Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-13, 06:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 229/223.6/120 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default what frustrates you most about PCOS

The Weight
Infertility
Facial hair
a cycle that is unpredictable
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-13, 10:32
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I've come to terms with infertility, my cycles are now normal thanks to metformin.

The hair is a constant issue for me, and I once remember being so upset about it that I declared if the hair went away I would put up with being fat, but..........now I'm older and larger, the weight is is more of an issue due to the health implications.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-13, 15:54

Plan: Atkins-ish :)
Stats: 365/243/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I have made peace with my infertility but I will never be able to make peace with the hair growth I HATE HATE HATE having to shave my face and the body hair is grotesque! I also have over active sebaceous glands so I struggle with oily hair.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-13, 19:44
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste!
I have made peace with my infertility but I will never be able to make peace with the hair growth I HATE HATE HATE having to shave my face and the body hair is grotesque! I also have over active sebaceous glands so I struggle with oily hair.

I really relate - the beard issue is just ugh

In the spirit of trying to love myself, I'm growing my arm hair, and I look at it and cringe every time.......guess I'm not feeling the love yet.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-13, 10:18
Registered Member

Plan: hf, lc, rf
Stats: 215/164/135 Female 58.5 inches
BF:??%/27%/18%
Progress: 64%

The weight is of course bad for psychological/social reasons. For me at least, there's a lot of self-loathing that came on board with overweight-ness. Thankfully, though, it's pretty well reversible, so not the worst part, though it takes a fair second.

The hair is more an inconvenience to me than anything. I bought a home laser hair remover at the beginning of this summer that's worked quite well.

The worst, for me, is definitely the infertility, and with that the irregular (or in my case, complete absence of) cycles. The idea of not being able to have children fills me with a sense of dread and utter futility. I could get over it eventually, of course, but being irreversibly infertile would remove a very significant part of my sense of meaning in the world. Perhaps worse than the infertility (is such a thing possible?) is not knowing if it's reversible. Every week, waiting for blood and not getting it, wondering if it's only a temporary misfortune or permanent damage. If I already knew it was all for naught, perhaps I could move on. But the waiting, it kills me.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-13, 10:28
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merralea
The weight is of course bad for psychological/social reasons. For me at least, there's a lot of self-loathing that came on board with overweight-ness. Thankfully, though, it's pretty well reversible, so not the worst part, though it takes a fair second.

The hair is more an inconvenience to me than anything. I bought a home laser hair remover at the beginning of this summer that's worked quite well.

The worst, for me, is definitely the infertility, and with that the irregular (or in my case, complete absence of) cycles. The idea of not being able to have children fills me with a sense of dread and utter futility. I could get over it eventually, of course, but being irreversibly infertile would remove a very significant part of my sense of meaning in the world. Perhaps worse than the infertility (is such a thing possible?) is not knowing if it's reversible. Every week, waiting for blood and not getting it, wondering if it's only a temporary misfortune or permanent damage. If I already knew it was all for naught, perhaps I could move on. But the waiting, it kills me.

Have you tried metformin? It worked for me to get regular cycles.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-13, 17:01

Plan: Working to adapt my own
Stats: 268/256/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Being overweight isn't bad enough? Let's throw in a beard to top things off (story of my life....)!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-13, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 264/213/146 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 43%

Facial hair, facial hair, facial hair...The time I spend removing it every morning disgusts me.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-13, 09:16

Plan: Insulin resistance
Stats: 158/144/108 Female 1,52
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

Dark patches almost everywhere on my body (acanthosis nigricans).
Thick black body hairs on my belly, legs, arms, back.
Blackheads.
My body shape, I have a very fat back, I wish my hips were large too. Anyways I'm losing weight very fast because of diet, exercise, supplements.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 19:57

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 145/110/105 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 88%

The best thing was finding an affordable laser hair removal place in MA. I had it for years and years and was teased by the 'adults' I worked with. The hair was so depressing that I attempted suicide at one point, though there were other factors involving being over-medicated when mom died and I was in an abusive marriage.

The weight is something I've struggled with for so long. It's all in the middle too. Ugh. Depression really gets in the way. I was up to 316 pounds at one point, then lost 76 pounds. Gained. Lost. Gained. Lost. I was hit hard with PTSD. Now I'm more focused and off psych meds (they make me want to hurt myself) and hopefully I can stay on track.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-06-16, 13:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/205/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

The worst thing about PCOS for me will always be the weight. Ive dealt with acne for the majority of my life now, and have learned to live/deal with that. I don't mind the plucking and the shaving and i'm lucky that my hair on my head is still pretty thick. I don't want to have kids, so fertility is a non issue for me.

But this damn weight gain. And i have the classic PCOS shape too. Thick throught the lower abdomen, like an inner tube stuck around my waist. I have pretty thin legs and forearms, but my waist and my upper arms are HUGE. And even when i lost 100 lbs those two areas were my problem areas.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 09:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/232/100 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress:

If you are diabetic I suggest you ask about Actos. After 8 years of infertility I was finally able to get pregnant while on this drug. In two months time.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-17, 14:14

Plan: ketogenic/VLC
Stats: 522/456/399 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 54%

I am with you guys... Infertility, FACIAL HAIR, thin hair, weight, irregular cycles. Cycles do regulate when eating LC but the rest seems to stick around.

Like LeeMac, there was a time in my life I thought I could deal better with the weight than the facial hair...

I have never heard of Actos, wish I had earlier. I have now come to terms with infertility and hubby and I care starting to work on new "childless" future plans. It took years to get here but I am finally at peace about it. I am 35, hubby is 43... a bit too old to just start having little ones!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-18, 10:28

Plan: Under 30 Carbs a Day
Stats: 292/260/145 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress:

I hate being fat so much... But really hate the pain more... I may have endometriosis I don't know and I don't have insurance. I have pain during ovulation and pain thru out my period. I have a regular cycle but it's super painful. I especially hate my fat massive belly and my fat blocky shoulders.