Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 17:48

Plan: My Own
Stats: 154/141/- Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCats
I've been plagued my whole life with getting horrible reactive hypoglycemia from whatever I ate during the day, especially lunch, and it's so awesome to have good energy throughout the day.

TwoCats can you tell me more about your reactive hypoglycemia?

I am currently eating very healthy food (vegetables, a little fruit, free range chicken, grass fed beef, healthy whole grains like quinoa and brown rice, no wheat, no dairy, etc . . .) but feeling awful not long after I eat. I also drink lots of water.

Today I felt sick no matter what I ate (protein, vegetable, fruit, grain--although fruit is the worst). I will eat and then start to feel foggy, often dizzy and sometimes nauseous within half an hour.

This morning I felt so awful when I got up that I decided not to eat breakfast until I felt better. I wound up feeling better a little while later but not hungry so I waited. And I felt better than I have in days . . . until I decided to eat something.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you could describe how you felt before in more detail. I am thinking about trying the Warrior diet just so I don't have to feel sick all day.

-J

Last edited by JPaleo : Tue, May-24-05 at 21:11.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 22:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default advice

i wanted to start the warrior diet but understand absolutley nothin about it. can someone please tell me wat to eat and how it works. also do i need to exercise and how much do u usually lose and how fast and does this diet work for everyone i have about 20 pounds to lose.any other advice would be appreciated a ton. thanx
  #93   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 05:33
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Hi Latina!

This link gives a short version in a womenīs site/e-magazine

http://diet.ivillage.com/plans/plowcarb/0,,q50k,00.html

And in the posts #1,#4 and #11 from this thread I basically mention what I do and give some advice about making it a happy diet.

Stil do the same for two years now. I like it and I got a very different body from this. I start liking to wear tight t-shirts now...
  #94   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 05:45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinachic
...do i need to exercise

In my experience you do not need to exercise but it will help burning fat and toning your body. I strongly advise not to do too much exercise, it has to be fun for yourself.

You have to aim at an adaption of your life style which you like, not go the way of the on/off dieter.

Quote:
...how much do u usually lose and how fast

The experiences of people differ very much. I lost reasonable in the first year and then went slower to very slow. Since it is a way of life I donīt care to much.

Quote:
...does this diet work for everyone

No, not everybody will like it. But a lot of people donīt give it a real chance by trying to hunger themselves through the daytime and restricting at eating at night. Donīt!! Eat when you need some food, but eat clean food and no carbs during daytime. Eat a luxurious meal at night, and some more late at night.
  #95   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 18:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default couple of questions

-during the day can i have fruits or absolutly no carbs? just cheese and things like that?
-at wat time can the overeating begin is it at 1pm?
-is there a certain time u have to wait between undereating?
-during under eating is there a limit on the coffee and creamer or sugar substitute?
-can someone show me their typical menu.thanx
-does the overeating have to be in portions like in CAD?

im sorry i tried buying the book but their out of stock
  #96   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 02:02
Registered Member

Sorry Latina for the late reaction, I posted it in your new thread. I hope some more people react with their schemes.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...388#post5299388

It is a good sign you have the urgence needed to start with a new diet, you can use the search function on this forum to enhance your knowledge on many issues you will encounter.

Good luck!
  #97   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 11:18

BF:

I am thinking of giving the Warrior Diet a try.

I hate diets. I had given up on them last year because they were making me crazy. I also tend to feel worse when I do a diet. I get obssessive about following them then get extreme guilt whenever I stray and this affects my physical health.

I was doing very well last year when "not dieting." Previous to that I had tried the Paleo diet and was eating every few hours. However, it wasn't working. I feel crappy when I eat frequently. It doesn't make sense to me since most doctors tell you that eating every few hours keeps your blood sugar stable and thus will make you feel better. But for me it seems to accentuate the ups and downs (even when I eat mostly protein!)

When I was "not dieting" I stopped being obsessed with food and also stopped eating so much. In fact, I would often go for hours without food and felt better. I let my hunger guide me. I also ate fairly healthy food because I craved it when I let myself get truly hungry.

