Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/177/168
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Snack lovers rejoice!

Induction allows for twenty grams of carbs per day (although they are supposed to be in the form of vegetables). I have found that consuming (or devouring like a mad horse) one half of an Aero chocolate bar and two huge handfuls of peanuts per day I still stay in Ketosis, as long as I cut the salad intake and limit my foods to eggs, cheese, meat, olives, diet coke and coffee throughout the day.) Halelujah. Problem is, it really is hard to stop at half of that chocolate bar. It's so good you know? But then I think of the little demonic lovehandles that look up at me and I trash that bar faster than an induction phase fart.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 14:14

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%
Default ???

I'm going to assume you are only doing that rarely, when you are having a major snack/craving attack.

Have you tried following the plan as written to subdue those cravings? I'm only on day 12 of induction and really don't have any cravings at all right now. Sure I'd love to just go hog wild and eat something "illegal" but I'm not craving it.

It's not all about ketosis...healthy eating is also our goal.

Good luck with your diet plan.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 14:43

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

'devouring like a mad horse' = form of eating disorder..hate to break it to you..but its true....I agree it's not all about ketosis..it's about controling our eating and being in healthy and balanced..what you're doing does none of that

I suggest no one who is serious about low carbing attempt this form of eating..unless you want to fail
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 15:00
Registered Member

BF:

"Devouring like a mad horse" was just an expression. I actually eat it slowly and savour it. Your point about low carbers not trying this.....gimmee a break. Who the hell can give up carbs for the rest of their lives? Let's be realistic here. You started this plan because you loved them so much they made you fat. What makes you think you're going to never gorge on rice, potatoes, bread, chocolate, ice cream, chips, and all the comfort foods that make life worth living again? I think the best approach to the Atkins diet is to treat it as a fast working diet to accomplish your weight goals, and then to switch to a truly healthy WOE, which includes low fat foods and moderate carbs. Basically, anything in moderation. Anyone who says they never have cravings is lying.

If you plan on staying on Atkins for the rest of your life, you need to do some more research about healthy ways of eating. High fat diets are bad for your heart. Look at ol' Atkins himself, barely made through his last heart attack. Be real folks.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 15:10

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:

No one who follows Atkins gives up carbs at all..if that's what you think it is..you need to re-read the book...I now eat 60 carbs per day and it's still rising as i continue.
I've been doing the WAY OF LIFE since april of this year...I do not crave..and I do not gorge..and I don't use food to make me feel better...that is what makes this plan so great..if you follow it CORRECTLY..you end up at high carb levels..eating balanced healthy meals consisting of natural foods.
You definately need to do some research..if you think 'low fat' foods which are 100% processed and filled with chemicals..are better for you then natural 100% pure foods..you might want to give your head a hard shake to knock some common sense into you.
Fat is not bad for your heart and Dr.A didn't have a heartattack..get your facts straight before you attempt an arguement.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 18:53

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:

Hi ya Toner

I myself found your first post quite amusing
You must be a writer...are you? Anyway I must admit too that my inital goal was to lose weight and then eat carbs in moderation once I reached my goal but I found I really like what I am eating now compared to eating junk food all the time but I never planned on never eating pancakes again!

I once heard that opinions are like assholes, everybodys' got one.

Later
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 18:59

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hi Toner,

You really do have some of your facts skewed (but that's understandable, since it's the same junk that's been fed to us for the past 20 years or so).

I don't know what an Aero chocolate bar is, or how much sugar/carbs are in it. I do know that it is important to customize your program to suit your own needs, as long as what you eat doesn't affect your ability to stick with the program, either due to the effect of fluctuating insulin levels or poor weight loss.

I don't stick to the Atkins program 100%. I have caffienated coffee, more cheese than I'm supposed to, and a couple of glasses of wine just about every evening. Once a month I enjoy an off-program meal. My weight loss is moderate, about 25 lbs. since early September. I feel so much better, though, and honestly am rarely hungry and almost never have the cravings I lived with every day before low-carbing. Before this WOE, I couldn't make it to lunch without some type of sweet treat, but now I don't even care.

Can you perhaps try a sugar-free chocolate snack until you're able to give it up? I strongly encourage you to really give this way of life a shot before judging it as a short-term weight loss. Take it from one who's been there, done that. It's not able losing weight. It's about being able to enjoy life, yet maintain a healthy weight.

Tami
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 19:56
Registered Member

BF:

Tems and Baconbabe (Baconbabe? What an awful sounding name),

Good eye Tems, yes I'm a writer.

And as a writer my job is to research. If you truly believe high fat diets are good for your heart, call the Heart Association and try convincing them. Are you really going to believe that steak and eggs and cheese are better for your health than fruit and vegetables (all of them) and complex carbs? Do you know what they inject into meat these days? Yuck. Your stool, if anything, should give you an idea of just how healthy long term fat diets are.

