Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 13:39

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Thumbs up Amber

Amber,

That is one of the best posts I have read on this board since joining in February of this year. I can't thank you enough for sharing it with me/us.

You have come a long way. Congratulations.

Sincerely,
Julie
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 10:49

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Cool That was great

your story sounds like mine except I haven't had any babies yet. I not only ate low fat or smaller meals & felt the same but I'd work out for 2 hours 5 days a week and all it got me was bigger & heavier. I couldn't lose any weight until I tried Atkins, which I thought I never do a while back. But now I've reached my goal first time in the past 10 years, I can honestly say that I am happy at my weight.
Keep it up you are almost there.

Josie

#78   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 08:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/182/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thanks Guys!

I am so happy to finally have my goal in sight, but even better is the fact that I don't care if I lose a pound each week. I am just looking for a better clothes fit and I keep looking at the muscles that are starting to protrude from my body! I forgot what they look like! I have gone from 156 to 152 in the last three months, but I've dropped from a size 15-16 to a size 11, so as long as I look thinner and feel better, at this point I couldn't care less about the scale!

Bye! Amber
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 21:14
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Amber, that was a great post. I'm going to go read your journal.

As to the rest of the thread, I'm really quite amazed at how nice you guys are to some schmoe like Toner who just wanted to get a rise out of anyone.

Whoever that was, probably some bored 12 year-old girl (and probably Canadian or from some other place where British chocolate is for sale - Aero bars are British), was only interested in honing some manipulative techniques, giving out some abuse, and throwing in a few logical fallacies. TomX, you caught one easily - the Appeal to Authority, with the AHA as the authority. Although if you actually check the article the Toner entity linked to, the AHA didn't say anything too conclusive about Atkins, just that they don't endorse the diet and they feel it lacks enough vegetables and fruit.

Poofie, I have PCOS as well. Has your sister visited Soul Cysters?
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:17
Registered Member

Plan: sugarbusters
Stats: 270/242.00/142
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default I thought this was going to be okay

But I see that no one dared to offer a response since dec4,2002.

Do all people get trashed upon for their views?
and is that why there is no running dialogue on this thread?
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:46
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Huh?
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 15:21

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Jujubaby

I'm a little confused about what you meant. Do you mean do we all heard other people's veiw because ours is wrong. If that's the case then we mainly hear poeple who are ignorant about carbs. I was once one of those people so I'm not being critcal of them , they are just uninformed. Not eveyone trashes this way of life , more & more people are joining us everyday.

Josie
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 19:12

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default I don't see where you posted Jujubaby

Unless your coming under another name.
What is more is that the original poster Toner was answered several times.
If your that poster.. not liking the answers is NOT the same as not being answered.
And dialogue?? where did you go?? Dialogue happens if you stick around.
if your not Toner.. who are you??
and what did you post on the 4th that was so critical??
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 08:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/195/145
BF:38%/26%/23%
Progress: 14%

I have just read all the posts in this forum. I found most of them very entertaining. Toner started out merely stating he found a way to satisfy his sweet tooth. He didn't say anyone had to do it, just that he did and he was still well within his carb level to keep the furnace burning those love handles. Wow he sure hit a chord with a lot of you. You jumped right on him for even suggesting such a traiterous thing, a half a candy bar!!!! If it works for him then why not??? I thought he was just sharing something he thought may help someone out there get over the sweet craveings. That's it. T hen he was attacked, called a moron, and as most of you can see finally left the forum. Too bad too it was very intersting when he was still posting.
I agree with him. I've been a totally devout atkins follower. I've given up, and that's what it is.. is giving up, chocolate and anything with white flour or sugar 3 years ago. Yes I lost weight very quickly but sorry, weak as I am I couldn't stick to that strict a WOE. Now I'm allowing myself some extras and if eating a 15 carb "candy bar" soothes whatever it soothes and takes me a little longer to get to my goal then so be it. I think tolerance and acceptence are great things. Do what works for you but tolerate if not accept what is working for me.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 16:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sorry...