However, due to some IBS issues, my new doctor believes I have some food intolerances. So some restriction is apparently necessary in my diet. She has had me on a restrictive eat every few hours diet and it is driving me bonkers and also I feel terrible. The only plus is I am eating very healthy food. But given the quality of food I am eating right now (organic veg and fruit, grass fed beef, range free chicken, good whole grains in small amounts) I would expect to be feeling fabulous. And instead I feel irritable, headachy, foggy and nauseous a lot.

Now I trust my doctor overall but I am not sure she knows what is best for my body. I feel better when I eat less frequently. So I am going to try it.

Last night I had a large dinner and felt very good. I was not hungry this morning and I really feel like I am on an even keel. I feel less irritable.

I am not so concerned about weight loss (although I wouldn't be sad if I lost a bit and I hope I do not gain). Mostly I want to stop feeling sick when I eat. I want to enjoy my food and I want to stop being so obsessed with it.

I do have one question, though. When I eat a lot of food at once I tend to get heartburn more frequently. I don't like taking medications of any type so what would you recommend? Should I stagger my overeating meal over the 4 hours so I eat it in smaller amounts at a time?

-J

Last edited by JPaleo : Fri, May-27-05 at 12:22.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 00:21
Registered Member

Hello J,

I think you are on the right track with finding your own way. You build your own WOL/WOE and it looks to me you enter a new stage where you combine knowledge from others with your own experience and feelings.
That must be good, whichever road will come out of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaleo
I do have one question, though. When I eat a lot of food at once I tend to get heartburn more frequently. I don't like taking medications of any type so what would you recommend? Should I stagger my overeating meal over the 4 hours so I eat it in smaller amounts at a time?

Right, that is what is advised by some. In an articel in T-mag an personale implementation from the WD was presented with a 3-meal overeating period.

>>

Overeating phase:
7pm to one hour before bedtime
  • Dinner 1
    * Large lettuce salad with raw, low-glycemic vegetables
    * Protein, one to two pounds of lean beef, chicken, fish, etc.
    * Steamed vegetables (any kind)
    * Brown or wild rice
    * Fresh fruit (optional)
    * For seasoning, use two to three teaspoons of any good oil (olive, safflower, EFA), spices, lemon juice, tomato sauce, etc.
    Eat until full

Dinner 2 (one hour later)
    If you're still hungry, go for it! Eat anything you want. Really! You've tempered the effects of what you're going to eat during the second meal because you ate the right stuff in the first dinner. Be honest with yourself, though; if you're stuffed, don't gorge yourself some more. Try eating whatever you have a pang for, too, like pizza, ice cream, even candy. Of course, if you want to, you can be a wuss and make it nonfat frozen yogurt or stewed tomatoes, poached tofu, etc.

Dinner 3 (one hour later)
    Once again, if you're still hungry, be my guest. If you can make it this far, you're a bottomless pit. Repeat the recommendations spelled out for the second dinner, and then pass out. The following day, buy a toga and start wearing sandals, because you're one step away from becoming one of those Romans who eats 'till the point of bursting, vomits it all out, and eats again until the slave chicks can't find any more food.

Bedtime
<<
http://www.t-nation.com/articles.js...dy_67guide.html

Now this is a bodybuilders site, but their interest for clean food and a diet that burns fat is very intense!!

So I would advise to make you own arrangement in your overeating period, I myself have the evening in general from 18:00 to 24:00, but I adjust eating and timing to my schedule. Normally meat and vegetables at about 18:45, nuts at 19:30 to complete and be satisfied. Around 22:00 or 23:00 I take a vegetable/bean/meat mixture (whatever the fridge has) or some canned fish etc.

Good luck!
  #99   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 00:43
Registered Member

The Warrior Diet has a couple of simple rules:

- The undereating/overeating principle:
Little vegetable/protein/fruit during daytime
(no hunger is needed)
Abundant food during evening, this will give you a rich life experience!
(this wil enable the next day undereating phase)

- The in general avoiding of carbs with high GI. But no problem with some nice dessert, after you have eaten a lot of healthy food.

If you combine this with a moderate amount of cardio and a little of weight training you body will look completely different in say a year or so.
You will not be a bodybuilding type, but one of the hunks or chicks they use in the commercials.

