda on every corner,

white flour,

little protein or even fats,

even before I started my LC life a few months ago I watched the extra sugar and always drank sugar free soda and equal in my morning coffee, equal was the one thing I did not take, and just ask my husband I took everything else, I expected real basic digs and we stayed at fairly decent hotels the entire trip, complete with western toilets,

we were there in March/April so their spring vegetables were not being harvested yet,

don't get me wrong we were lavishly treated, it just seemed that the average Uzbek feasts on white rice and white flour and sugar the best of western cuisine, oh dear,

I envy you your travels, would go back to Uzbekistan in a heartbeat, especially loved Bukhara,

how are you finding this diet in your city?

julienne
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 09:26

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Privjet Moskva and julienne,

I'm surprised about Uzbekistan. I live in Belarus and yes people eat sugar but the bread is mostly black rye and they eat 3 to 10 times more fat than people in the west. The result is that it is really difficult to see any fat people.

'sugar soda' may be on every corner but most people don't drink it - they drink home made compot. Also, a lot of the sodas are sugar free - they are not advertised as such you have to read the labels - sweeteners are cheaper than sugar!

I find it really easy to do low carb here. There are tons of dairy products and cheese is cheap. Meat is good quality and again cheap. OK veggies are expensive in the winter but while Belarusian are munching on their preserved cucumbers and tomatoes I can afford the imported stuff anyway.

I'm glad you and your husband are going well on theis way of eating Moskva. I was in the real Moskva (MOCKBA) a few weeks ago - it is a great city - I can't imagine why you left.

Anyway nice to meet up with both of you,
Robert