Tell me please what Atkins had if not a heart attack. It was a bypass, my dears, and of course his public relations experts are going to tell you it was nothing to do with diet. That's what they're paid to say.

It seems to me that Atkins is for lazy people who want an easy way out, by eating all they want and gorging. The right way to go, of course, is calorie moderation and excercise, not restriction of any certain type of food.

Ketosis is not a healthy state of being, thus the headaches and fogginess, and vitamin supplements that are necessary because the food the diet allows is so lacking in them. Ketosis is fooling your body into starvation, and fooling your body is bad move because your body is smarter than you think, and it will jump back after it realizes what you've done. I'll take 2 to 1 odds you gain all your weight back and more within a year, and two years if you've got the discipline of a priest. Oops, I forgot, even priests are slacking a bit these days, no?

Anyway fatsos, I didn't come on the board to change anyone's mind or beat up on their beliefs. I just thought I'd share the facts about high fat diets and their inconsistencies.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 20:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Toner, while we welcome debates, we also ask that you support your claims with facts, generally in the form of studies.

I also strongly advise you to keep personal comments on forum members out of the discussion.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 21:23

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by Toner
call the Heart Association and try convincing them.

Perhaps you missed Duke University submitting it's research and study a couple of weeks ago to the AHA showing that Atkin's actually lowered the risk of heart attacks. Shocked the whole country. Not sure how you missed it, since it seemed to make front page news all across our nation. Now the AHA has decided to run it's own research on the Atkin's diet.

I think you should do a bit more research there buddy before trashing Atkins

And about that heart attack. Do you know study's show that men who have their first heart attack are in the 30s to 40s. Diet induced. Atkin's is in his 70s, which tells me it wasn't the diet that did it.

Nice try though.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 07:12

BF:

Obviously, Toner, you are not here for advice or encouragement, but just to inflame a group of people who are doing the best they can to make improvements in their own lives and to help and encourage others. Shame on you.

Tami
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 07:57
Registered Member

BF:

If you read my first post you would see that my intentions were entirely helpful. It was when they were attacked that I retaliated. I am on the Atins diet myself so why would I want to discourage? I just think it's not a healthy diet for long term eating. And to prove my point further (at the same time blasting someone's comments about Duke University out of the water), here is an article on the American Heart Association's CURRENT view about it. Before posting it I'll just sum it up for you:

Duke University study on Atkins diet was funded entirely by Atkins Association. (Hmmm...can you say "fishy?")

AHA has NOT changed its point of view and still rcommends fruit, vegetables and grain.

Here you go:

http://www.azcentral.com/health/112...RT-DIET-DC.html

Now stop saying I need to do research and get my facts straight when all of your collective posts have been nothing more than naive opinions and factless arguments. People in glass houses......

I am the first on this thread to actually supply any form of backup, while I have ben criticized (by forum moderators no less!) for not doing so. Shame on you.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 09:41

BF:

Toner,

You are certainly welcome to disagree with anyone's point here on the board, or to form your own opinions about the various studies that are out there. But you can do it without name-calling and hatefulness. You were not, in my opinion, attacked. However, you most certainly attacked all of us in response to another person's view of your personal choices.

I'm not going to quote studies to you, because that's not the point. The point is accepting each other and our personal choices. And if you do get offended by one particular person's attitude (or even more than one), I respectfully request that you don't call us all "fatsos" and proceed to tell us that we are all wrong regarding OUR personal choices.

Tami
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 10:29
Registered Member

BF:

Excuse me Tami but when someone calls me an "asshole" (read the thread more thoroughly please), I think "fatso" is a relatively benign comeback. Funny how no moderator thought "asshole" warranted any warnings, but somehow "fatso" did. What is this? Kindergarten? Don't be so sensitive. Get over it. I did. I really don't care how much you weigh. I am personally glad to be my ideal weight for a 31 year old male, 175 lbs, 5'10" athletic build. The dark hair and blue eyes don't hurt either. But hey, we're onto bigger and better things now - like me living up to your expectations of proving my point. I have submitted some evidence for all of you to ponder regarding the AHA's view of Atkins diet. I see now that everyone has been silenced. How disappointing. I was hoping for a bit more of a challenge from people who blew hot wind about how great their regime was, and incessantly demanded facts from me. Well I've given you a sample of the facts and I see no rebuttle. It's pretty hard to argue with the AHA, I know. I will accept your humble apologies.

Love ya,

P.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 10:39

BF:

And no apology is offered. One suggestion, though. You may want to go re-read the post that offended you so much. It said, "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.". Nems simply was saying we are all welcome to our own opinion. In your jump to flame in response, you assumed the worse. But, of course, to assume simple makes an ASS of U and ME. Me, for responding. If anyone out there is still reading this ridiculous thread, please let me know how to ignore this thread so that I don't get any further messages via email.

Thanks!

Tami