Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 19:14

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%
Exclamation Need ideas for getting the protein in

Hey, guys... I tried, and I just couldn't make it. I've tried to get in that 145g or protein...but I JUST can't eat that much. Is there some other way to do this? I think ketosis is really beginning to kick in... at least the effects of it is, even if the strips may not show anything until tomorrow, the next day, or ever. I'm just so DANG full! I only got about 17g of carbs too.. for the same reason. It's so late that I don't want to eat and eat then go to bed...not good at all.

Can I get protein powder (Whey? Another kind? Which is best?) and use that to help get in those grams?

I'm used to Atkins style of eating----eat until full, then stop.

I couldn't even eat 5oz of beef tonight, and I've got about 9oz of chicken or beef, whatever to go to actually make the 145g for the day! Blech.. I'm so full that I feel grose.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 19:33

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

maybe you just need to get some more calorie dense foods in your diet!

you could buy some whey protein, just make sure to mix it with some oil (flax) to slow the body's absorption of it. However, some people will get kicked out of ketosis by whey shakes.

When I'm not reaching my limits, I resort to things like peanut butter, cheese, nuts, bacon.

Also make sure you're breaking meals up, I go for a minimum of 5 meals a day, makes it more manageable...
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 20:04

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

protein shakes will help, i use a 100% whey

also add tuna and mayo, it kills two birds with one stone - lotsa protein and lotsa fat.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 20:18

BigDog and BigDaddy:

Thanks you guys. I'm a little undecided on the whey... sure don't want it to knock me out of ketosis.

I know that on Atkins nuts can majorly cause stalls in weight loss. Now, things tend to work way differently for men than for women, but I wonder if nuts could be a problem with that?

The fat I seemed to get in okay, but the protein... I fell really short of hitting that. I'd do a LC bar... like EAS, but don't those tend to knock people out of ketosis too? I think the EAS carb control bars have something like 25g-30g of protein, but the sweetners in it...and the hidden carbs...probably too much and would bring the day's carb totals above 20g.

What do you think??
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 20:20

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

Breaking it up helps more than you can imagine. My first week I was bloated and full and forcing every bite and I wasnt even reaching my requirments.

I broke my calories up into 6 meals of around 400 calories, it makes it so much easier. I eat every 2 hours, and I even find myself hungry now, it would have been impossible to imagine my first week that I would be eating more and being even hungrier.

Calorie bombs I have found are Snack Packs of pepporoni, 140 cal for 13 lil slices. Hillshire Farms lil smokies, a tiny package that has around 1800 calories in it, all fat and protien. Heavy Cream, a half cup is around 800 calories of pure fat. I get things I like eating, like fish and shrimp and tuna, and I usually wind up being too protien heavy so I have to get fatty things in me, which is the opposite of what you need. Seafood should help that out.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 20:28

Yeah.. I seem to get the fat in okay because I use a recipe for homemade mayo that doesn't contain vinegar or sugars like the jar stuff. I like it!

I think you're right about the smaller meals more often. Had I done that today I probably would've made it. The ONLY quota I made on schedule was the fat.

Guess I'll just try harder tomorrow!

Thanks, Beaver!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 20:43

yeah, nuts and cheese can cause stalls in people, I'm one of them...you just gotta use em wisely every now and again.

IMO stay away from the whey, I only ever use whey for post workout nutrition and very occasionally during my carb ups.

tuna is a really good source and quite light on the stomach. I would try and stay away from bars and supplements as much as possible, try to get all your calories from whole food sources.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 21:33

Thanks, BigDaddy. I think I will. Seems to me that I had a lot of trouble when I was using the EAS LC shakes, etc., too.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 12:28

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

For me, the secret is to get in a big hit of protein at breakfast. This means that I have some combo of the following:

flax toast with peanut butter 12g
lo-carb tortilla rolled around lunchmeat, leftover meat from dinner or eggs 15 g
a 'latte' made with vanilla protein shake instead of milk 20 g

AND (not or) a protein shake with 60 - 80 g in the shake alone.

My protein goal is higher than yours, so I try to get in 100 g before lunch. You can adjust as you need, but the shakes sure do help. I use whey and still get into ketosis. Pre-mixed shakes have 15-20 g and cost about a buck a pop, give or take a quarter depending on brand. I get mine at Wal-Mart, but I might start ordering online so I can really stock up. Carb-solutions makes a Cappuchino flavored one that tastes like the bottled Starbucks drinks. YUMM!

These shakes, btw, are also a vehicle for things like fiber, glutamine, a dash of potassium salt, oils that I don't want to taste, etc.

Oh, yeah - you may hear or read that the body can't assimilate more than 30g of protein at once, and that you will be 'wasting' anything beyond that if you eat it at one sitting. It's not true, so don't worry about it. Nat has the references if you want me to dig them up.

Good luck,

Friday
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 17:01

fridayeyes, are you saying you take in about 80g of protein just for breakfast??? If so that seems a little high to me! I don't know of any definitive studies saying how much protein can be absorbed, but that does seem excessive for one meal...and why so much from just a shake?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 17:42

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

At the risk of getting strung from a yardarm AGAIN for this , I'm doing 1.5g protein per lb of body weight. If I do 6 meals, that's 50 g per meal, and my am shake is consumed at my desk over the course of about 2 hours, so yes, between 6 and 10 am, I get 100 g between my shake and any food I eat for 'breakfast'.

Cheers,

Friday
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 17:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by fridayeyes
At the risk of getting strung from a yardarm AGAIN for this , I'm doing 1.5g protein per lb of body weight. If I do 6 meals, that's 50 g per meal, and my am shake is consumed at my desk over the course of about 2 hours, so yes, between 6 and 10 am, I get 100 g between my shake and any food I eat for 'breakfast'.

You should just make this your signature line, toots

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 18:01

Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

Well whatever you do all ya'll, don't eat tofu:

http://www.brain.com/Merchant2/merc...Code=body_13500

I am usually skeptical about "food XYZ is evil" claims, but this seems to be a well-researched article with lots of references. Hell, I like tofu myself, but interestingly enough, every time I tried using it as a protein source, something just did not work right. Now that I've read that, fuggetaboutit!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: PP/now CKD
Stats: 212/132/125
BF:?%/21%/18%
Progress: 92%

Hey West,
I've been wondering about you and now believe I've got you figured out! You have a split personality--witness:

"all y'all"--would indicate a Southern upbringing, but...

"fuggedaboutit"--Brooklyn?

I'm so confused, but then, obviously, so are you!

Fernie
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 19:31

Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

LOL! You're close - I'm a Russian Miami New Yorker (in Miami now). Not Brooklyn though - Manhattan.

But Miami isn't the South. In fact, it's probably the only place in the country where you have to drive north to get to the South.

So I say "yous" and "ya'll" interchangeably. Depending on which sounds better.