Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 11:47

Plan: Modified Protein Sparing Fast
Stats: 255/185/185 Male 5 foot 10 inches
BF:40%/9%/10%
Progress: 100%
Default Photo of my wife who lost 93lbs in 6 months...

I thought that those of you just getting started might get some inspiration out of these… my wife and I started a low carb/low fat/high protein diet back on Feb 4th of this year. I hit my goal weight 4 months later by loosing 78lbs… my wife is not down 93lbs with about another 20 or so to go…

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:15
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

WOWZA!! You both look fabulous. Congrats to you both!

Jo
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.5/237.5/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Talking Wow!!

This is just the inspiration I needed!! You both look FANTASTIC!!

I am at the end of week 2 and have lost 5.5 lbs...I have a long way to go and your pictures really help!

Thanks so much!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:21

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%
Talking Wow!

Good-Googa-Mooga! SHE looks like a fashion model and YOU look like a handsome professional body builder! Talk about inspiration. I'll be glad when I get back to my workouts because, now I aspire to look like you.

Last edited by Linda Love : Fri, Aug-22-03 at 12:29.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/131/120 Female 4ft 11"
BF:40.8/39.5/30.0
Progress: 31%

AWESOME PICS-
Please tell me what diet you are on and where I can find info on it.
I want to be awesome too!!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:34

We are (I was) following a diet called, "The Protein Sparing Modified Fast"... This diet only makes sense for people who need to lose a significant amount of weight and should be done under medical supervision... in other, please be careful if you are considering something like this... Here are some details of the Dr. who pioneered this diet along with a brief blurb about it... I am also attaching what I ate for the 1st 2 months of my 4 month diet...
George L. Blackburn, M.D., Ph.D., is an internationally renowned expert in the fields of obesity and clinical nutrition.
-medical degree from Kansas Medical School
-doctorate in nutritional biochemistry from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
-currently holds the following appointments and positions at Harvard Medical School:
1)S. Daniel Abraham Chair of Nutrition Medicine
2)Associate Professor of Surgery
3)Associate Director of Nutrition, Division of Nutrition
4)Director of Nutrition Support Services
5)Chief of the Nutritional/Metabolism Laboratory
6)Director of the Center for the Study of Nutrition and Medicine at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
-President of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity
-immediate Past President of the American Society for Clinical Nutrition.
-Fellow in the American College of Surgery
-Chairs the Massachusetts Medical Society Committee on Nutrition, and the Scientific Advisory Committee for Shape Up America! (Koop Foundation).

The protein-sparing modified fast (PSMF) diet was developed in the 1970s by George Blackburn. Blackburn, found that patients required 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight in order to maintain a positive protein balance, rather than the 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram that was recommended by the US Department of Agriculture . Although some high-level athletes can consume on the order of 500 grams of protein per day during high-intensity competition, it is difficult for some people to consume adequate lean protein without consuming excess calories, or to eat lean meats or fish at each meal. One solution is the development of a formula that provides a complete, nutritionally balanced diet. A formula-only plan can ensure that the patient obtains all necessary protein, vitamins, and minerals, while losing weight on a plan that can provide as little as 800 calories per day. Protocols may be supplemented with coordinated nutritional bars and/or some self-prepared foods. A physician or other knowledgeable health care professional should supervise use of nutritional formulas.

THE KETOGENTC OPTION: The Protein Fast through the induction of triglyceride catabolism, encourages the oxidation of free fatty acids at the hepatic level and provokes the famous physiological phenomenon of compensated acidoketosis that BLACKBURN called KETOGENESIS. The constant and controlled presence of ketone bodies in the body shows the perfect adaptation of the human system when subjected to a fast supplied with a precise amount of amino-acids.

As long as the human body has an excess of fat that should be eliminated through ketogenesis and mainly through the Protein Fast, the effects of ketogenesis persist during this diet and supply the body with most of the energy it needs.

All these metabolic reactions that take place during the Protein Fast and that Blackburn carefully described in his many books and articles, are absolutely safe.

As a matter of fact, this method is based on strict scientific data and its application should be made according to a precise protocol.

The Protein Fast has specific advantages that no other diet offers whether it is the low-calories or the dissociated diet.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

You two look fabulous!! Congratulations!

Does Dr Blackburn run a clinic or something? I did a search on him, and though his name comes up a lot, I didn't see any published books. How'd you come across this plan? Just curious.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
You two look fabulous!! Congratulations!
Does Dr Blackburn run a clinic or something? I did a search on him, and though his name comes up a lot, I didn't see any published books. How'd you come across this plan? Just curious.