Believe me, I was one of these fat guys, where the belly moves in a different rithm from the rest of you body when I moved. And then I don't even mention the change in health prospect!
  #100   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 18:53

BF:

Thanks for the info, Watcher. It's good to be able to ask questions of someone who has been doing this for a while. I am on Day 2 of the Warrior diet and so far so good. I definitely feel better when I don't eat every few hours. And I do have little snacks of raw veg, an egg or two and some fruit.

It does feel good to be doing something that makes me feel good and not because some doctor or book said it was best. I want to listen to my own body.

Here's another question about splitting up the overeating. Can I eat my large dinner salad half an hour to an hour before the rest of my main meal? I get home from work quite hungry but it takes some time to get the main meal prepared. Also, with my schedule, if I wait until all of dinner is ready I will quite often be past the 18 hours of undereating mark.

Could I set it up as follows:

6:30 pm--Large salad with a little dressing
7:30 pm--Protein dish with some cooked veg and bread or other grains (rice)
8:30 pm--some dessert or fruit if wanted
  #101   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 23:50
Registered Member

Yes, you can do this salad before the main meal, it is a very good adaption!
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 09:19

Plan: calp
Stats: 185/140/130 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Hey it's Amy, just bumping this thread. I find it very interesting. Has anyone had success eating this much at night? I've always heard that you should eat light at night because you are not burning many calories then. But then, you can't trust what they say, can you?
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 14:06
Registered Member

Hello Amy,

I know there is a group of people who do this for a longer time. Most do it because they feel better by not eating (much) at daytime, fitter and alert. And then the pleasure of eating to satisfaction at night!

If you want fast results you can be strict on it, if you take it for a comfortable WOL you do it more relaxed, adapt it to your own taste and style. The food involved is like South Beach maintenance or GI diet. The body building types do it with 'clean' eating.

The only research I know about on when you eat showed that it doesn't matter when you take your daily calories, late at night or during the day.

The research about eating during a 4-hour period a day shows this is beneficial to your body, better blood values of all sort.

But, as with many things, you have to like a controversial style to be able to do this diet against all 'common sense'...
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 16:40

Plan: calp
Stats: 185/140/130 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the reply Watcher16. To me, this diet sounds alot like the CAD diet that I am on right now. I can't seem to lose, though, because I can't control my RM. I eat too much, and too many carbs. Doesn't the Warrior diet say you can eat like this, though, and lose? Sorry I'm so dumb about this, but I would like yours, and anybodys opinion. Thanks, Amy
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 01:02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyvr
I eat too much, and too many carbs. Doesn't the Warrior diet say you can eat like this, though, and lose?

Amy,

Exactly about 'too much' and 'too many carbs' is what the WD doesn't worry about at all.

http://www.warriordiet.com/

The Warrior Diet . . .
  • Does not restrict any food group (protein, fat, and carbohydrates). Other diets do.
  • Is not based on counting calories. Most other diets are.
  • Provides eating plans which are designed with respect to the fact that our hormonal and endocrine systems change naturally throughout the circadian clock. Other diets ignore the circadian clock effect on the body.
  • Helps stabilize insulin without restricting carbohydrates. Other diets restrict carbs.
  • Provides daily detoxification. Most diets don’t.
  • Allows bingeing late at night. On other diets, it's a big "No-No".
  • Makes it possible for you to lose body fat while overeating. Not so with other diets.
  • Methodically helps boost your growth hormone – (a tissue builder, and a fat burner)– during the daytime hours every day. Other diets do not.
  • Recognizes the importance of smells, tastes and textures as essential components of the diet. Other diets consider them to be secondary factors.
  • Recognizes the importance of following primal human eating cycles. Other diets ignore it.
  • Acknowledges hunger as a healthy, powerful instinct. Other diets do not.
  • Guides you to distinguish between healthy instincts and addictive cravings. Other diets do not.
  • Shows you how to incorporate foods such as nuts, chocolate, coffee and wine with your meals without adverse effects. Most diets do not
  • Eliminates guilt and being stressed out. Other diets don’t.
On this site you find testimonials, success storys and publicity links.

You will get a mean and lean body, not by dieting but by adapting a new life style. Most people have a danger of not doing the overeating at night, but you have to trust and enjoy that part. I you don't eat enough your body will want to retain the fat!