Suggesting that someone on low carb exclude legal low carb foods such as veggies so that they can have chocolate and still stay under their 20 gram allowance (or however high their carb level is) is not following low carb and is generally very bad advice and that's what people were reacting to. There is no low carb plan that I am aware of that allows sugar in any form because of it's high glycemic value and total lack of nutritional value.
There are also quite a few low carb chocolates out there that rival any regular chocolate bar in taste and texture, so why eat the stuff that's full of sugar instead? Besides...feeding an addiction is the surest way to ensure that you will never overcome it.
Low carb isn't just about losing weight, it's also about good health and developing healthy eating habits so that once you reach your weight loss goal, you can keep the weight off for life.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 19:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/195/145
BF:38%/26%/23%
Progress: 14%

I have no idea what an aero bar is. I have a snack everynow and then of a bar that is called Pure De-lite. It is sugar free and only 15 carbs. I also have a Michelob ultra light beer that has 2.6 grams of carbs. If I eat right, meat and veggies and want to have either one of them then it's not wrong. If it allows me to maintain my good eating habits and still have them then no one can say it's not right. I am not saying everyone has to have either of them, I'm not saying it won't take me longer to get to the goal I want but that's okay. It's a much healthier way of snacking. I remember going to an Inches Away meeting years ago and the group being asked if you were stranded on a desert island what three foods would you take. These women all said well I'd take lettuce,fruit, and chicken. Come on we didn't get to where we are by eating lettuce,fruit and skinless chicken. I said chocolate chip cookie dough. Be real. They were trying to help us find out what were our danger foods. I thought the whole idea of Atkins or any other plan is it's a way of life, and to think you're never going to have a beer or a chocolate bar is setting yourself up for failure. Finding alternative replacements that are healthier choices is more realistic. I'm going to have my beer, and my low-carb chocolate, it's working for me and that's really all that matters.
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 19:41

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Nobody said you couldn't have beer and sugar-free chocolate once in a while. Just don't do it to the exclusion of other healthier foods or in place of them as the original poster was suggesting. If you're willing to trade slower weight loss and possible stalls to have those things, it's entirely up to you.
Am I never going to have a beer again? Probably not. I wasn't much of a beer drinker to start with, so giving it up on a permanent basis is no hardship for me.
Chocolate? The sugar-free kind as an occasional treat, but not on a daily or even weekly basis. As many people here on this forum can attest to, having those things too often can stop your weight loss in its tracks.
After nearly 2 years on low carb, I find that I no longer miss or even want those things that I thought would break my heart to give up such as bread and cookies. I tried a bite of one of my daughter's dinner rolls at a restaurant a while back and spit it out; it didn't even taste good to me anymore. Tastes do change.
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 02:07
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm finding the process of letting go of old foods is a slow one.

If I start thinking of some foods as forbidden, I start obsessing over them and want them even more. On the other hand, I have to be careful to recognize some foods can be triggers for cravings and I have to proceed with caution.

Lately I have established "The Rule of One" regarding non-LC foods. I may have one cookie, one chocolate or one bite of whatever it is I'm yearning for, and that's it. But first I have to engage in some inner dialogue to determine if it's what I really want. Oftentimes it isn't. This has worked well this past week. The challenge will be when I hit the PMS phase of my cycle.

Regards,
amie

PS When I first read it, I thought Toner's original post to start this thread was a sarcastic jibe, trying to provoke a reaction. - but hey, that's just my interpretation. On re-reading it, perhaps there was some degree of sincerity at first. Didn't last long though IMHO.
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 10:12
Registered Member

Stats: 137/130/107
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default debate

Great thread - I think that its healthy to have some debate on the forum. However, I agree lets keep it to debate without the personal insults. I was enjoying Toner's input until the name-calling started - even if he did feel that it was retalitory - it just went over the top in the end.

I too have fears about the lo-carb WOE, I don't find it easy, I try to convince myself that I must give it my best shot. After all using food the way I have for the past 25 years (since I have been responsible for my own meals) has only seen my weight spiralling ever upwards, and my feelings of energy loss and unhappiness ever growing.

I think one point that Toner and some others mailing failed to recognise is that - regardless of issues of healthy v unhealthy, and even if some of us are virtuous and others are bingers - it is our choice.

We are drawn to Low-carbing because we can (within the guidelines) adjust it to fit our own bodies, lifestyles and expectations.

I value the support that the forum gives, and look forward to more healthy or for that matter unhealthy debate.

By the Way an Aero is a British chocolate bar - its filled with tiny little bubble holes (looks like a honeycomb inside). They market it by saying it is 'the lighter way to enjoy chocolate'. (and exactly who are they trying to kid)

Ironic really that Toners original premise was so full of holes!

fx
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 13:38
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Ironic really that Toners original premise was so full of holes!

Good one fcranmer!

BTW we do have Aero bars in Canada too! Not that I would know much about that, oh no, not I , good LC girl that I am! LOL

amie