The thing about Blackburn is that he never really 'commercialized' his research or findings… ... Even though he has published more than 400 publications to date and is on the editorial board of and reviewer for several journals, including, the Journal of the American Medical Association and New England Journal of Medicine. Unfortunately, he does not have a clinic. I found a Dr. here in Montreal that promotes a diet based on Blackburn’s concepts… Based on everything I have read, heard and seen… this diet is the closest thing to a miracle out there right now… another benefit of the diet is that due to it’s protein based focus (small and frequent meals)… it works well for people that are active and exercise a lot. The average amount of weight loss is 10-20lbs a month, until the body essentially runs out of ‘stored fat’ to burn!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 14:42

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%

vmax1500
great!!. Please share you work-out details if you
can. Immpressive six-pack... which I'm eyeing for...

neeam
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 14:55

Here's the thing about 6 packs... there is difference between having one and seeing one The only way to see your six pack is to be quite lean. As far as my training goes... it's nothing special, I believe that the majority of results people see or don't are based on diet! Here's my current training program... I do 5 sets of 5 reps on most excersises... my wife follows the same program but 3 sets of 20 reps for max fat burning and to improve definition...
mon+thurs chest/tris/shoulder
tue+fri back/bis/shrugs/deads
wed+sat legs
sun no weights just abs and cardio
I train abs 7 days a week... 3 sets of 50 leg raises with a medicine ball between my legs and 3 sets of 50 crunches with a medicine ball on my chest...
I do as much cardio as I can...
Since I lost all the weight, I have turned into mean lean fat burning machine... honestly, this is what I am eating in a day now... if I eat less, I end up losing more weight and feeling weak!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 15:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 365/295/210
BF:46/42/27
Progress: 45%
Default Pic are inspirering

Your old body looks just like mine does now.hope I can make the change.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 06:19
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Actually, your menu doesn't resemble Dr. Blackburn's Protein Sparing Modified Fast enough for me to see the comparison except that you are making sure to eat a specified amount of protein. The idea, as I'm sure you know is to get into ketosis, what Dr. Blackburn called keto glocosinis
That white bread alone would be enough to keep most people out of ketosis.

Here is what a book I have says about Dr. George Blackburn.
From The Woman Doctor's Diet For Women by Barbara Edelstein M.D.

Quote:
I met Dr. Blackburn at a conference on Nutrition and Adolescence. As usual, the major speakers were men, all well-known and full of the traditional pap and platitudes. It was a ho-hum meeting that offered nothing new until Dr. Blackburn appeared and told us about a revolutionary and exciting new concept called the Protein-Sparing Diet, or starvation with the addition of protein.

Dr. Blackburn and his colleagues at the Center for Nutritional Research at M.I.T. had done extensive work in the field of human obesity, and had observed that obese people make poor dieters but good fasters. Fasting has many advantages; primarily, of course, it accomplishes quick weight loss. However Dr. Blackburn, a short, decisive man with a staccato voice, said that even though fasters lose weight quickly, they lose too much body protein in the process. Fat can supply total body energy just as effectively as sugar, but it will neither protect or replace body protein (as found in muscle and organs). Even the brain, which has been thought to utilize only sugar, does very well using fat. Therefore, the Center had been working on a plan for giving people between 1 and 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight daily, or just enough protein to maintain lean body mass (which is the approximate weight of your bones, muscles, organs, and essential fat). The Center recommended as the source of protein lean meat and fish. This diet must be supplemented with vitamins, calcium, and potassium. After the first few days of dieting, the high level of ketones acts as an appetite depressant (as supposedly also happened with Dr. Atkins' Diet).

No one actually attacked Dr. Blackburn after his presentation, and although you could see the disapproving glances and feel the shock at one who had dared to upset the apple cart of the traditionalists. But Dr. Blackburn remained impervious; his credentials were spotless and his data were impressive.

Several weeks later I went to Boston to meet Dr. Blackburn and to study his PSMF Diet (Protein Sparing Modified Fast). In person, on a one-to-one basis, he was a typical, no-nonsense type of surgeon who had a remarkable understanding of the physical and psychological character of obesity. He made acceptance into the Center's diet program seem like conversion to a new religion; first you had to make a formal application for admission. (One of Dr. Blackburn's co-workers told me, "George makes it seem as if you have to walk on water to get into the program--but it's really not that hard to be admitted.") Then you were asked to give an exhaustive psychological, medical, and dietary history from the day you were born, and finally you took a psychological test, the MMPI (Minnesota Multi-Phasic Personality Inventory), to explore your anxiety levels--the Center felt (and I agree) that no one undergoing great psychological stress could be a successful dieter. If you were suffereing from a major illness, divorve, or a nervous breakdown, this was not the program for you.

