Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 05:45

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Love Breakfast, had bread

Love breakfast. 2 eggs scrambled with butter, bacon, grated cheese. And for me, a slice of rye bread with butter.

I know, the bread is a carb. However, I'm working backward. Instead of starting with strictest carb restriction and then reintroducing carbs, I'm working to change the balance to substitute fat for carbs.

So...this meal was 19% protein, 16% carb, and 65% fat. It's the easiest meal of the day, IMHO.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 06:26

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

for many of us, besides the gluten reaction, the bread would bring on cravings, making it hard to stay away from more.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 06:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

I know I couldn't do that.

My mind would say; "why not have one more piece of toast?...after all you had one...why not one more?"

And then I'd rationalize that Subway sandwhich for lunch...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 07:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi there, best of luck in finding what works for you.

It is possible to make bread from flax very easily and quickly.. and it's much more satisfying while not triggering over-eating. I tried this recipe, and I really liked it:

http://www.food.com/recipe/very-low...rger-bun-229625

I oven-baked mine at 380 degrees instead of microwaving it, and it turned out marvelous. Next time, I'll make more and freeze them.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 07:55

BF:

I hear folks. Not trying to tell anyone else how to navigate their journey. I tried the strict carb restriction (Atkins) in the past, read the books, am familiar with the program. It's just not something I could keep up with long term.

I count calories...something you are not supposed to have to do on low carb. But I'm fine with it. I'll take the wider variety of food and count my calories.

Also, I'm improving my diet and choices as the days go by. Who knows where I'll be six months from now? Perhaps by then I will have transitioned to a ketogenic diet. I just know me, and know I was not ready to jump to 20g of carbs a day.

I've lost 36lbs since April, and 5" around my waist, 2.5 inches from my neck. I can buckle the seat belt on Airplanes (I couldn't 3 months ago), and am in XXL instead of XXL-Tall...meaning I can shop in normal stores now.

Breakfast was always the easiest meal on LC for me. Just take away the slice of bread, and I'd still have had yummy, easy to fix and delicious meal.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 09:08

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

Being extremely restrictive can cause binge eating and we, on this board, are very aware of this.

You'll read peop who gave up wheat/glutin but ate off plan on pizza or maybe ate the whole pizza.

That means that person has not really gone wheat/gluten free.....same goes for dairy and all the other items that are given up after you read ________.

There are plans that allow your carbs to come from wherever you like.
Not only that, but there are many 'strict' LC'ers that have given up everything and cannot lose.

That said, go w what works for you. Success is individual.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 12:39
Registered Member

Plan: High fat low carb
Stats: 195/136/105 Female 61 inches
BF:

The standard North American diet contains 400+ grams of carbohydrate in a day. Any conscious decision to cut that number is a healthy choice. Many people lose and feel great on 100g of carbs a day, which is perfectly do-able with a couple slices of bread in the day.

But... coming into a low carb forum and writing a post about eating bread may earn you a bit of resistance
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 13:08
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Bicycle racers claim that while training "bread, if eaten, should be either rye or whole wheat."

If you were doing say "Atkins" you would be starting from the top of the ladder and going down towards the 1st rung I did similar when I first started, but the 3rd time I tried low-carb dieting did it correctly -- more or less.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 13:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctys
The standard North American diet contains 400+ grams of carbohydrate in a day. Any conscious decision to cut that number is a healthy choice. Many people lose and feel great on 100g of carbs a day, which is perfectly do-able with a couple slices of bread in the day.

But... coming into a low carb forum and writing a post about eating bread may earn you a bit of resistance

It's not a "No Carb" forum, and there are South Beach sections....and this is the "General" section....sooo.

Lee
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 13:29

BF:

I didn't post in the Atkins section, because I am am not following Atkins. I was in 2004, when I was was here. So, I've fixed my profile to no longer say Atkins.

There is a disconnect between my agreement with the science behind LC, and my desire/ability to eat a strict LC diet.

I'm aiming for 30% or so from carbs, which is low carb, certainly lower than the 55% our government is preaching.

If having a piece of bread for breakfast helps me be able to live with the diet, then it's bread worth eating. But it was one piece, not two...and butter not margarine....and eggs, not cereal or waffles with syrup.

If I get to the point where I'm not losing weight...then I'll have to become more strict. I'm losing near 3lbs a week as it is, and need to lose slower, not faster (1% being the rule of thumb and I'm no longer over 300lbs).
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: High fat low carb
Stats: 195/136/105 Female 61 inches
BF:

I said low carb, as it is a low carb forum. And I was agreeing with your post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: Winging it with IF
Stats: 392/267/185 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 60%

I can't eat eggs, so breakfast is hard for me. I've never -- ever -- had a breakfast that was carb free. These days I alternate a piece of cinnamon-raisin toast (17 grams), Special K Protein Plus (net 11 grams of carbs for 3/4s of a cup), or low-carb pancakes. (Varies depending on the size of them, probably ~10 or so considering I eat 2 to 3). The pancakes or cinnamon bread are served with butter, cream cheese, or sugar-free jam. This is always served with meat and sometimes an egg. Curiously, if I eat the breakfast bread and an egg, I won't get sick 70% of the time. I don't know if there's some reaction going on that neutralizes the offensive agent in the egg or not..
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 17:05

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I think it sounds yummy. And would be consistent with Lutz, or a Groves style plan. Or even Protein Power at the higher ranges if the bread was small enough.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 17:38
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase
It's not a "No Carb" forum, and there are South Beach sections....and this is the "General" section....sooo.

Lee

You are fine to post wherever you want.
If eating a slice of rye toast will keep you on plan, then thats what works for you. Please just know that if your loss slows, you can always not have it for a couple of days or weeks to see if it helps.

I am much like you in that I had to have certain foods while I was losing my weight just so that I wouldn't go crazy in my head from the restriction. I allowed 1/2 of a real bagel once a month and 1x 2oz portion of Dreamfields, also once a month. This strategy helped me to stick to my plan the rest of the time. That all happened 8yrs ago...and I don't eat bagels or pasta any longer. except sometimes, shhhhh!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 18:02

BF:

Hi Judy...yep, there likely will come a time when I can't eat like I do now and still lose weight. One of the nice things about WW, is they give you the calories of someone about 15lbs smaller than you. So, starting at 309, I could eat like a 295lb person and still lose weight.

As you lose weight, your calorie limit goes down too. This gives you time to make changes without being hit with a big shock.

I know on LC folks don't count calories, but I see little difference in the effort to count calories than to count carbs. I use the free MyFitnessPal app and website. It's a breeze.

I'm down to 273, so my daily limit has come down a good bit. I need my exercise (you track that as well, and it adds to how much you can eat) calories now.

So far this has been the easiest weightloss journey yet.