Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 00:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/255/200 Male 5 feet 11 inch
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Faster Weightloss

theoretically speaking if i am doing low carb about 20 to 25 carbs a day, get alot of veggies, lot of water! will my weight loss or fat loss(burn) increase if i burn about 500 to 700 calories a day?

i would think so right?!

i got this goal of 60 pounds in 3 months, trying to make it possible?
any other suggestion other than what i got?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazY_KinG
theoretically speaking if i am doing low carb about 20 to 25 carbs a day, get alot of veggies, lot of water! will my weight loss or fat loss(burn) increase if i burn about 500 to 700 calories a day?

Nope. Time to read some books: I'd suggest starting with Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taube. In it you'll learn why 'burning calories' with exercise rarely works for losing scale weight, why weight training (building muscle) is better for burning stored body fat, and what nutrients to eat to help burn that fat.

Good luck with your quest!

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 13:32

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazY_KinG

i would think so right?!

i got this goal of 60 pounds in 3 months, trying to make it possible?
any other suggestion other than what i got?

Yes it will. Weight loss is determined by how much of a calorie deficit you create. Dieting alone can work as long as the deficit is there, execise will add to that deficit and speed up weight loss. 60 pounds in 3 months is a lot! Its possible for some, but make sure you dont burn yourself out.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: Meat and water
Stats: 186/182/160 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I would assume you are trying to burn 500-700 calories through cardio... In my experience doing that much cardio each day just makes me way hungrier, especially for carbs. I would look into doing weight training to build muscle instead of focusing on cardio. Check out what Mark Sisson has to say on the topic.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 15:39

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

I do (and would recommend) a mix of both weight training and cardio. weight training while in a deficit will help preserve your muscle from weight loss. The more muscle you have on your body the more calories you will burn each day. As mentioned before doing the cardio will further increase the deficit you create in calories and help cardiovascular fitness.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 15:49

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 187/149/147 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 95%

All I can say is I took my calories down to 1000 day & 10-20 carbs & I lost very little. so I upped the calories to 1200-1400 & now im losing again . I do 30min-1hr on the eliptical (or) tae-bo & 30 min weight training 5 days a week.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 21:31

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I like mixing a good weight workout with a bit of high intensity cardio. As I read somewhere with reference to the TIME spent in cardio, "What's the goal, to spend the whole day doing cardio?" The fact is, your body adapts. So 20 min. of cardio can turn into 30 to get the same benefit. Then it can turn into 40 and so on. The best thing seems to be to do intensity intervals, and mix it all up. 20 to 30 minutes is what you need, but what you do is vary the intervals. You might start out with 30 seconds intense, followed by a couple of minutes at a steady pace. After you have done this a few times, you might do a minute intense, a minute slow, and so on. The key is change it up all the time. The length of the intensity intervals and the length of the recovery (steady moderate pace) is what you vary to keep your body "guessing." But beyond the high intensity cardio, I think the important thing is to challenge your muscles with weight training.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 06:27

Plan: 1972 Atkins Lifestyle
Stats: 168/159/140 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:35%/12%/23%
Progress: 32%

I have to be extremely honest here, because you might find so useful information about what I am saying.

I am a cardio junkie. Many successful lowcarbers have preached and preached to me about excessive cardio. I would make attempts over AND over again at consistent weight lifting, but give up, never giving it a chance. During a period of my weight gain in 2008, I was still doing about 60-70 minutes of intense cardio a day. NO ONE could get it through my thick skull that lifting would help me jump start my weight loss.

Since the very first of February I started seriously lifting weights (I still do cardio, but I don't run like a mad woman anymore, I get on the bike, stair master or thread mill and focus on resistance more than burning calories).

I've dropped 26ish pounds in less than 9 weeks. It's not only been due to re-dedication to low carb, but also a refocus on weight training. My body has actually is re-formed itself.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKatasonov
NO ONE could get it through my thick skull that lifting would help me jump start my weight loss. Since the very first of February I started seriously lifting weights -- I've dropped 26ish pounds in less than 9 weeks.

And there you go - it works! Yay for you - I think it's great.

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 15:40

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Most of the advice is great. Exercise, specifically weight training, is probably far more useful than excessive cardio, which as people have noted, can make you hungry and defeat the purpose. That said, some sort of daily exercise (moderate) is always helpful. Mainly it's about the food: it's the CONSISTENCY of your eating, day after day, that makes all the difference.

I know the info Taubes discusses about exercise not being critical for weight loss is true, I experienced it myself. My most successful Atkins experience was when I had a ski injury and could not exercise at all. But I did the Atkins induction eating (carbs 20 and under) and lost the weight effortlessly in about 6 weeks with zero exercise. So I know it can be done.

Exercise is good for all of us, and should be part of our daily life. Perhaps not every day, but at least several days a week. Moderate exercise, not the burn yourself out type of over-exercising. And what people mention above about weight lifting being far better than cardio...that's absolutely true. Building muscle makes your body's metabolism burn stronger, thus burning more calories due to the presence of added muscle. Complement the lifting with a moderate bit of cardio (for your heart!!) and you'll do well.