The food allotment--I won't call it a meal--was 9-12 ounces of meat or fish daily, not to be eaten all at one feeding, as well as a vitamin pill, four calcium pills, and a dose of potassium. If you felt the necessity for more solid food, you could have one eighth of a head of lettuce, 4 radishes, half a cucumber, or pickle and clam juice. What about gnawing pains in your midsection? "Ignore them," said Dr. Blackburn helpfully, "they go away eventually."

Most of Dr. Blackburns practice was middle-aged (I am using an obesity-based criterion of "middle aged" as ranging between 25 and 50 years old), upper-middle class and overwhelming female. All had the absolute dedication he instilled in them; Dr. Blackburn was unquestionably a superstar. He preached total commitment to the cause, and would allow no failures in his program. "If you eat at parties, don't go to parties," he would say "If you overeat on vacations, don't go on vacations," "Don't entertain, don't be preoccupied with food, and move your body."

Dr. Blackburn understood more about female metabolism than any male doctor I have ever known. He realized that overweight women simply cannot eat all they want of anything except maybe raw vegetables, and the sooner they accept this fact, the better. Since his treatment of men and women was exactly the same (except that men got more food), I can't even call him a sexist!

I saw Dr. Blackburn make only one error while I was in Boston. He was working on an alternative plan called MiniMeals. These were chocolate-covered bars consisiting of a balanced meal of 225 calories each. You could eat 4 bars a day and have a balanced reducing diet. Along with the MiniMeals, Dr. Blackburn conducted a total program, including weekly group therapy. But the program turned out not to be as sucessful as he had hoped; one day I found him somewhat disgusted. "Barbara," he said, "how can people eat too many MiniMeals?"

"Dr. Blackburn," I replied, "you don't understand. If you are overweight, you will eat too much of anything covered in chocolate, even ants!"

The Boston program was sucessful because sucess was built into the system. Motivation, modification of behavior, money, movement, and a great male authority figure all made it a tremendous success. Dr. Blackburn's cures are upwards of 60 percent, where the national average is between 5 and 10 percent. The Center did not consider you a successful dieter until you had lost your weight and kept it off for 18 weeks--"touchdown" was not counted.

At the same time as the Boston program, a Cleveland clinic was working on a protein-sparing supplement using Casec (a powdered-protein supplement) and small amounts of sugar. It used the same protein modification fasting principle, but you didn't even get to chew any meat. The diet has since become popular, but I prefer Dr. Blackburn's methods--at least he gave you something to chew on."

Dr. Blackburn wanted me to carry on his teachings down to Hartford, telling me, "One good, well-motivated patient on protein sparing is better than ten patients failing on regular diets." I found it too rigorous for most of my patients; however, to this day, when I hear the Protein Sparing Modified Fast called a "fad diet," I get furious. There had never been so much good, intelligent, practical research done on any diet.

I ran the foods through fitday with the except of clam juice which they didn't have except as a clam tomato juice which I am guessing is too high in carbs to be used. Here is what it looks like.
Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 746
Fat: 37 333 46%
Sat: 11 103 14%
Poly: 7 59 8%
Mono: 14 125 17%
Carbs: 6 16 2%
Fiber: 2 0 0%
Protein: 92 370 51%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Beef steak, broiled or baked, lean and fat eaten 287 17 0 32
Turkey, NFS 234 11 0 32
Lettuce, Boston, raw 14 0 3 1
Salmon, baked or broiled 195 9 1 27
Cucumber, raw 4 0 1 0
Radish, raw 4 0 1 0

Totals 746 37 6 92

This was also medically supervised. I used the maximum amount of meat allowed 12 oz. It is too low calorie to follow for an extended period of time.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 06:56
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%

You two look awesom. Congrats on the great work, love the abs!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 09:41

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%

Elihnig, I liked your research. I don't know if you agree with me, but it seems a little too restrictive for me, but if anyone can sustain this WOE for life, more power to you.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 09:56
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

my god she is absoutley stunning and just look at them cheek bones, and look at you mr muscle man!! You must both be so proud of each other!!
Well done you are an insperation to us all, honestly you should both do some sort of modeling!!