Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 05:57

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default What the doctor said

I've started 3 threads since I joined this forum, all about my GI health issues.

Saw my gastroenterologist yesterday. Was blunt about what I'm doing, diet-wise, (though I spoke in terms of "cutting out grains and sugars", because people freak out less when you put it that way.)

Something flickered in his eyes.

"Cut out all grains, or just cut down on them?"

I was emphatic that I'd cut them out, and my symptoms improved.

Well, the doc wants me to go back ON grains... for two weeks, so he can test me for (among other things) Celliac's disease. (Yup -- more going on than just GERD.)

He wasn't sure if I'd agree to this, but very much wanted the test. (If I'm not eating ANY grains, he says, the test will not give accurate results.)

(Fats did not come up at any point in the conversation. )

I figure it's worth having the Celliac test, because if it comes out positive, I've got an official medical diagnosis I can wave when I hear the "You need to eat more grains!" from other practitioners.

So after 1 week of induction, I'm back off, for two more weeks. But in the week I was on, I faced a lot of potential pitfall-moments and sidestepped them.

And I came home yesterday (realizing I'd forgotten to eat breakfast, and it was now 11am) looking for something to eat, and absolutely flummoxed. I'd reach for something LC, then remember I'm supposed to eat grains, and try to grab something bad for me, and immediately revert to trying to grab LC.

So these 2 weeks aren't being an excuse go to back into full-carb mode. Just.... I'm having my chicken salad (home-made, from leftover BBQ chicken that came out SOOOOooo good) between two slices of bread, instead of in a bowl with a fork.

The reluctance I'm feeling is the same I felt the first time I ever went off LC. (I was pregnant at the time -- my first child, and what I knew back then was that you weren't supposed to do LC while pregnant. If it had happened 5 years later, I would have had the knowledge and support I needed, but this was then, and the doctors were adamant.) Like, I was so accustomed to eating LC that I could (and did) eat the filling out of a sandwich, leaving the bread, without thinking about it (and by reflex). I just ignored the rice/potatos on my plate, and ate the meat & veggies... it was the food-ju-jitsu I'd developed, and was super-good at, and it was HARD to remember to bite down on what I didn't want to eat.

I'm having the same issue now. It took EFFORT to put that chicken into bread... and then to bite the bread.

So, I'm choosing to comply, so I can get the testing.

Once the tests are done, it's back to full Induction. Not the end of the world, and MY choice. Just feels weird.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 06:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

It's only two weeks, and the doctor is right that if you are not eating grains then the test may be inaccurate.....

but...but...

the celiac test itself can be inaccurate, or at least, not showing the full picture for other reasons. The two best doctors to explain how you can have a Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity to wheat are again, Dr. William Davis in the Wheat Belly books, and Dr. Thomas O'Bryan. Dr. Tom is a terrific communicator...listen to any podcast with him ...he describes NCGS with perfect mental visuals (the carpet pile..I will never forget it )
https://thedr.com/all-about-gluten/

Numerous posts about this at WheatBellyBlog, including the latest research on NCGS.
https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/?s=celiac

Check Dr. Fasano's work too if you want the science. https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015...tivity-is-real/

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jul-31-18 at 06:39.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 06:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I don't blame you for wanting to get celiac testing while you're still barely out of the gate in terms of eating grain-free. I wish I would have done it. I choose to decline the testing now for the reasons Janet stated. On a celiac forum I saw recently, they're recommending a full MONTH consuming gluten, if your body is going to be producing the antibodies. If the blood test is positive, then you get a biopsy. I'm too chicken for that. Seeing as the only treatment for celiac disease is to eat the way I already eat, I don't want to put myself through that.

Will it make it harder for you to get insurance if celiac disease is a 'pre-existing condition?'
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 07:06

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'll just reiterate what has been said, a negative result on a celiac blood test does not mean that you are not sensitive to gluten. Also, I decide whether or not to get testing done for anything in part on whether the results of the testing will cause me to change my behavior. If the answer is "no" then I generally don't get the testing done. Another factor that weighs in on my decision to get testing done is the potential harm being done by the testing itself vs the potential benefits. Nothing could convince me to eat gluten or any other grain. I am not saying not to get the testing done but only to consider whether this is the best route for you to go. A final factor to consider is that it takes a period of time for gluten antibodies to show up in the blood. They show up much more quickly in stool but that is not testing that conventional doctors use. So you can even have celiac disease and get a negative blood test result. You can get stool testing done without a doctor's prescription at Enterolab.com but it will cost you out of pocket.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 10:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yup, Jean is 100% right. That test probably won't tell you all that much. If it's positive then you know you've got an issue, if it is negative then you can't rule out that you're got non-celiac gluten sensitivity. The only way to figure that out is by the process of elimination.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-18, 04:45

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

I'm Celiac and my colonoscopy /biopsy revealed damaged intestinal villi; it was not a blood test. The gastro guy is likely going to do a colonoscopy.

My test was after I had been eating gluten for a few months after falling of the Low Carb wagon. You could white knuckle it and eat gluten/wheat and still be easy in the insulin. Just stay really low calorie.